Late night baby?

kateqpr

Reaction score
Having spent weeks trying to put Poppy into a routine (bed at 8 ) and her crying constantly when put down until she finally falls asleep at 11, i've realised (doh!) she just is in a pattern of going to sleep at 11, waking up at 10am next morning (with feeds inbetween)

I think putting her down earlier is just a losing battle, as she seems wide awake half the time, or fights sleep. Trouble is i've never been an early riser, so having a lie in with her is lovely!

Anyone else have a late bed night baby? I find it hard not having the evenings off to myself (OH works late, hence the lie in's work for us!) but am guessing if i want her to go to bed earlier i need to bite the bullet and start waking her up earlier?

Anyone else had to train their LO to change their body clock?

Molly doesn't go down till 11, I'm just going with it for now. Will see what everyone says as I would love her to go down earlier!

archie used to be just like this...he would sleep at around tea time then be awake from 8 til about midnight then sleep til 11

the way i solved it was to make his tea time nap shorter and bring his bedtime forward by 15 mins every couple of days til i got it where i wanted it

it was kind of hard restricting his afternoon sleep and he did get cranky on a few days but he soon settled down ...now hes in bed by 7 30

poppy is still really young and not 'eating ' breakfast yet so if the lie ins work for you then id say go with it though and enjoy...i had to sort archies sleep out as i had to get up in the mornings to get the other 3 off to school (i wwas late 3 days in a row lol) if i didnt have to do that id sure let archie sleep in

Brooke used to be like this .. she wouldnt go down until betwee 11pm and 12, and gradually its got earlier and earlier and now she's wanting to go to bed at around 7.30 to 8pm :)

Jack's the same. We tried bed time to start at 7... didn't work... 8 didn't work, 9 doesn't work. He just wants to be cuddled or lie on his mat looking around until about 11! Then he sleeps late into the mornings. We're just going with it for now. We still do the bedtime routine (feed, bath, crib) at 8ish but know that he won't settle, but we're doing it so he still has the continuity and hopefully he will catch on at some point!

What I can't understand is how you're supposed to wake a baby! Jack doesn't wake up on command lol! If he's sleepy he will sleep no matter what. So I don't think we stand much chance of shifting his routine round, we'll have to wait for him to do it himself.

I know! I got up at 9 this morning (early for us on a Sunday) in a bid to wake Poppy up a bit earlier. All that happened was she fed in her sleep, then zonked out for another 2 hours. I tried everything - even managed to get her up, dressed and in her chair, with her still fast asleep!!!!

Charlie didn't used to go down until midnight. I just started by putting him to bed half an hour earlier until bed time was 8.30 pm x

I was the same earlier on, now he goes to bed at 630/7pm! and sleeps till 730am right thru...

My second, Jayden, was a nightowl and still is to this day. Unfortunately though, as a baby, he would stay up until midnight but not sleep in in the mornings and only have power naps throughout the day.

I know! I got up at 9 this morning (early for us on a Sunday) in a bid to wake Poppy up a bit earlier. All that happened was she fed in her sleep, then zonked out for another 2 hours. I tried everything - even managed to get her up, dressed and in her chair, with her still fast asleep!!!!

:rofl:

Yeh, May was never having early bedtimes at that age so there was no point trying.
She then got herself into an earlier and earlier pattern and goes to bed for 7pm through to 7am now.
I am a big fan of letting the baby choose their own pattern and this has always worked for me x

Yeh, May was never having early bedtimes at that age so there was no point trying.
She then got herself into an earlier and earlier pattern and goes to bed for 7pm through to 7am now.
I am a big fan of letting the baby choose their own pattern and this has always worked for me x

Same, I agree. Alexandra wouldn't want to go to bed until about 10pm until she was about 11 or 12 weeks old and then suddenly one day she was grumpy at 7pm so I put her in bed early and she went straight off to sleep. She has wanted a 7 - 7:30 bedtime ever since. No idea why it changed but I think just going with the flow really worked for us. It just would have caused all of us so much stress if we had tried to put her to bed too early in the first couple of months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->