latest weaning guidelines - anyone got a clue?!

Ang1873

Mum to amazing wee girl.
Reaction score
what are they?

i feel like they change every week!

all the bumf i have from my HV is still saying 6 months starting and they can eat anything at 12 months

but, my friend in a different NHS area has been told from 4months they can start and by 6 months they can eat anything!

im so confused!

the reason i'm asking is LO is 4 months soon and she's starting being really grouchy, eating hands, not sleeping through night etc.

i bought rusks just to have in the house, but then realised she shouldn't have gluton yet so went out and bought baby rice!

i know guidelines are there for a reason but sometimes i wish they weren't - it just causes unjust concerns sometimes!!

i really don't want to start a big debate on the pro and cons of when to wean please :)

i did look through recent threads for something similar but couldn't find anything!

The guidelines havnt actually changed in like 6 years.

6 months is still the recommended time to wean and 4 months is the minimum.

honestly the thing you said arent really signs of needing to wean its all normal behaviour expected around this age.

we BLW at 5 months and would recomend it but some babys arnt ready then.

also rusks have alota lot of sugar in even past 6 months i personally would steer clear :)

It isn't just area to be honest.
I was told by one HV that I should wait until 6 months to wean, yet the very next week, another one told me that I should think about weaning as he was 4 months old.

I waited til Daniel was 6 months and we do baby led weaning.

all I would say is be led by your babys needs, if shes showing the signs go for it, but dont force it. Some signs you mention can mean other things such as teething.
I personally started giving my LO 'tasters' at 4 months to get her used to the different tastes and textures of foods so she wouldnt become a fussy eater. So one spoon a day. Never stop their usual milk routine though they always need it. But if LO is no longer satisfied by the normal feeds then its a sign usually, but if their gag reflex hasnt gone or they cannot sit up without falling this is normally a sign they are not quite ready yet.

yeah, i did notice the amount of sugar after i bought them and was a bit horrified! i've been eating them myself!! lol

thanks - i just wondered when my friend was told 4 months!

another stupid question - what's baby led weaning?

i could google it, but you guys have more 'hands on' experience!

hmm, she's no where near ready to sit up!

Lots of info in the weaning section on BLW..

What is the gag reflex? *Stupid Q alert* sorry :haha:

babys gag reflex is a lot further forward than an adults, so they are more likely to gag on food at the back of the tongue rather than at the back of the throat.
The gag reflex starts to move back at around 6 months old.

baby led weaning basically means letting your LO feed themselves, but using finger foods or handing them a pre-loaded spoon, rather than spoon feeding them puree.

https://www.babyledweaning.com/

My sister gives my LO rusks but she ends up having a quick chew and dumping them on the floor anyway, dont think she likes them lol, they are messy and loaded with gluten, though you can get the low sugar and gluten free ones :)

ah so thats why she gags when i think her fingers aren't that far back her mouth!

sorry - i didn't actually look for a weaning section before i posted!

feel a right tool now!!

and i thought i knew what i was doing! lol *blush*

hi, i started weaning at 4 months. I fully intended to do blw and was adamant with everyone that no food would touch his lips before 6 months. Well....the thing a few weeks ago bout changing guidelines to 4 months, my lo was exactly 4 months that day and had been showing signs. I read on here the majority of women were saying you know your lo best, guidelines are there to help but every baby different. I thought ok, i will try with some baby rice and see what he happens, he absoltely loved it and had no problem whatsoever in eatin it, 2 days later i gave him a spoon and he got it to his mouth. He was quite clearly telling me he ws ready, so despite my original idea of waiting til 6 months, i just went with it. I still give him all his bf's, and i always offer the breast before any solids, and afterwards. I was at a bf group today at local childrens centre and one of the workers there told me that the guideline is 6 months due to babies not wanting salt and gluten etc before 6 months. (hope that makes sense)
Go with wwhat YOU think. Since becoming a mum i have ad so much contradicting info its ridiculous, i am now in the mind set of if i think something, as long as it isn't putting lo in danger or anything, then just try and see what happens...if he doesn't like/want something he will let me know. Tbh this is working really well and i am amazed at the things he can do at 4 months. He is more advanced than some of the 7 month babies at baby group. Go with what YOU think. hope this helps xxx

my problem is, i've got no confidence in my abilities to make decisions!

i'm a 'what if' person - what if i do it wrong, what if something goes wrong!

i'd like someone to tell me what to do! but then that's not parenting! lol

anyways - thanks guys!

my problem is, i've got no confidence in my abilities to make decisions!

i'm a 'what if' person - what if i do it wrong, what if something goes wrong!

i'd like someone to tell me what to do! but then that's not parenting! lol

anyways - thanks guys!

I'm lik you or was til bout a fortnight ago! i have had no experience with babies til now, i dont have a mum to talk to so i pretty much just had guidelines and you guys to help me!! After seein what happened when i gave him the rice, that gave me more confidence in myself to try things with him, (i'm not suggesting weanin to gain confidence lol) ie letting him play with a cup/spoon and then bein amazed when he knows what to do with them! Have more faith in yourself hun, you'll be surprised what your capable of xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->