Leaking nappies?!

cissyhope

Pregnant with no 2
Reaction score
what is going on! for the last few days Lo has wet right through his cloth nappies (bumgenius and flips) i cant understand why? i need to buy some more but im losing a bit of confidence in them now :nope: any ideas?

when did you last do a strip wash? a lot of leaks can be due to detergent build up. also do you boost the nappies? which flips do you use - stay dry or organic? I have to boost my stay dry flips with a bamboo or hemp booster, same with my bumgenious nappies.

when did you last do a strip wash? a lot of leaks can be due to detergent build up. also do you boost the nappies? which flips do you use - stay dry or organic? I have to boost my stay dry flips with a bamboo or hemp booster, same with my bumgenious nappies.

Thanks for answering me Fluffpuffin :flower:
Iv never done a strip wash as a.iv not long had the nappies and b.im not sure what to do (but will have a look now)
I use stay dry and bumgenius I didnt realise you have to boost them more?! :dohh: where would i get bamboo,hemp boosters from?

Definitely try a strip wash (there's a link in my signature for how). Detergent build up can happen very quickly sometimes.

Also, it's worth considering your LO's age. It's likely that he's now doing big flooding toddler wees, which are very different to the little and often wees of a younger baby. Also, has he become more mobile recently - started walking, climbing etc? The different movement can change the fit of the nappy so sometimes you need to tighten them or adjust the rise. Also microfibre (as in the BG Pockets and Flip SDs) can leak when it's compressed, so if LO is bouncing around on his bum or something, that can cause leaks too.

Another thing with BGs/Flips is that the elastic can go slack. Did you buy the nappies new? How old are they? It's worth comparing them to newer ones if you can (a photo of newer ones online might be enough, I posted photos in the washing thread in my signature). At around 10 months old, our Flips started leaking horribly - the elastic had gone :(

If it's not elastic or build up, I'd boost as fluffpuffin suggested. Little Lamb bamboo boosters fit nicely in Flips (and I assume BGs) and they're really trim. As they're bamboo, they add a lot of absorbency for their size and they help with any compression issues.

Thank you very much Rachel :flower: I think it must need a strip wash as they are quite new nappies.Also its been mainly happening at night,so iv had to change him in the middle of the night (poor bub) as he is soaked,however it happened for the first time in the day yesterday.Ill have a look in your sig :thumbup: thank you. Then if not ill try a boost,where do i get them from?

Thanks again Rachel and Fluffpuffin :flower: i do think its kind of you both to take time to answer as we are all busy xxx

Oh hang on, I wouldn't expect an unboosted Flip or a BG to last overnight even for a newborn. They are really only day nappies. Some people can get away with boosting them for nights but that's only for light wetters usually. So if you're not boosting them, that's why they're leaking overnight. I'd say most people would get two hours in an unboosted stay dry Flip on a toddler, so no chance overnight. You could try an organic Flip insert with a stay dry one over the top - that works for lots of people, although never for us with my medium wetter. The Little Lamb boosters I mentioned will only add 40-60 minutes extra to a Flip so you'd need something more than them for nights.

I use 2 stay dry inserts in my Flipps as a night nappy.

as the others said for nights you will need much more absorbency. so a flip organic & stay dry together might work well for you.

you can get easy peasy hemp boosters and little lamb boosters on ebay for general use as well. I put 2 bamboo boosters under my stay dry inserts in my flips and that gives me 3 hours.

Oh hang on, I wouldn't expect an unboosted Flip or a BG to last overnight even for a newborn. They are really only day nappies. Some people can get away with boosting them for nights but that's only for light wetters usually. So if you're not boosting them, that's why they're leaking overnight. I'd say most people would get two hours in an unboosted stay dry Flip on a toddler, so no chance overnight. You could try an organic Flip insert with a stay dry one over the top - that works for lots of people, although never for us with my medium wetter. The Little Lamb boosters I mentioned will only add 40-60 minutes extra to a Flip so you'd need something more than them for nights.

yeah sorry,i am using a stay dry and a slightly thinner boost,is that not enough?

yeah sorry,i am using a stay dry and a slightly thinner boost,is that not enough?

I'd say not. If the average cloth nappy with its normal insert is expected to last 2-3 hours and a thin booster adds maybe 40-60 minutes if you're lucky, there's no way that'd last the night unless you have an exceptionally light wetter or a toddler who is mostly potty trained. I know disposables can do it because even when you're supposed to change them every 3 hours, they have all that gel stuff so they can take a lot more, but cloth nappies don't have the chemicals so once they need changing, they REALLY need changing :rofl:.

I'd say not. If the average cloth nappy with its normal insert is expected to last 2-3 hours and a thin booster adds maybe 40-60 minutes if you're lucky, there's no way that'd last the night unless you have an exceptionally light wetter or a toddler who is mostly potty trained. I know disposables can do it because even when you're supposed to change them every 3 hours, they have all that gel stuff so they can take a lot more, but cloth nappies don't have the chemicals so once they need changing, they REALLY need changing :rofl:.

Yep they sure do :haha: So thats where im going wrong :roll: ill definitely try a thicker booster tonight :haha: Although i might stiil have to do a strip wash as we were out today and he had wet right through :wacko: Ill have a read on how to do it :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->