Learning to take a bite.

SarahBear

Reaction score
I didn't do purees with Violet but I didn't do "baby led weaning" either. It was weaning and it was baby-led, but it wasn't "Baby Led Weaning." Before 9 months, Violet wasn't very good at feeding herself, so I helped her eat. Then at 9 months, she started mostly self-feeding. When I tried to give her things that required biting, she would try to shove the whole thing in her mouth. If I tried placing it in just far enough to take a bite, she would either suck on it, or sit with her mouth half open, waiting for me to do something about the fact that the food wasn't all the way in her mouth. The basic story is that she doesn't know how to take a bit! I've tried demonstrating and I've tried biting it most of the way so that she doesn't have to do much to get a bite off. This kind of worked, but she doesn't know how to do it without this help. When did your kid learn to take a bite and given Violet's history, when do you think she'll learn?

I think you might just have to give her time and let her explore and figure it out in her own time. Maybe try some soft fruits or well steamed veg and just let her do what she needs to. I'm sure it will happen in time.

We've done BLW from the start and I'm not quite sure when she could bite but it was pretty soon after she mastered just picking things up in general (6.5 Months?). But I don't think it's something you can teach. You just have to let them figure it out. Maybe because she's used to being fed it might just take her time to work out how to do it on her own?

I think you might just have to give her time and let her explore and figure it out in her own time. Maybe try some soft fruits or well steamed veg and just let her do what she needs to. I'm sure it will happen in time.

We've done BLW from the start and I'm not quite sure when she could bite but it was pretty soon after she mastered just picking things up in general (6.5 Months?). But I don't think it's something you can teach. You just have to let them figure it out. Maybe because she's used to being fed it might just take her time to work out how to do it on her own?

She's got the self-feeding down. She's been very proficient at it since she figured out the pincer grasp right at 9 months. It's just a problem when the pieces aren't bite sized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->