Leaving LO for the 1st time. EBM? Lots of concerns.

Kapow

OH, Moo moo and lil ted.
Reaction score
Hi

As my title says I've decided to leave Max for a few hours for the 1st time. We are visiting my mum in Wales this weekend and if I'm brave enough OH and I are going to the local pub for a meal. I have an electric breastpump ready and waiting but I also have a headful of questions!!

1. Max usually cluster feeds in the evening from 6 to 8, sometimes longer. If we're only going out for 2 hours max do I need to leave milk for him?

2. He has a dummy and has used it each night to get him to sleep. He has never had any nipple confusion between the dummy and my nipple but could he get confused with the teat and my nipple? Should I do a few 'test feeds' tomorrow to see how he takes it? I'd be devastated if he preferred the bottle and refused my nipple. How would I do this?

3. Max obviously does not know his nana very well as we live hundreds of miles apart. Would I be better off leaving him at mum's with OH and taking mum for a meal?

Sorry for the silly questions but I really don't know if I feel ready to leave him but he's almost 10 weeks old. I haven't left him at all yet!

Thanks for reading!

Kx

I would leave some EBM for him, even if he is unlikely to use it. If it isn't used that day, you could put it in your Mums freezer for next time? I've got a stash of EBM at my Mums house. Babies tend to take about 1oz per hour, so perhaps leave 3oz, but make sure you explain that he might not need it or want it, it is just there incase he does.

If he hasn't suffered from nipple confusion from the dummy, I think it is likely that he will be fine. Make sure you use the slowest flow teat on the bottle, and wind him after every oz. This will help reduce the risk of bottle preference (where they like the ease of using a bottle, instead of working hard at the breast).

I'm not sure about leaving him. How far away will you be? Near enough to come home if he gets distraught? When are you arriving? If you get there on Friday Night or Saturday Morning, then go out for Sunday Lunch or sunday Evening, I think that would be fine - give him chance to get to know his Nana. I'd see how his is. Perhaps leave him with her while you have a bath and see how they get on?

Thanks asacia, you speak a lot of sense.

I think we'll have a trial tomorrow and Friday and see how we go. The pub is only a few miles away and I'm taking the car if we go!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"