Leg cramps

diamond

Reaction score
Anyone any handy hints on helping to prevent leg cramps? I was in terrible pain last nights with cramp in both calves and both shin!! Ouch!!!

My mw suggested, having a walk each day, more bananas, more water and a warm bath or rub at bed time xx

I told my doc about this yesterday and he prescribed me a magnesium supplement. It's an orange flavoured drink to have before bedtime. I started it yesterday and did get cramps last night but not quite so bad, so hoping it's having a good effect.

I googled magnesium and apparently low levels cause not only cramp but can cause early labour! You can find natural magnesium in nuts, plain youghurt and spinach too. :hugs:

OOh I know how you feel. Im asleep one minute and then Bam!! Im up is so painful and this happens like 4 time per night. When it happens I jump out of bed and walk around on it and then it goes. Some one suggested doing 20 leg lifts before bed time but it doesnt work. I usually put a pillow on the foot of the bed and put your feet up, and that stops it abit.. nothing else seems to make it stop completely.. xx

Try stretching before you get into bed. I stand a foot or so back from the wall and then lean forward resting my hands flat on the wall (if that makes sense!). This stretches the muscles at the back of the leg and seems to help a bit. Also if I start to feel it coming on in bed I point by toes upwards and that stretches the muscle too. Yesterday my midwife also suggested tonic water as quinine is supposed to help - she said to drink it thorughout the day.

I did have this a few months back now at night - but seems to have gone, but the other day I had this for a couple of days just in one leg while I was walking around or pegging washing out etc - in my thigh, really severe muscle spasam that makes me need to grab something before I fall over, then its over in seconds. Haven't had it for a few days - strange!!

okay... don't shoot me down but I heard this on a pregnancy podcast - an old wives tale which seems to work!

place a piece of soap (as in a bar of soap) at the foot of the bed, between the sheet and the matress...
stops leg cramps.... apparently.
Try googling 'leg cramps soap trick'

good luck!
LP
xox

Wow! I will definitely try the soap thing! Got bad cramps again last night despite the horrible magnesium drink!

i've been getting bad leg cramps since my fifth month. the flexing your toes upwards trick that flowers1 mentioned is the absolute best thing. but you have to do it as soon as you feel it coming on. and it will stop the cramp developing.

I've had Sciatica in my back that has travelled down my legs right to my foot several times during my pregnancy. It makes your legs ache terribly. The docs would only give me paracetamol but putting an electric heat pad on it and a pillow in between your legs or under your feet to raise them seems to help. Otherwise you just have to ride it out :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->