Leg/feet cramps

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by MommaT, Apr 14, 2009.

1. MommaT

MommaT Well-Known Member

I’ve been getting really bad cramps in my legs and feet for the last few days and its getting worse each day. I have RLS (restless leg syndrome) + cramps that you get when pregnant = really bad pain. Eating calcium rich food and taking a calcium supplement usually works but even that isn’t helping.

I have a Dr app on Thursday but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tricks that may work until I talk to my Dr.

2. Ravelyn

Ravelyn Well-Known Member

May not be calcium your body is deprived of. Could be potassium or magnesium.
    Also if you are dehydrated, it will also be a cause of muscle spasms.

One way to help ease them, a warm bath in epson salts. It has done WONDERS for me. A nice warm bath every 2-3 days in epson salts calms my muscles down enough that I have not had any cramps lately. Also find that having my legs up for longer periods of time and off my feet help a lot.

Good luck hun.

3. mama2b

mama2b Mummy & TTC

Try bananas, I found that worked for me and getting oh to massage my calves before bed helped loads.

I always heard it was lack of potassium that caused it not calcium, so maybe the bananas will work for you :) I noticed a difference even just eating one a day x

4. Jemma_x

Jemma_x Mummy and Engaged

I had really bad cramps in my calfs for the last few weeks and i just have a bath when they get really bad but if im honest it doesnt do much for me, im just a big wimp and everything hurts way to much lol

5. dizzy duck

dizzy duck Mummy to Oliver

When you are resting or sleeping try a pillow under your feet, I find it really helps. Take care :hugs: XX

6. channy3232

channy3232 Well-Known Member

Last dr appt I had my doc also said calcium. I asked about potassium and he shrugged and said nah. So I guess calcium it is.

7. mama2b

mama2b Mummy & TTC

8. channy3232

channy3232 Well-Known Member

yeah I know. I've always always always heard potassium. I would get them when i was younger and my mom told me to eat bananas. The dr I had my appt with last time said that an old colleague of his used to think it was TOO much calcium. So who knows?!!?

9. Aidedhoney

Aidedhoney Mum of Nats & Alex

I asked my mw about this at 24wks and i was getting them ocassionaly, she said legs raised at bed time with a pillow, more fluids, try a warm bath and have more milk/cheese and a banana a day...................
    Seems to have done the trick not had it since then thank god!!!!!!

xxx

10. Kitten

Kitten Mummy to Theakston & Nyah

Rotating your ankles and pointing your feet up and down is supposed to help, my midwife gave me these as exercises to help prevent and relieve leg cramps.

11. leighbaby

leighbaby yummy mummy

Ooh - I was rudely awoken by cramp in my calf a couple of days ago and I still can't walk properly!

My mum and SIL both recommended tonic water to me - it contains a chemical called quinine that is supposed to help (used for various ailments I think)...I haven't had cramp since and nor did they.

12. MommaT

MommaT Well-Known Member

Thanks so much ladies! I’m desperate to get some relief so I’m going to try all of these, lol The only thing I know it can’t be is dehydration but I’m going to give everything else a try.

Thanks again!