Less sleep than other kids

leeanne

Mom of 3 and Stepmom of 2
Reaction score
Some kids just need less sleep than others.

My son Jayden who is 6 has been one who needed less sleep from the time he was a baby.

I thought this might change once he hit Grade 1, was in the routine of school and up earlier in the mornings. Haha, not a chance. He was up until 11:30 last night. You'd think he'd be tired by 8 or 9 at night.

There's absolutely nothing I can do about it...nothing.

Anyone else have a nightowl child?

I myself used to be one. I just couldn't sleep, it must have been hard for my parents. My children are all heavy sleepers, if they go to bed a bit too late.... crrranky next day! And they do not believe I didn't need much sleep when I was young, because nowadays I seem to make up for it!!!

I used to be a night owl as well, but would spend most of the evening in my own room and just watch tv or read. Would usually go up after watching a movie with my parents (around 22:30) and then read until around midnight, up again at 7!

Then at around 12 I got a computer in my room, dearie me did my poor parents have a battle on their hands. I'd stay up in chat rooms until around 3 in the morning (worked out well with the American time difference) and be up again at 7, many a nights did I get shouted at and told to go to sleep. Never worked.

Now I'm old and knackered, lmao. At only 22 I still go to sleep late, usually around 3 or 4, but get up after noon some time. Definitely need my sleep now. So it probably will change, just not in time for you to enjoy it ;)

As long as he's getting enough sleep to pay attention during the day and be a happy child, I'd just encourage him to entertain himself in the evening (so you and your DH still get 'you' time without children around) and pick his own bed times I guess. Worked well enough for me.

Katie as never slept but now she is older 10 she still goes bed at 8pm no matter what and told to read if she cant sleep also same goes in morning she isnt allowed downstairs til 6 i have to be strict or she wouldnt ever try to sleep x

My son is 9 and we try to have him in bed before 8 pm as he has to be up for school at 5am. During weekends, no matter how late he will sleep, let's say 10pm, he is up at 5am. When we tell him to go back to sleep, he says he has a hard time doing so. It's frustrating as I feel he needs to get more sleep at his age. He sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night saying he has nightmares and he has trouble getting back to sleep. I have tried getting him to nap when we know we will be staying out late, but it becomes more difficult for him to settle downp at night and he is still up at 5am the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->