Let's talk age gaps!

sarah34

Expecting baby #2
Reaction score
Hi all,

We have a son who is just over 14 months and I'm broody for another! My question is what kind of age gap do you have and how does it work out for you?

I know everyone is different but I can still remember how tough I found the night feeds and the lack of sleep!
Also, although I loved being pregnant I did have a rough time looking bad. Not so much physically but mentally and hormone wise I was a mess! I can't imagine being like that and having a toddler! Do you think it would just be a case of not having any choice sort of thing?

Tia xxx

My daughter is 25 months and for us the age gap is tied to childcare cost... We are constantly flip flopping between ttc dates because of it :(
My daughter is very independent by nature and does well with bed times/ sleep, but she does have feeding issues and meal times are still very stressful. For us its also the fact that if we have a baby before she goes to JK we will have to drop down to part time daycare 3 days a week and I will be home alone with a toddler and a newborn 3 days a week and my husband is home on Sundays...
I would love a 3 year age gap but it may not be in the cards for us :(

We have a 4 year age gap between my ds and dd. We had no plans as such to have another but when ds started nursery and I had more time at home alone we started thinking how nice it would be to plan another baby for when ds started school. It's kinda this one in school and one out the womb system lol. But seemed to have worked very well for us. I was able to spend the first year at home with baby during the day and evenings all together. DS was dry and sleeping through for several years by then and I felt like I had recouped from those early years of broken sleep, potty training and terrible threeanger behaviour. Number 2 slotted in just fine with our family and whilst they are quite different in terms of likes/ interests, ds has taken on his role of big protective brother and has the patience to play and help his little sister. Unfortunately this time we have over run our 4 year course as dd turns 4 in November and I am months away from even trying but hey ho, we thought we were finished having babies when she was born but have recently changed our minds again. I love having those early years at home with baby and everyone else at school, it all just feels that little more relaxed!

If all goes well we might have a 14 monthage gap or so. I think we're ready to start ttc & I can't wait.

If age wasn't a concern then yes I'd probably wait 2 years or so, but being 35 & wanting a big family means we don't have much time to loose.

Can't wait to be pregnant again!!!

We had originally wanted a 2.5yr age gap, partly due to childcare costs and being able to get free childcare once DD turns 3, but that age gap is now more likely to be closer to 4yrs as we've decided to wait until after our wedding.

My little boy is just a couple of days older than yours, sarah. :flower:

I'd quite happily get pregnant now and have a small age gap, but I was lucky with an easy pregnancy, only got to 36 weeks and our baby boy is very easy too! I can easily imagine managing both him and a newborn, although hubby does help a lot. Knowing my luck, I will either not manage to conceive again, or get a baby who is hard work..... :wacko:

I'm not sure myself. My ds is 1 and we'd definitely like a sibling for him but I'm just not feeling broody yet. My pregnancy was ok but I had terrible carpal tunnel amongst other things and the thought of doing that again with a 2-3 yr old is not enticing. Before having a baby I thought I wanted a 2 year gap but in reality I've no idea. I'm also 35 next birthday. Oh is keen to get on with it but I said I'd see how I felt this time next year.

I always hoped for a 2.5 age gap which is what's between me and my sister and we're super close. But our daughter is a gorgeous handful and we've also got married and are doing up a house and I had a few issues after Orla's birth. We're now hoping of an age gap of around 3 years as then we'll be entitled to some free childcare, which will help stretch out my maternity leave a bit more!

Like you, I can't wait to be preggers again, but am also worried about dealing with lack of sleep and hormones with an energetic toddler! But am hoping all teeth will be through by then and sleep will be sorted for her. And being able to keep her in nursery two days a week, at least I know I'll have that time dedicated to #2!

Most my friends who were pregnant at the same time as me last time are all expecting again - one has even had a baby. I guess there are pros and cons with any age gap and you just get through it with "this is just a phase" as a mantra! xxx

We wanted about 2.5 yr age gap so that we would all have some time together with baby #2 before our daughter goes off to preschool, but it just hasn't happened for us yet. Now I either have to conceive in time for a summer baby to coincide with school holidays, or leave it a while until our daughter has settled in at preschool. We just don't want her to feel pushed out by us having a new baby and then sending her off to preschool, so timing is key for us now (oh, if only it worked like that!).

PS hi Girly, I remember you from the ttc boards the first time around! X

First time back in a long time for me :) my little one is 27 mo and I'm having guilt that her and her sibling will be too far apart to be close growing up. I know they will likely be close as they get older. Anyway, it makes most sense for us to wait another year but I think we'll go for it sooner because of those feelings :S is that silly of me?

My DD is almost 13 months. I'm super broody and my OH has agreed to start TTC next cycle (im due to start my next cycle mid September). That would make the children 22 months apart. I think it will be hard but doable! I'm trying not to stress over the details because I know it will work out. :)

I originally wanted a 2.5 year difference but I'm so broody now!If we don't get pregnant next cycle then we are waiting until January because I don't want the baby to have a birthdayi n July since OHs is in July and DDs is in August.

My DD is 3 and we're waiting til after our wedding in April 2017. Will be at least a 5 year age gap.

My baby is 10 months old and I'm already ready to get pregnant again. I'm crazy! Haha. I feel like my hormones haven't even calmed down yet from baby 1. I think a two yr age gap would be hard, but ok. My little boy is super easy and sleeps through the night so I'm hoping it will work out? :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->