Letting go of your ideal birth? Deciding c-section or induction

Jennifaerie

Mummy to 1, baking #2
Reaction score
Until recently I had hoped that I would have a calm hypnobirth in hospital with a pool. It's now looking like that will not be the case as I have just been diagnosed with GD and baby is looking like she might be bigger than I can deal with as a result. The GD means they will want to monitor me throughout labour (there goes my active birth)

It's such a shame but I'm starting to get my head around the idea of baby arriving a week or two weeks early via either induction or c-section, I'm starting to get excited about meeting her earlier too.

They're worried about her shoulders getting stuck, and I shouldn't really be put in stirrups or have forceps/ ventuouse used on me as I have SPD. My sister had an awful induction that she reacted very badly too that resulted in her son having disabilities and then passing away aged 3.

I'm aware that inductions before you're due are less likely to work and I may end up with a section anyway.

Needless to say with the risks of GD, big baby etc. I'm terrified. I just want my baby here safe. The hospital seem happy to go with either giving induction 'a go' or giving me an elective section. (I ended up in tears about it in the MWs office yesterday)

So I suppose I want to know if anyone else has had to majorly change their plan for labour/ has anonee

If I decide to go for a section I should get a date for her arrival next week and then be get my head around it before it happens. I'm slightly concerned about if I have to have an emergency section and I get upset about it :shrug:

What would you do? I've been so excited about having my birth as natural as possible and now it's unlikely to be natural at all unless she decides to arrive between now and week 38 of her own accord. I just want her here safely!

I'd bear in mind that guesses about the babies size in a few weeks time are guesses and that US measurements can be up to 20% out also, women can and do birth bigger babies without problems all of the time, monitoring can be done regularly without the need for CFM.

You are within your rights to say no to anything that has been recommended if you want.

I'd take things slowly manage your GD well and see how baby progresses, get a second and third opinion on any estimate of babies size and see whats what nearer the time.

Obviously it's better to go as long as you can for babies sake and early labour is never a good thing but sometimes it has to happen.

If you want to try the induction - which may be a good one a try put some cut off's on it, agree with your care providers just how long you want to try for and what methods of induction and that way you get an early get out clause to go or the CS.

Most EMCS arent true crash CS and you have time to get to theatre calmly and without fuss.

Plan for an ideal induction, and induction ending in CS and a CS.

Look at 'gentle CS' on google...opting for the CS on the basis of guesses istn something I would choose to do but if you weigh up the risks and go for it then make it a good CS!

I'd bear in mind that guesses about the babies size in a few weeks time are guesses and that US measurements can be up to 20% out also, women can and do birth bigger babies without problems all of the time, monitoring can be done regularly without the need for CFM.

You are within your rights to say no to anything that has been recommended if you want.

I'd take things slowly manage your GD well and see how baby progresses, get a second and third opinion on any estimate of babies size and see whats what nearer the time.

Obviously it's better to go as long as you can for babies sake and early labour is never a good thing but sometimes it has to happen.

If you want to try the induction - which may be a good one a try put some cut off's on it, agree with your care providers just how long you want to try for and what methods of induction and that way you get an early get out clause to go or the CS.

Most EMCS arent true crash CS and you have time to get to theatre calmly and without fuss.

Look at 'gentle CS' on google...opting for the CS on the basis of guesses istn something I would choose to do but if you weigh up the risks and go for it then make it a good CS!

Part of the worry about her size is the fact that I noticed it first. My bump grew massively in the space of around 2 weeks so I asked them to measure me and I was measuring around 2 weeks ahead. They then sent me for a scan and she had gone from about 60th percentile to 95th in that time (also appears to be the time when I developed diabetes). I have another scan the week after next to see how big she is likely to be at 38 weeks, they've said accuracy is 10% +/-. Based on her current size, if I manage to control my diabetes by diet (looking positive that I will) she will likely be at least 10lb without any further accelerated growth.

I'm also worried about the higher risk of stillbirth in weeks 38 - 40 if you have GD, and the fact bubba likely wouldn't be as big as she is looking to be if I didn't have it and the probs with me having an assisted birth.

Sorry, it's just with what happened with my nephew I've been terrified about labour all the way through and had just managed to get my head around a hypno/ water birth.

I only say 20% as this is what was stated in my NHS green notes, I guess different stats.

Sit down and do some reading - look for birth stories of other GD mums and their inductions, CS and normal spontaneous deliveries.

Decide what is going to be best for you, are you willing to try and induction with certain provisos? Or would you prefer the certainty of a CS...albeit baby may turn out to be a perfectly average size yet born early or that the CS was needed as baby was indeed massive already?

Also findal height measurements are very unreliable...they can change on a minute by minute basis depending on how you and baby are positioned and the person doing the measuring...I was 1 to 2 weeks out in either direction a few times with DS2 no one batted an eyelid.

Opting for CS because you need to isn't failing or making the wrong choice it's your choice so make it and run with it...make the CS your if you choose it. You have a lot of rights in a CS you can choose how it is preformed.

this is why i decided against birth plan just aswell really.induction wasnt on my plan LOL
i cant have water birth either and need to be constantly monitored :(

this is why i decided against birth plan just aswell really.induction wasnt on my plan LOL
i cant have water birth either and need to be constantly monitored :(

:hugs: your bubba will b here so soon now! With what happened to my sister (which was nothing to do with her and everything to do with mw) I kind of had to have something in my head re how I wanted it to go so i could remain relaxed and confident. I'm not set on a section in any way - I don't want surgery lol! But at the same time I'm worried about pelvic damage with SPD and stirrups, gah at least I have week or two to decide.

On the plus side I think I lost some of my plug today whoop! Not much but a little bit. Ifshe fancies arriving by herself at 37 weeks that's.fine hehe

ud be suprised how much plug there is.i had huge glob at 36weeks and this continued in the last 24hrs iv had to wear a towel theres so much of it x

It replenishes for a while hence the continued grossness!

I feel a bit like a tap now, I've had very little/ no discharge most of the way through. Lost a glob of stuff this morning and now tons of milky stuff. Lovely lol

grim isnt it?

I didnt have a show with DS1 but DS2 I was walking back from town with my mum and had had a few cramps on and off and wowsers it was like someone with a huge nose had just let rip and blown it in there...it was really goopy and snotty!

Part of the worry about her size is the fact that I noticed it first. My bump grew massively in the space of around 2 weeks so I asked them to measure me and I was measuring around 2 weeks ahead. They then sent me for a scan and she had gone from about 60th percentile to 95th in that time (also appears to be the time when I developed diabetes). I have another scan the week after next to see how big she is likely to be at 38 weeks, they've said accuracy is 10% +/-. Based on her current size, if I manage to control my diabetes by diet (looking positive that I will) she will likely be at least 10lb without any further accelerated growth.

I'm also worried about the higher risk of stillbirth in weeks 38 - 40 if you have GD, and the fact bubba likely wouldn't be as big as she is looking to be if I didn't have it and the probs with me having an assisted birth.

Sorry, it's just with what happened with my nephew I've been terrified about labour all the way through and had just managed to get my head around a hypno/ water birth.

You're obviously mostly concerned with the health and wellbeing of your baby, god love you. You have to be happy with what is done but you also have to have peace of mind that you have done the best for your child. I'm not in your position but I would go with whatever the best is for the baby- I'm sure you'll come to your own conclusion on what that is and then you will know its the best thing for you too.

You're obviously mostly concerned with the health and wellbeing of your baby, god love you. You have to be happy with what is done but you also have to have peace of mind that you have done the best for your child. I'm not in your position but I would go with whatever the best is for the baby- I'm sure you'll come to your own conclusion on what that is and then you will know its the best thing for you too.

Thanks hun, it is tricky trying t figure out what's best for both of us. I'm also concerned about not being able to do skin to skin/ bc in the OR. Maybe I'm over thinking lol

I'm diabetic (all the time, not just GD). I was determined to have a natural birth last time, with as little intervention as possible, as little pain relief as possible and lots of moving around. I didn't realise that regardless of the size of the baby, being diabetic meant that I was going to be induced early anyway. My obs did a sweep at 37 weeks, then told me that she was going to induce me the following week if I didn't go myself in the meantime. That was all the notice I had! And it wasn't till I asked for more information at an antenatal class that I found out that I'd be monitored the whole time and would be on an insulin drip so wouldn't be able to move off the bed at all and would probably be better off to just get the epidural.

Despite the lack of communication and short notice, the birth was actually a really positive experience; DH and I both really enjoyed the day, there were no complications and no interventions and my recovery was a doddle. I had no pain afterwards and actually tld the midwives the next day that I'd happily go through that every day of my life! And best of all, DD was absolutely fine and unaffected by the induction.

So don't be too afraid of it; I understand you've got good reason to fear induction, but it's not that way for everyone - otherwise they wouldn't do it! Personally I'd choose another induction over a section any day.

Thanks for your reply- it really helps. What did you have in terms of pain relief? Did you need an assisted delivery? Sorry for all the questions, what was your DD's weight? Was she affected by your diabetes in terms of size?

A lot of what worries me is her size and that most babies in my family are 6 - 7lb, I'm only 5ft 3 so I suspect she's bigger than she would otherwise have been.

Sorry for all the questions again :haha: feel free to tell me to sod off :winkwink:

hi ladies - do they still use stirrups? I really really really don't want stirrups!! Can I say NO ??

For things like ventuose and forceps. I have SPD which means I avoid avoid stirrups if I can x

Hi jenniferaie. I understand what your going through. I really wanted a natural birth etc, but the dr said I may have to be induced or c section too. It would be the opposite reason to yours though, that baby is too small and under developed. I've just been trying to research on the other options and get my head around the fact that it might not be my original plan. But like you said whatever is best for baby. The NCT lady said you can definitely have skin to skin after a c section. And she suggested to ask the dr's to lower the screen and dim the lights as the baby arrives to make it special. I suppose things are more complicated now as your birth plan has to cover all three scenarios. I'm trying to keep an open mind and make sure my dh understands all my wishes so he can speak up for me. All the best!

Hi jenniferaie. I understand what your going through. I really wanted a natural birth etc, but the dr said I may have to be induced or c section too. It would be the opposite reason to yours though, that baby is too small and under developed. I've just been trying to research on the other options and get my head around the fact that it might not be my original plan. But like you said whatever is best for baby. The NCT lady said you can definitely have skin to skin after a c section. And she suggested to ask the dr's to lower the screen and dim the lights as the baby arrives to make it special. I suppose things are more complicated now as your birth plan has to cover all three scenarios. I'm trying to keep an open mind and make sure my dh understands all my wishes so he can speak up for me. All the best!

same for you, let me know how you get on! If it helps I'm feeling far better about induction today, I took to Twitter and asked for tweets from those who've had a positive induction and I got about 40 replies in half an hour. Lots of really good induction stories that've made me feel loads better. Hope your LO arrives safely and you manage to have a birth that's as close as possible to what you had hoped for. I guess getting our LOs out safely is all the matters, I'll let future Jennie deal with the rest :winkwink:

I was induced with my dd, at term plus 10. Her birth was fine, tho needed the ventouse due to her being in an awkward position. Hopefully they can tell you more about your babys position at your next scan, thats important too.

Its a very difficult decision, chat to your mw, doc, oh etc and try and agree something you are all content with.

I had an epidural, which they actually inserted before putting in the oxytocin drip! I knew induction was harder than normal birth, and that I wouldn't be able to move around, so figured I may as well!

I didn't need any assistance, the epidural was turned off 2 hours before I started pushing so I was well able to feel what was going on and where and when to push.

DD was 8lb 2oz, and very long, so actually a bit on the skinny side. She wasn't affected by the diabetes at all - she was actually pretty small for my family, I don't think any other baby that I know of has been under 9lbs - my dad was over 14lbs!

Don't worry about the questions, we all have them at some stage : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->