• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Letting go of your ideal birth? Deciding c-section or induction

I lost my first baby at 40weeks - he was stillborn becuase I had a medical condition that they didnt pick up during my pregnancy. I went through a full back to back labour with my first baby (11hours) and was utterly exhausted after and had grade 2 tearing, he was only 6lbs 2ozs. I was determined last time to have a natural birth in the pool using my hypnobirthing. However I now realise that you shouldnt be too fixated on birth plans as you have no control over it really.

This pregnancy I still wanted it to be as natural as possible however they wanted to induce me early due to my condition. This pregnancy everything has went fine with no medical issues but I am just desperate to get him out safely. So I wanted to go for the induction to try and have a vaginal delivery again. However my baby is now 37 weeks and still in breech, they wont induce me with breech baby and dont recommend a breech delivery so I have booked in for a c-section. I was really scared beforehand and it was the last thing I wanted but how I have booked in I feel really relaxed in the knowledge that this is the safest thing for my baby.

If I were you I would just book in for the csection, there are so many variables for inductions/natural deliveries. I am looking forward to being in/out in 40 mins, not being exhausted after hours and hours of painful labour, having a healthy baby not put through the trauma of having to be delivered.

If you had asked me last week I would have said to go for induction but this week after booking in, i feel that its the right thing to do - also my babies estimated weight curently is 8lbs so he might be around 9lbs by the time he arrives, dont fancy pushing him out at that weight knowing what 6lbs felt like lol

Best of luck what ever you decide, I suppose you just have to do what feels right for you and what you are most comfortable with, at the end of the day - you and your babies health are the most important factors!

Good luck xxx

Hi :)

I had always hoped for a natural water birth, sadly it wasn't to be. I was induced at 38 weeks due to severe SPD and after a 5 day failed induction had a c section.

How bad is your SPD? For example, could you open your legs to be examined or for them to break your waters? The reason my induction failed was because I couldn't do this, I could open my legs 5 inches from knee to knee and so they couldn't get the pessaries in properly, and the consultant said there was no way he would of been able to break my waters as I physically couldn't open my legs wide enough for him to do so, and my usual consultant was questionned as to why I wasn't sent straight for a section as there was no way I could physically give birth. I guess what I'm trying to say is even before the stirrups etc could you open your legs for them to insert pessaries/examine you? If not, I would go for the section. If I could have done that I think I still would have preferred to try the induction but then my baby wasn't big.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision and for your birth xx

When I was pregnant I wanted a pain free waterbirth in my local birthing centre. At 14 weeks my waters ruptured, 24 weeks they rehealed but I continued to suffer with Oligohydramnios. My birth plans were out the window.

From 36 weeks onwards they wanted to induce me but I kept telling them no and ended up delivering at 40+3 on my back with one shot of pethidine and G&A. Not what I wanted originally but all in all it was a good birth experience.

I'm not really sure what I would do in your position. With the risk of the shoulders getting stuck and the GD I would say opt for the section but then you have to think of the recovery time... but if you go for induction like you say you could be there for days with no progression and ending up with a section anyway.

I hope you come to a decision that you're comfortable with and that baby arrives safely x

i too was a GD with a baby that was measuring 3 weeks ahead of where she should have been. at 32 weeks i was told that she was already 6 and a half pounds. I freaked out. Told everyone i was going to give birth to a toddler- dont buy anything little because she is going to be HUGE. Fast forward to 3 weeks later my waters break at 35 weeks and i had to be induced 4 days later because of risk of infection. I chose to have a clip on the babys head so it was a very active labour, the idea of being restricted to that bed was giving me the heeby geebees. The induction went well- it was painful I'm not going to lie and i managed to get myself way off my face on gas and air - and i ended up having an epidural but I don't regret it. My daughter was born at a massive 5 pound 2 ounces. Meaning i had nothing for her to wear. My toddler turned into a titch. Those ultrasound estimates are not worth the paper they are printed on IMO. I still think you can get the birth you want- the way you get there just may need a tweak.

I'm really not sure hun, though if there is a high risk of shoulder dystocia, and complications through a vaginal birth i'd be tempted to go with a c-section, if that means its the safest method of course, it must be a hard decision to make :hugs:

With my little boy i had planned a home birth from day 1, i was adamant i wasn't going in hospital :rofl: but when i got diagnosed with GD at 34 weeks that went out the window! I was induced at 39+1 and gave birth at 39+3, relatively straight forward birth.

This time i'm not even doing a birth plan as i will be induced between 38-39 weeks as i have GD again unless he/she comes before. xxx

My son had shoulder dystocia and he was only 8lb 11oz. It is a terrible thing to go through and very distressing.
My ob was set on a section this time because of it and I dont have GD however it is a high reaccurance rate. Growth scans are showing him on the 50 percentile now though so she is doing a 39 week growth scan to decide induction or section.
I will say though that my first son was 9lb 7oz and I had an epi and he didnt have shoulder dystocia so its not always a said that bigger babies will get stuck. Even with big babies shoulder dystocia is still rare.
It is a very hard decision but I think maybe discuss with your consultants which they think is the best option for you, also I too think the severity of your SPD should be a serious deciding factor.

I'm going to wait and see what they say after my growth scan. ATM I'm still able to open my legs wide enough I think, I just wouldn't want to be stuck that way for ages. For the minute I figure they want to induce so she doesn't get too big to fit so I am still hoping to have her as naturally as possible.

Need to get her to engage first though, they're giving her two weeks to get in position then want to get started,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"