Life after Depo Provera

SCgirl

Carrying #3
Reaction score
Hi Ladies-

I know there's been a few threads about issues after the depo shot in the past, but I was just hoping for some more recent input / updates. More specifically, rather than the "could take" time discussions, I'm more interested in the "did take".
How long did it take your periods to come back?
How long did it take you to ovulate again?
How long did it take you to get pregnant (and did it go to term)?
(Or how long have you been waiting / trying?)
Is there anything that you think helped you get the depo out of your system?

As for my experience, my last shot was in October '12, and periods seemed to go straight to normal (although a bit light), until I bled for around 6-7 weeks straight. Bleeding suddenly stopped on the first of May this year (Thank goodness! I don't know if it's related but I had been drinking "female toner" herbal tea (raspberry leaf, nettles, etc.) for about a week before the bleeding finally stopped), and am still just waiting to see what will happen! (Finally started charting, and bought some opk tests.) My doc told me that the stress from my job (made more stressful by swing shifts) will make it even more difficult to get back to regular- woohoo. ](*,)

Cant help too much as i wasnt TTC'ing when i came off depo but it took me over 18 months for my periods to come back, i was on depo for 9 months, but i think it was because i was depressed gained a LOT of weight and this didnt help :) i wasnt TTC'ing at the time so dont know if i was ovulating or anything, good luck x

I was on the depo provera shot for almost eight years, far longer than is recommended and I couldn't agree more. It resulted in me becoming over 100 lbs overweight and I had no sex drive and terrible depression. But when I came off of it my periods returned after three months after the shot was out of my system (so six months after last shot) and while I wasn't ttc during that time by the time I'd begun charting about a year later I'd already established a cycle. I attribute my fast comeback to losing all the extra weight and divorcing the guy who'd made me go on the shot in the first place.

Afraid I can't answer the last part because I'll soon to be ttc #1. I hope it doesn't take very long.

well im currently ttc #2. I first got on the shot after my first child in2007. My last shot was Aug.2012.At that time i wasnt ttc.I jus got real sick in Oct. and gave it up. My period came back april 17,2013 i was shocked. 2-3 leading up to that i had gas and cramps and bm. bleeding last 4 days and spotting 2 days after i did not chart .I tried the OPK but that got confsuing.A of today I am on day 3 of my 2 cycle 26 days cycle. I got to my new OB/GYN 6/11.Which is 3 days before my schedule hopefully miss period. im praying. I do have preseed plan on using them on my ferile days. was going to BBT chart but do not have the right therometer. Seeking a cycle buddie. and im also in need of success stories. good luck and baby dust. Oh im not on any hormaones clomid etc. I do have prenatal pills i will start taking on my fertile days. I did not do a detox but i heard first cleanse is a great detox:happydance:

I was on depo for about 5 years before I got married, had the usual horrendous side effects - weight gain, bad skin and finally my hair started to get really thin! I only stayed on it as I was petrified of getting pregnant as I had done on the pill.

Anyway it took 6 months of no depo and one cycle on the pill to get any periods back, I then had cycles ranging from 4 to 45 days I think, went to the drs and had blood test ( all ok except low iron level) was given progesterone treatment to regulate my cycle and iron for anaemia, I got pregnant around 12 months after stopping to depo but miscarried and had a few chemical pregnancies then finally got pregnant with my son 18 months after stopping depo. I am ttc#2 and had my mirena coil removed in April which has been much better so far.

I had acupressure, acupuncture and drank raspberry leaf and nettle teas, took vitamin b6, iron and macca supplements, gave up caffeine and lost 2 stone to get pregnant! Just shows how damaging the depo can be!

I think the best thing my dr told me was to give myself 3 months off TTC and have a plan for that time for detox, de-stressing as much as possible and rebalancing my hormones as naturally as possible. I found accupuncture, b6 and nettle tea made the biggest differences to my cycle.

Also have way more sex than you think you need to, the most effective way to increase your chance (if there's no clear underlying medical issue) is an over-supply of sperm just hanging around waiting for those eggs! The months I got pregnant we were dtd a lot around ovulation!

I went on Depo back when I was 19, and i'm 29, and my periods have never been the same, after a year and half on it, I went off. My periods never came back I think in the time that I was off BC and before I went back on (to regulate it) I went like a 3 and half years without a period. and since then I have not been the same as far as periods go. But everyone is different.

I'm 29 and I was on depo for 10... YES 10 years and took my last shot April 2011... I never had a period on depo and the day my shot was due I started my period like nothing had ever happened. Cycles picked right back up where they left off 10 years prior. Yes depo is different for everyone! I never gained weigh and I'm a normal weight, and I never had depression. Hence the reason I wanted to stay on it 10 years... 10 years of no peirod, cramping or PMS!! Amazing right? Well now I have been TTC for a year now and have not had any luck... I was told with my long-term use it could take me up to 24 months before the hormone is out of my system and I have read online up to 36 months. But I will tell you it was only 3 cycles ago that I stated feeling, and for the first time was able to feel my OV... a slight cramp that has now jumped from the right to left side alternating each month. My understanding of this is that my body is indeed actually come back to form and showing more and more signs each cycle that it is getting closer to conceiving. I think what helped push this along is prenadel vitamins, green tea daily, a healthy diet and tons of water.
I'm right there with ya sista!!! Hope this helps answer some of your questions and eases the mind... You are not alone!

I was on the depo shots for 9 months and it nearly killed me. I wouldn't advise anyone taking them. I had them due to endometriosis and I had to stop because my body couldn't take being sick and vomiting all the time. It took about 3.5 months to start bleeding again and by 7 months was back to a regular 28-30 day cycle. I am on my first month of using my CB OM and am 9 DPO now. My symptoms are off the charts all over the place but have had new ones show up today so am testing every day until AF comes lol

i have been on and of the depo for the last 9 years , i came of it a year ago to get zoladax injections due to endometriosis , i had them for 6 months , then went back on depo . but iv been of it again now for a month . when i was very first on depo i came of it to try concieve my youngest son who is almost 6 . it took 16 months or so to actually get pregnant . i hope it dont take that long this time .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->