life happens and then...

MoldyVoldy

Khaleesi
Reaction score
i'm in the USA. right now the government shut down is really making me think, "why on earth would i WANT to WILLINGLY bring another child into this world?"

every so often i get these feelings and although i'm broody as hell, the state of the world is sometimes enough to make me want to rethink things.

it's really depressing. :nope:

I often feel this way. Why do I want to have a child that's going to have to deal with the effects of global warming, higher cost of living, limited housing, war etc etc? And then their children and their children and so on and I believe the world will just keep getting worse. :( Can't help myself though.

The way I see it, if more people raise their children to care about the world things might actually improve. Things are certainly continuing to get worse in many ways but I also see some glimmers of hope (more people caring about the food we eat, being healthy, our environment, going green, etc.) and hope that we'll get to a point where people will say they've had enough and will start really changing things. We can contribute to that change, and so can our children and their children. If people who care don't have children that they raise to care as well, we will certainly be doomed.

Given all the other times in human history your baby could be born, (Dark Ages, before modern medicine, before women's rights etc) this one's not so bad. Big hugs. Some bad things will happen in their lives, and lots of good things will happen.

:hugs: thank you all so much

i feel better today. i was just seeing all of these articles online and was hearing about it on the radio and was seeing it on tv...and it doesn't help that my mom is extremely religious and keeps saying that the end is near etc. which is disturbing.

but you all are right. good stuff will happen. and so will bad. it's how i raise my children that counts in the end. and i DO believe this - i guess sometimes i need to hear it from others to make sure i'm not alone in this. lol

I am on board with what MellyH said! There is lots of room for improvement, but never forget the things that are good and amazing about this world as well. If we constantly focus on the bad things in life, that doesn't leave much room for change. All we can do is teach our kids to be part of the solution, and do what we can in our own lives to make things better and move forward :flower:

I can't lie, I live in a VERY politically charged area of the country, where people will loudly and often express their views and try to convert you, and it scares the living daylights out of me to raise a child here sometimes. I grew up in an area of this country where it was considered rude to ask others what their beliefs and political stance is, and this is what I will be teaching my children. Fighting with each other never solves anything, especially when all that we ALL really want is what is best for our children's future.

ETA: I just noticed you're from the same area :) I don't know if its just the city that I live in, but I am still shocked every time someone asks me who I voted for! The beach and palm trees makes it all worth it :)

I am on board with what MellyH said! There is lots of room for improvement, but never forget the things that are good and amazing about this world as well. If we constantly focus on the bad things in life, that doesn't leave much room for change. All we can do is teach our kids to be part of the solution, and do what we can in our own lives to make things better and move forward :flower:

I can't lie, I live in a VERY politically charged area of the country, where people will loudly and often express their views and try to convert you, and it scares the living daylights out of me to raise a child here sometimes. I grew up in an area of this country where it was considered rude to ask others what their beliefs and political stance is, and this is what I will be teaching my children. Fighting with each other never solves anything, especially when all that we ALL really want is what is best for our children's future.

ETA: I just noticed you're from the same area :) I don't know if its just the city that I live in, but I am still shocked every time someone asks me who I voted for! The beach and palm trees makes it all worth it :)
i HATE it when people loudly express their opinions...and then they LOUDLY ask me who i voted for etc. and to be honest, i can't wait until we move from this area! LOL :hugs: it's nice at first but honestly i just need to leave. for most of the people that i've come across in this area, money is a big thing for them. and it's just not like that for my family. if i'm wealthy one day, i can't see myself flaunting it for the world to see. i don't know. i used to be a loud woman. but..since having my own family i'm the quietest lady you'll ever meet. (in public. LOL). :thumbup:

I'm glad it's not just me! My husband grew up here, and since my family is still up north I would like to be near one of our families, but I am with you here! I don't want my kids growing up thinking it is okay to act that way.

I literally was just thinking about this in the shower last night.

OH & I are both in the military. They have been treating us like DIRT. I'm trying to convince OH that we should move to a different country when we get out.

I literally was just thinking about this in the shower last night.

OH & I are both in the military. They have been treating us like DIRT. I'm trying to convince OH that we should move to a different country when we get out.
treating you badly? how so?? that's awful. what country are you interested in? i'd love to live in a different country sometimes! the UK or canada would be my first choices.

Well last year, the first cut they made during the shutdown was to stop our paychecks. So that was fun.. Only lasted a few days thank goodness. But during this years shutdown they took our education, death benefits, and VA benefits.

I was thinking New Zealand :)

Well last year, the first cut they made during the shutdown was to stop our paychecks. So that was fun.. Only lasted a few days thank goodness. But during this years shutdown they took our education, death benefits, and VA benefits.

I was thinking New Zealand :)
wow, i had no idea. i'm so sorry.

new zealand is gorgeous...i've ALWAYS wanted to visit.

or australia...i had a friend move there for a summer and she ended up staying WAAAYYY longer! she loved it there!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->