Likely to have a premie - any advice please

nov_mum

Reaction score
Hi there

I have a history of preeclampsia but it didn't come on to 33 weeks in the past and I had my boys after induction at 35 and 38 weeks. This time my BP is up at 22 weeks and given my history it is likely I will have PE and I won't make it to full term. It is quite likely I will have the baby sooner rather than later. I am really worried about it given my current gestation and I worry we won't make 30 weeks. Does anyone have any advice or positive stories to share for early premmies??

My little girl was born at 23 weeks and 6 days. :) She's perfect. It was a long hard journey in the neonatal unit, but we got her home after almost 20weeks. I was lucky that the hospital I had her in are very positive about babies born before 24 weeks. She's now nearly 8 months old, and thriving. :) Any other questions, just ask. :) xx

That is such a relief to hear!! Can I ask how you coped with the NICU stay? Any tips on managing?

You just some how manage. I have 3 other children, so I had to be strong and get on with things for them. It was all very hard. I made 2-3 trips to the hospital every day, as I had to split my time. My husband only worked half days the whole time Anya was in hospital, but still got paid a full time wage, but I honestly could not have got through any of it without him. There were many tears and moments when I couldn't cope, and when I needed to cry, I cried. So don't bottle any feelings up. Your emotions will be all over the place. But I stayed positive the entire time. I never doubted for a moment that I wouldn't take my baby home. The NICU staff are AMAZING. Just make sure you rest and still have some time to yourself. xx :)

Have the docs said when you are likely to have your baby? xx

I also had pre eclamsia i had my son @ 25 weeks we spent 15 weeks in the hospital, where home now and doing great. Its definetly not easy dealing with the NICU i can t give you any tips because its something you just manage and try to get over once your out. i hope your lo keeps baking for a while longer and the pre e is kept under control

I had twin girls at 25+2. Sadly one of my daughters lungs were not developed enough and she passed away after one day.

My other daughter spent 100 days in neonatal and had a grade IV IVH in utero. She is 17 months actual / 13 1/2 months corrected and so far is doing great and is currently on par or ahead in her development milestones. Her only issue is she is slow at gaining weight. I won't say she isn't going to have any problems because the reality is with micro preemies you aren't going to know fully until they go to school but so far all the signs are good.

The neonatal journey is a difficult one with many steps backwards as well as forward but you cope because the reality is you have to. (sorry sounds a bit depressing but not sure how else to word it)

Once you hit viability ask the doctors about the steroids as they help the babies lungs. I hope your lo keeps cooking for many more weeks.

The neonatal journey is a difficult one with many steps backwards as well as forward but you cope because the reality is you have to. (sorry sounds a bit depressing but not sure how else to word it)

That`s pretty much it! Having a preemie makes us discover great strength we didn`t know we had. As EmSmith1980 said so well your emotions will be all over the place. You do everything that needs to be done because you have to. But every day is a little bit better than the previous one, and before you know it you hear the word `release` and they`re home with you :happydance:

Can you ask to visit the neonatal ward ? Many people find it helps. Another thing that really helped me is to have ONE person who relays news to everyone - friends, family, work. My mom took care of all that. It took every tiny little amount of energy I had just to tell her news every day. Then she would contact everyone else, or they would call her. I personally found it VERY difficult to relate daily ups and downs to people so having my mom do so was a huuuge help.

I had high BP to and severe pre-e so my little one`s growth in utero essentially stopped. He was delivered at 27 weeks, spent 105 days in nicu and is now doing great :)

My LO was a later premmie so no advice but just wanted to wish you all the best. I hope you LO stays put as long as possible. x

Thank you so much for your advice ladies!!! It is so reassuring to know there are many positive stories and that there is a supportive bunch of ladies out there. I think you are right, I will have to cope with things as they come up. The drs have given me no indication, I think they are not wanting to cross that bridge yet as there are so many variables. I am reassured that they are seeing me on Maternity rather than gynae which is the protocol before 24 weeks. I am being seen again today at the hospital and will ask some more questions.

I liek the idea of having a messenger too. I think I will definitely use that tip. Thank you, will keep you posted.

I'm also at risk to deliver early. My LOis under the 4th percent in size and blood flow isn't good through the cord. I'm 28+4 today, and hearing your stories gives me a lot of hope. Thank you!

Hugs.

My little one was born at 30w+3 due to pre-eclampsia and IUGR. She came out screaming but was ventilated soon after. We spent almost two weeks in NICU before moving to SCBU. I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia on the Tuesday and told on the Thursday morning I needed to deliver within 24 hours.

I basically was in shock for th first few days and cried a lot. The one peice of advice that really helped was to take things day by day or hour by hour if need be. Concentrate on the little improvements and before you know it, you will have a whole pile of little improvements that demonstrate how strong your little one is.

As the others have said, you will get through this, you don't have a choice. Speak to the other mums in the unit, idle chat about what you and your prem baby are going through can help enormously as it's hard for other people to relate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->