List of reasons for a negative beta but positive hpt

DobbyForever

Done with One
Reaction score
Hi all. This is the second (I can't remember if it is consecutive or not) cycle where I have had one or two positive hpts on different brands, but my beta came back at 0. I am trying to understand what is going on with my body. So I am just wondering what are some reasons why a hpt would show positive and not a beta? Feel free to weigh in on the plausibility/ likelihood of my/each other's suggestions and add to the list.

/~/ Culprits on the List \~\
Will be updated as ideas are added

~ Bad tests/ false positive hpts
~ Chemical pregnancy? (In a cp, would the hcg leave the blood first then the urine causing the blood to go to 0 before the urine?)
~ They messed up the blood test (never happened to me but a girl can wish hahaha)
~ cysts
~ blood or protein in urine
~ certain cancers

For reference (in case you haven't popped into my other threads haha) these were today's tests. The only ones I tweaked were the dollar tree (heavy duty filters) and 10dpo cvs (just upped the clarity and sharpness so it looks darker than today's but today's blue line was def. darker). All taken in < 3m. Sorry for the quality, these are uploads of downloads of pictures I previously uploaded to BnB. Thanks for the input! My gyn will email back tomorrow hopefully.

Attachments

• cvs11dpo.jpg
    cvs11dpo.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 28
  • frer11dpo.jpg
    frer11dpo.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 35
  • dollartree11dpo.jpg
    dollartree11dpo.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 26
  • cvs10dpo.jpg
    cvs10dpo.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 23
hcg blood tests are more accurate than hpt's.. so in saying this, the hpt's that showed faint lines for you, could have just been faulty tests.. & your frer looks negative to me, and the other tests are a little to faint to be considered as faint bfp's.. blue line tests can show a faint blue second line when indeed not pregnant/ just how the test is. i do also know that hpt's can show faint lines when there may be a cyst ( Corpus luteum cysts on the ovaries can cause false positives on pregnancy tests ) i wouldn't wory about it too much lovely! have you had your AF yet/ how many DPO r u? xoxo

Thanks. I am in theory 11dpo but my surge was weird and I don't feel like my temps support O. So I was shocked to see lines on tests yesterday/today because I thought anovulatory. I do have a history of cysts, but I have my ovaries/uterus scanned fairly frequently and there hasn't been any sign of active or ruptured cysts.

Something happened to my body after my last loss and I feel like I am crazy because my doctors think it is on my head

i have worried about this type of situation before too.. when i would get faint lines on hpt, but then had hcg blood test that was negative, the best advice i can give to u... is too accept that your most likely not pregnant at the moment & try again when u know u r ovulating.. i know its not easy to accept for you.. but thinking of reasons why a hpt would show lines then negative hcg blood test, is only going to make u more stressed out!! how long have u been TTC? do u have kids yet?? xo

Hugs dobby hope the blood work is wrong. In my experience with cp the line didnt get darker it was gone the next day. I would have thought bloods would have shown something too. From what i know blood work shows a loss longer than a hpt. When did you last test? It would be such a coincidence if its false positives from several different brands. Really hope this is it dobby. Let us know

Just read this maybe your doc could test for protein.

Receiving a positive result on a home pregnancy test simply means that there is a presence of hCG in your body and is typically a sign that you have become pregnant. However, that result could be a false positive; meaning that even though it is positive, you are actually not pregnant. False positives, according to WebMD, can occur if you have blood or protein present in your urine. There are also certain types of drugs, like tranquilizers, anti-convulsants, and hypnotics, which can cause false-positive test results on a home pregnancy test.

It can also be a sign if certain types of cancer, although I guess your betas might be positive too.

Thanks for the input ladies! And the honest real talk :)

Lazy reply because it is 5:40am lol. To clarify, I am trying to think of non-pregnancy reasons this may be happening so I can approach the topic with my gyn or primary care doctor. They have been brushing me off with "it takes time for your body to readjust". It's been 6 months. It only took me one cycle to readjust after my other complicated pregnancies. I know I'm older now and stressed, but I know my body. Something is not right.

I see the lines on the blue tests but ive seen a lot of Evaps on those tests on this forum, in future I woud stick to frer to be on the safe side.
How would you feel about not testing until Af is late in the future to try and dispel all this confusion? Fwiw, Id have took those blue tests for positive too. Sorry nobody is giving you any definite reason why it's happening x

Thank you! I took the third test in that box on Monday and it didn't have a line, but it wouldn't be the first time I got an in time colored evap on a test lol

I would love to say I would drop testing early buuuuuut I know me. I won't. I have high anxiety so I test early and multiple times a day haha. It actually eases my anxiety even if it sucks seeing the bfns all the time.

If I am 12dpo, I should have had a temp drop and spotting in 4 hours. But! I have had cycles where my 12dpo temp stayed high and came down 13dpo

Just to update I saw my primary care in internal medicine. She said she has never heard of a hpt showing positive and a blood being negative. She said they are accurate and in most cases more accurate than the lab tests, but from an internal medical viewpoint she couldn't explain it. So still waiting to hear from my gyn. This is the second cycle this has happened (extended lh surge, hpt positive but blood negative) and overall bizarreness so hopefully my gyn will figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->