LO forgetting how to latch and suck... help!

gracegrace

happily pregnant with 2nd
Reaction score
I've already spoken to a BF counsellor about this, but thought I'd ask here too as you all gave such good advice on my previous thread...

Basically, Gracelet is gaining weight incredibly slowly (almost 6wks, still not back to birth weight, 0.4th centile)... and whilst OH was exactly the same and I've always been small, it's Christmas and I'm a bit worried so have started supplementing with formula and EBM.

I started giving her bottles, and the three days since, she seems to have forgotteon how to latch and suck... something she previously did very well. I'm going to stop the bottles and feed her with a spoon instead.

But does anyone have any ideas or experience of how to help a LO to re-learn latching on and sucking??

apparently if u run a warnish bath up to yr boobs then latch baby and allow to feed in bath, it reminds them of the womb environment and re teaches them how to feed! x

apparently if u run a warnish bath up to yr boobs then latch baby and allow to feed in bath, it reminds them of the womb environment and re teaches them how to feed! x

Not heard that! Will definately try... we both enjoy baths together...

I've read lots of skin to skin will help - spend some time together lying in bed. And don't try and latch her when she is really hungry and crying, wait until she is calmer. Take the edge off the hunger with the bottle if you need to.

If that fails maybe try a nipple shield (I used Medelas with no probs) to get her latched on initially and then gently remove it once she has started feeding.

:thumbup:

I was just going to make a thread about this! I've noticed that the next few boob feeds that Ethan has after he has had a bottle of EBM he makes clicking noises when he's sucking..which means he isn't latched on right?? Like he's forgotten how to boob feed :shrug: I only let OH feed him from the bottle in situations where I don't feel comfortable breastfeeding,or it isn't possible so it's not as if he has bottles regular!

Adi had no problem switiching back and forth b/w bottle and boob, but lately he's been spending A LOT more time with a pacifier (soother) and he keeps slipping off the breast when he's eating. It makes him very frustrated and gassy. I'm getting worried, too. He does the clicking thing, also. He's getting to be a lazy latcher.

What is the 'clicking thing' - is it the tongue? Anyone know what causes it?

I'm also switching between bottle and boob and I've also noticed LO not so good at opening mouth wide recently. I have to get hold of my boob and hold it throughout BFing. I also have to hold her very tight on me to keep her on. This might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->