LO rejecting bottle

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Savannah11, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Savannah11

Savannah11 Love my boys xxx

Hi girls
    When my LO gets fed just lately he will take the first bit from his bottle but then when u take it out to wind him and try to give it to him again he just screams and crys and won't take it.
    He will suck on my finger but won't take the bottle until I really calm him down and try again but it really takes a while. I did change the teats to a level 2 yesterday but have changed it bak to normal and he's still rejecting it...
    He's always been on these bottles (dr.browns) so I don't know what's wrong... Anybody have any insight?
    X

2. PrayinForBaby

PrayinForBaby Haley's Mommy =)

teething pain maybe? i know he's a little young, but my LO got her first two teeth in at 4 months and ALWAYS goes through that with the bottle when she's teething.

3. Savannah11

Savannah11 Love my boys xxx

Bump please!

4. julietz

julietz Well-Known Member

Hi, could also be abit of a growth spurt, my lo went through it at 3mths lasted a few days, i was very confused at first thinking whats wrong with her, but there is lots of information about it online so you can read the symptoms and decide if your lo is going through one, if they drank and drank they would end uphuge, so their body stops taking so much to grow from what it has stored, if it was early teething there are also lots of signs to let you know, dribbling, red cheeks etc, you could also try a variflow teat so he can take it at his own pace, have you also tried him with just water boiled and cooled, try not to stop to wind him and see if he carries on drinking, if we stop our lo thats it she wont have anymore, so we let her take over 3 or 4 oz before winding. GL

5. julietz

julietz Well-Known Member

He also may be more independant, our lo loves her rocker and sometimes prefers to take her bottle in that sitting up rather than on my knee, she is 7 months though, but it works she takes it if not from my knee.

6. whoops

whoops Just me and my LO

My LO does this with some of her bottles - usually the first one of the day and maybe the afternoon one.

I switched teat size and she does take a little more now before starting to fuss. I got myself quite worked up about it for a while, but now, I just don't fight her. I put the bottle aside for half an hour and distract her with a nappy change etc, and she usually takes a bit more then.

I find she usually takes a bit more at the next feed if she's only taken a smaller amount at the previous one.

7. sparkle05

sparkle05 Well-Known Member

Hi savannah :hugs::hugs:

I have been through hell with Isla and her feeding. Isla takes a few gulps and then comes off the teat and screams the house down. I am having to keep a feeding diary for her now and take her back to clinic tomorrow. These are the things i have tried -

- Had her checked over by the doctor for ear infection, thrush in the mouth e.c.t
    - feeding in her chair instead of on me
    - Teething gel
    - Different bottles/teats
    - Different milk

Nothing has worked for me :growlmad: Some days she only takes 10oz other days she may take 21 :shrug:

She is on infant gaviscon for silent reflux and has been since she was very small, she used to feed every 3 hrs and now she can go 6 hrs between feeds. I have been driven round the bend with worry especially as the doctors and health visitors have been no help :growlmad:

I am now taking the laid back approach and feeding when she wants it and trying not to worry if she doesn't.

I tried her on a number 3 teat this morning and she drank a whole bottle. I had to keep popping the bottle in and out her mouth to let her adjust to the flow and i sat her in her chair so she wasn't to laid back. I think I'm going to stick with it and see what happens for the rest of the day.

Sorry I'm no help but i just wanted to let you know your not alone. If I find anything else that works i will let you know :hugs::hugs: