local eggs

spicyorange

Reaction score
I always buy eggs from a local farmer but since I got pregnant I've been sticking to shop bought lion stamped ones as I dint know if the farmer vaccinates his hens against salmonella. A friend at work keeps 4 chickens and today she gave me some fresh eggs laid this week. Do you think I'm ok to eat them? And am I being silly about the farm? Are they a higher risk than shop bought? Iv been eating then cooked but some have been soft boiled, is that terrible to?

We have our own chickens and I eat the eggs soft boiled sometimes. Salmonella is mostly caused from unclean living conditions for the chickens. The shop eggs often are from large chicken farms where they live in cages above each other and end up eating feces and urine causing salmonella. Those places HAVE to vaccinate for salmonella because there's so much exposure.

I ate local eggs throughout my last pregnancy. It isn't something I had thought of yet with this one (barely 6 weeks now). I think as long as you wash them off before using you are fine. I ate runny eggs sometimes during my last pregnancy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->