[LONG] EmzLouise - My Birth Story! Hard with a happy & surprising ending :)

EmzLouise

Reaction score
Aaah, finally had the time to write this :) can I just say to all the ladies on here with high BMIs, you can do it! don't let your doctors and midwifes bullshit you, I have a BMI of 45 and although I couldn't manage the pain (nothing to do with my weight!) the pushing part I could. on my back, might I add! Have confidence in your body and your ability! :flower:

So my story begins on Wednesday night around 11pm on the 9th May, when my braxton hicks started to become much stronger. They were still completely all over the place so I wasn't too worried, me & OH decided to organise the bags and get an early night just in case.

Around 4am I woke up to use the loo, and came back to bed with really bad pains. OH woke up and started keeping track of the BH, they were coming every 7 minutes and lasted less than a minute. Did this for 30 mins and they become irregular, so I thought it'd be a good idea to go back to sleep and wait. But OH got a bit 'too excited' shall I say :rofl: (I was laying on my back on him... men have one track minds I swear) and seeing as the contractions became between 10 to 15 minute gaps, we decided to DTD once more and see if anything happened.

Probably the first mistake we made! :haha:

At about 6am the pains became every 5 minutes and lasted a minute, but the pain at this point was almost unbearable. I couldn't speak through them so mum called the hospital and they told me to clean up, come in and bring my bag! :happydance: at this point I was so excited the pain seemed worth it. We arrived at the hospital at around 8am and waited for a bed, all the while the pains getting stronger. I tried not to think about it, and bounced on the birthing ball they had available. Once I had a bad I was monitored for about an hour, and although my pains were so strong, on the monitor is showed hardly any contractions, around 10 minutes apart :( had an internal and showed that I was only 1cm dilated and bubzy was in a posterior position :cry: I was completely devastated as I was in so much pain, I couldn't understand why nothing was happening. Due to my pain and bubzys position they said I could stay in if I wanted, but I wasn't allowed any proper pain relief until I reached 4cm. I decided to go home and wait it out there, so the lovely midwife gave me some painkillers and we went on our way. Got some McDonalds on the way home (it was lovely!) and I went to bed. The contractions were still about 8 minutes apart and lasting a minute.

By 4pm the pain was excruciating. My back felt like it was breaking through every single contraction. I tried different positions and the TENS machine but nothing worked. By 8pm I was so exhausted through the pain not coping that we decided to go back to the hospital and see if I had made any progress. Got to the hospital around 8.30pm, was monitored again which made my contractions worse as I had to lie on my back :cry: had another internal and was told I was only 1 1/2cm :cry: I was in so much pain I just wanted to cry. The midwife gave me a sweep and she managed to start me losing my plug! So I was happy about that. We went home again and I tried to get some sleep.

I continued to lose alot of plug (I was convinced I was giving birth to a giant plug, seriously) all night, and the contractions became around 5 minutes apart and lasting over a minute. The pain started to make me ill, I was being sick, and drifting in and out of consciousness. My mum and OH called the labour ward, explained what was happening and they told me to come in. At around 5.30am I got to the hospital, and I was determined not to leave again. They checked me again, 2cm and my waters were bulging. I could have screamed :hissy: I still couldn't have pain relief and was only allowed painkillers which did nothing. I begged them, I couldn't take the pain and they decided the best idea was to keep me in, and give me a pethidine shot. I was taken to the ward about 6 hours later (they didn't have a bed) and was then told I couldn't have a shot and was given super painkillers. The first lot made me sick (lovely) so I had to have the drink kind. The pain was still horrible with every contraction, but OH and mum were so supportive, keeping me calm, talking me through every contraction, OH even bought me ice to eat and made me drink water every 5 minutes as I was very very dehydrated. OH talked to a midwife about my pain, who told him to get me to sit in the bath they had available and see if it helped. OMG IT DID. The reason I feel the pain was so bad was because I panicked through them, and the bath relaxed me along with OH giving me a nice wash :blush:

Around 10pm a midwife (she was... different. Anyone else would think she was horrible and cold but to be honest, she was just a 'get the point' kind of person - no pussyfooting around) came around and said I should go home as nothing was happening. We told her I couldn't manage the pain and hadn't slept in 2 days, she decided that I could stay in and she'd let me have the pethidine shot so I could get some sleep. She gave me an internal (honestly I had enough internals to last me my whole life - lucky I'm not too fussed about it) it was horrible. I was actually screaming because she was so rough. She told me I was still 2cm and to walk around as my waters were really bulging. I got up (this was difficult - the contractions had spread to my legs and I couldn't stand up without help due to the pain and tiredness also) and GUSH! I look down and there are my waters! Pouring down my leg! I don't actually think I could of been happier, seriously. Mum called the midwife back who said 'I told you, she would bleed - Oh, your waters have gone!' :rofl: but when I put a pad there and showed her, there was meconium present so I had to go to the labour ward immediately. This scared me so much, one because I wanted my bubzy to be okay, but secondly because I knew I'd have to be constantly monitored, and my back at this point felt like someone was smashing a metal rod into it. Was taken to the labour ward about 25 minutes later by wheelchair and I can honestly say, for those 5 minutes being wheeled I felt like I was dying, I couldn't even hold my head up anymore.

Once I got to my labour room and was put in my gown, and placed in the bed, I couldn't take anymore. That was the only contraction I remember, and it felt like I was being cut in half. I was screaming, saying I couldn't take it anymore and crying my eyes out, I'd had enough, my body had had enough. Then, the sweetest midwife came in, calmed me down and told me unless I calmed down they couldn't help me, and that I needed to believe in myself. OH then held me by my face, and told me how proud he was of me, and reminded me of why we were doing this. My poor mum was in tears as she hated seeing me in such pain, but I calmed down and was given gas and air (amazing stuff) and I decided for the sake of myself and bubzy I'd have an epidural. OH was just amazing here, talking to me about how we met, how grateful he was I was doing this for the three of us :blush: I was given the epidural at around 12am and the pain went away so quickly, I felt better so I was taken to my actual birthing room and got some sleep. They also decided the best course of action was to put me on a drip and induce me. Bubzy had an electrode placed on her head as having a monitor on my tummy wasn't keeping a good enough eye on her. Throughout the rest of my labour I proceeded to rip off 2 of them by moving :dohh:

At around 4am I realised that the epidural wasn't working correctly, as it was only numbing the left side of my body (half body contractions - new type of pain!), so I was given a pethidine shot (after how long?) then waited for another which worked perfectly.

Now the next couple of hours are incredibly hazey as I was on so many drugs :rofl: but apparently I was hilarious! I had the sweetest midwife whose name I can't remember due to the drugs :dohh: but I swear without her, the last 8 hours of my labour would not have been so pleasant! We all got some more sleep (by this point it's Saturday morning!) and I woke up to a major pressure in my bottom and hoped things were moving along. They decided to check me every 3 hours from 7am. I was 6cm then, and by 12pm I was 9cm! :thumbup: by 1pm my midwife went on lunch and I was looked after by another. The pressure was getting too much and I felt the need to push. The midwifes all told me not to and to hold it in, but it was becoming increasingly uncomfortable. Mum noticed on the machine that every time I wanted to push was a contraction and told the midwife but she was having none of it and just told me to hold it in as I was only 9cm when last checked. I had to suck on the G&A through every major pressure I felt and finally, the midwife decided to give me a check. All I heard was 'oh... sorry!' my OH told me later that when they looked down there, all you could see was bubzys head crowning and alot of hair :rofl: so she ran off to find my midwife. Now all I was focusing on was the pressure, so the only thing I remember was being told to sit up and push into my bum.

10 minutes later at 1.50pm, after 3 days of labour, I was finally holding my gorgeous bubzy :cloud9: The midwives could not believe how well I had pushed! I didn't even realise what I was doing until she popped out of me and she was placed on me :haha: I just couldn't believe it, she was finally here! My mum and OH said once I pushed the head out she just shot out of me hehe.

On my discharge form it says my proper labour lasted 10 hours, and the 3rd stage lasted 3 minutes #-o !!! I didn't tear and just had one little graze (which still hurts might I add) everyone was so proud of me but all I cared about was my gorgeous little girl, my Keana :baby: she passed her Apgar (9&10) and weighed 7lb 13oz :happydance:

Was kept in overnight to make sure she was okay due to the meconium, but she's absolutely fine!

She's also one bloody hungry baby, so sadly my boobs aren't enough for her! She's being combi fed at the moment to make sure she's getting enough food :)

So there's my story! I didn't realise how long it was haha, if you've read to this point I tip my hat to you :howdy:

Couple pictures for you :)

Welcome to the world, my gorgeous Keana Frances Abigail Simpson :cloud9:

Attachments

• PuffyFace.jpg
    PuffyFace.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Me&Keekee.jpg
    Me&Keekee.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Daddy&Keekee.jpg
    Daddy&Keekee.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 34
  • GoingHome.jpg
    GoingHome.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 30
  • WelcomeHome.jpg
    WelcomeHome.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 25
Loved your birth story hun, bought a tear to my eye, very inspiring :) well done and congratulations on your gorgeous lady xxxx

She is sooo cute! Well done mamma - you did an amazing job!!! x

Oh, she is so beautiful! What a fun read, thanks for sharing it. That pain sounds like a bitch, but you did it! :)

What a brilliant birth story, thank you so much for sharing. You'r really good at writing.

She's very beautiful!

Awwww congratulations. She's gorgeous!

Loved the way you wrote your story by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->