Looking for Tokophobia support!

GingerPirate

Reaction score
Sorry if this turns out to be long, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a supportive network to help deal with this problem and I can't imagine I'm the only one facing it!

Tokophobia is a morbid fear of childbirth or pregnancy. I have trouble looking at anything related to childbirth or even thinking too hard about it. When I do see something on accident or my anxiety gets the best of me and i dwell on it, I get sweaty and short of breath and feel like i'm beginning to have a panic attack. I'm not pregnant yet because my anxiety is stopping me from getting pregnant without some type of assurance that I can have a c section. While this wouldn't alleviate the anxiety i would have about possibly going into labor early or complications during the surgery, it would allow me to at least attempt to have a baby in a manner that feels safe to me. Now, I understand that a c section is a major surgery, and that comes with the possibility of complications. I am not scared of pain. And i'm not worried that my body can't accomplish childbirth, on the contrary, I think that my body is quite capable of accomplishing it. But I have have an overwhelming fear about birth. Because of this fear, I've been told that "oh, it's normal, when you get pregnant you'll get over it." but honestly, for me, that's kind of like telling someone that if she gets raped it won't be so scary anymore. Being forced into your absolute worst fear isn't something you get over, whether that fear is rational or not. I've also heard plenty of "well it's not REALLY a medically necessary c-section because it's not physical danger." Well, psychological trauma to me is very real. No one would say that a mental patient doesn't need treatment because they don't have a PHYSICAL problem, would they?

Part of the reason that I'm writing this is because some women with tokophobia are willing to have a vaginal birth because they've been told their whole lives how that's the "Right" way to do it and how they'll feel empowered and wonderful afterward. This has been shown to not be the case. The most common outcomes are PTSD and postpartum depression. I mean, if someone overcomes their fears, regardless of what they are, more power to you and good job! But feeling obligated to do things the "right" way, when there is no one way that is right for everyone, is just wrong. And no one has the right to make ANYONE, especially a mommy-to-be or a new mommy, feel like the birth that they feel is best for themselves is wrong.

Another reason for this (really long, sorry) rant is that I feel alone! There are no resources for this! and maybe I can find someone else who has this same problem, or maybe someone else who suffers from this will read this and not feel so alone.

I hope everyone has good luck and lots of baby dust this week :flower:

Big hugs Hun hope everything works out for you when u do get a bfp etc.xxx

Hi:hugs: I think I have heard/ read that if you can prove you have this sort of phobia then they will give you a c section on medical grounds. Have you thought about going privately for your pre natal care and your birth as I'm fairly sure you could get a c section if you went privately. I don't know if any of this is helpful but I didn't want to read and run as it sounds as if this is really affecting your life. I hate to compare it to this because of course it's not the same but if you can prove to your doctor that having small boobs is ruining your life then the nhs will give you a boob job. So I see no reason why any sane consultant would put you through child birth with a phobia of it. xxxxxx

That's what I'm trying to do right now. (I'm in the US) I have two kinds of insurance, one that has no pregnancy coverage whatsoever (great, huh?) and one that will cover a vaginal birth or a medically necessary c-section. If I get an elective c-section for any reason they will only cover the cost of a vaginal birth. which would be totally ok, if the difference wasn't anywhere between $10,000 and $15,000. That's part of why I'm so upset, if a doctor won't decide that it's necessary, I have to pay a TON of money outside of BOTH of my insurance policies. If that's my only option, then I guess that's what I'll do, but it seems so wrong. Unfortunately, nothing about our health care system can really be called sane...

Thank you for the support and advice, I'm really hoping that they will allow it as a medical necessity :) Good luck with your #4!

Sorry if this turns out to be long, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a supportive network to help deal with this problem and I can't imagine I'm the only one facing it!

Tokophobia is a morbid fear of childbirth or pregnancy. I have trouble looking at anything related to childbirth or even thinking too hard about it. When I do see something on accident or my anxiety gets the best of me and i dwell on it, I get sweaty and short of breath and feel like i'm beginning to have a panic attack. I'm not pregnant yet because my anxiety is stopping me from getting pregnant without some type of assurance that I can have a c section. While this wouldn't alleviate the anxiety i would have about possibly going into labor early or complications during the surgery, it would allow me to at least attempt to have a baby in a manner that feels safe to me. Now, I understand that a c section is a major surgery, and that comes with the possibility of complications. I am not scared of pain. And i'm not worried that my body can't accomplish childbirth, on the contrary, I think that my body is quite capable of accomplishing it. But I have have an overwhelming fear about birth. Because of this fear, I've been told that "oh, it's normal, when you get pregnant you'll get over it." but honestly, for me, that's kind of like telling someone that if she gets raped it won't be so scary anymore. Being forced into your absolute worst fear isn't something you get over, whether that fear is rational or not. I've also heard plenty of "well it's not REALLY a medically necessary c-section because it's not physical danger." Well, psychological trauma to me is very real. No one would say that a mental patient doesn't need treatment because they don't have a PHYSICAL problem, would they?

Part of the reason that I'm writing this is because some women with tokophobia are willing to have a vaginal birth because they've been told their whole lives how that's the "Right" way to do it and how they'll feel empowered and wonderful afterward. This has been shown to not be the case. The most common outcomes are PTSD and postpartum depression. I mean, if someone overcomes their fears, regardless of what they are, more power to you and good job! But feeling obligated to do things the "right" way, when there is no one way that is right for everyone, is just wrong. And no one has the right to make ANYONE, especially a mommy-to-be or a new mommy, feel like the birth that they feel is best for themselves is wrong.

Another reason for this (really long, sorry) rant is that I feel alone! There are no resources for this! and maybe I can find someone else who has this same problem, or maybe someone else who suffers from this will read this and not feel so alone.

I hope everyone has good luck and lots of baby dust this week :flower:

Hey,

I don't have this condition, it's hard for me to understand as I love everything childbirth related. But everyone has their own feelings, thoughts and opinions and deserves to make their own decisions and I respect that completely.

I have had 2 vaginal births and 1 EMCS. If you're in the UK check out the NICE guidelines on Caesarean section.

https://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13620/57163/57163.pdf

I hope all works out the way you want xx:hugs:

I do not have this phobia, but I do have moderate social anxiety and can totally relate to the whole "Just get over it" crap. It is no help whatsoever to be made to feel like you're being an a-hole scardy cat on top of what you're already feeling. I don't really have advice, but just letting you know that I understand that it's almost impossible (if not completely so) to overcome a phobia by just getting over it or facing it. No matter how irrational you know it is. I like to say I have a front brain and a back brain lol my back brain knows that my fear is irrational, but my front brain just won't give up the control it has.
That being said, if you have a psychiatrist write a letter or something about this stating that it IS legitimate and it IS medically necessary for you to have a c-section, maybe your insurance will cover it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->