losing hope?

Squashy you are absolutely right!! And only you know your oh. you are still young and have lots of time to wait. trust in your heart. i was giving you my experience i wasnt honest with myself, but it sounds like you have it all figured out!! Patience is hard.. but will be worth it :)

and BTW I wasn't telling you to leave him, I have been through that and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy... what I was telling you is to be honest with what you really want and what you think he can give you if it matches it matches! I told my OH at the time that I needed him to be ready before I was 35 for instance... he said he could do that ( I was 28 at the time).. when I was almost 30, he told me he was ready!!

and BTW I wasn't telling you to leave him, I have been through that and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy... what I was telling you is to be honest with what you really want and what you think he can give you if it matches it matches! I told my OH at the time that I needed him to be ready before I was 35 for instance... he said he could do that ( I was 28 at the time).. when I was almost 30, he told me he was ready!!

Hey Kim :thumbup: Nooooo I didn't take your comments negatively, its so hard to get my thoughts and tone across online :dohh: I appreciated your point, as I can see how it could come across that he just doesn't want children and will me string me on until the cows come home. Or, even worse, do it just for me when he doesn't really want to. But I know that he does, I'm just soooo fed up of waiting, it's frustrating and upsetting. I'm so sorry that your situation ended the way it did, it must have been very difficult for you at the time. I really hope my OH is genuine in his decision that it's the right time, when he finally gets there, and as much as I believe that he will get there and it will work out eventually non of us know what the future holds. I wish I did have it all figured out, it wouldn't feel so heart breaking to wait if I had a definite end date where we magically get pregnant without any problems and it all works out :shrug:

He isn't working atm but I am and I earn enough to live comfortably but without luxuries such as new motorbikes or holidays. I couldn't care less about luxuries but he is used to being able to spend as he pleases and has not had to budget or save up for anything for a long time. We both come from very poor backgrounds and know you can live a happy life without lots of money, but I think he feels he's letting us down by not having more money. Another excuse is that our house needs work doing on it, which is true yet non of it would take long to do if we got on with it and we have the money put aside for it already, yet he procrastinates. He worries that taking maternity leave will ruin my job progression and promotion prospects, as a nurse in a female dominated career I know this is not true and I'm in no rush to move on. He is a worrier and a procrastinater. I'm more laid back and take life as it comes. I also realise that we don't have forever to wait and that waiting is making me depressed.[/QUOTE]

This is very similar to our situation, my OH worries about money and wants us to have work done on the house and money saved before ttc but I think as long as the main things are done and am more laid back then we can still ttc, I mean we cant wait forever and I don't want to be too old a mother. I totally understand were you are coming from its so hard to get them to hear how we feel though .:nope:

I am feeling like it's not going to happen too. 2 years ago we set a ttc date of autumn 2014. And this was after years of even waiting to set a date because OH wasn't sure he ever wanted kids. Then last autumn we decided we were going to get married first. I was expecting a Christmas proposal then we would have plenty of time to plan the wedding and get married in autumn 2014 and ttc straight after. It's now march and no sign of a proposal, he says it will be this year though. I will be lucky if we are ttc by autumn 2015. There's nothing special about Autumn 2014 but it was a date. And now it all just all seems so far away, there's no real plan now and there's always a reason to put it back further.
My best friend got engaged a couple months ago and another friend just announced her pregnancy and I am so happy for both of them but it also reminds me that we are neither of those things! I feel horrible moaning, I know OH does want the same things as me but he is very laid back and is happy knowing that he will do it soon whereas I want them so much it hurts! And I really am happy for the other people in my life who are getting engaged and pregnant. I just want some too! Sorry for such a rant.

I wish I had some good advice but I don't -- I can only say I have had similar feelings to this over the years . . . but also that I believe there can be a light at the end of the tunnel.

My DH and I got together right after I turned 20 and he was just turned 25. I was in the middle of getting my bachelor's degree and he was working (he graduated at 22 after getting a 4 year degree). We were long-distance for a few months and moved in together after about 5 months into our relationship. Those first couple of years were really rocky (in all honesty, I still had a lot of growing up to do . . . I can say that now, but I didn't see it then). But ever since we were first together, I always had a of of jealousy issues when it came to babies and would get upset that having a baby seemed always to be so far away. I guess I've just always wanted one. I knew of course that we weren't ready for one for a long time (money, not living in a place where we wanted to settle down, etc) . . . but I would still get very upset with DH that he never seemed to really want a child like I did. When we were first together, he understood from the beginning that child(ren) were part of "the deal" when it came to being with me in the long term, so he never said we wouldn't have them, or that he didn't want them, but would never talk about them in any sense other than the abstract.

Fast-forward to ~4 years ago. We've moved to a new place and I'm 25. I've started working on my career for a couple of years, but I am starting to get antsy. When I bring up the idea of having a baby, not in the sense that 'we should do it now' but 'let's make a plan', I would get a lot of very non-committal answers and the general statement of, "we're just not ready yet". We had a few pretty big fights over the last few years about this, but usually they would end up with me in tears because I felt like DH would never think we are "ready" . . . and him trying to comfort me explaining that he didn't know what reason I had to think that. Sometimes men don't understand ](*,)

But last year (when I am 28), we are living in a home we own (with room for baby), are doing well financially, etc. I start talking more seriously about it to him (but also carefully) about things related to parenthood. I also talk to my doctor, do my own research, and instead of talking about "when we will start TTC", I start talking about things related to what kind of parent I wanted to be, what kind of life I wanted to have for my kids, what kind of things I thought we should do or not do as parents. Surprisingly (or not, if I had just trusted him), he was open to these conversations (he doesn't ever talk much about things, but he didn't shut these conversations out).

Fast-forward again to this year (February), I am a couple months into being 29 and DH knows I have a lot of concerns about being able to get pregnant, because I have always struggled with my weight, which we all know can affect fertility, and because my periods were super irregular when I was younger before going on the pill. He also knows I don't want to be well into my thirties when I first start TTC (I have casually, but clearly, made all these points clear to him over the years). So in Feb of this year I go to the doctor for a regular smear and talk a bit about my history and the steps for TTC. The doctor explains that my heart and blood pressure and whatnot are all good, but of course I should lose weight (which I have struggled with for many years) . . . but also explains there are risks in waiting until well into my 30's before trying, especially if I will have fertility problems. So she explains what she thinks should be the steps to proceed (i.e, go off pill, use condoms, track ovulation and see if I settle into a cycle before TTC, so we at least know what we are dealing with). Much to my surprise, I talked about this to DH that evening and he wasn't shocked or scared :winkwink: A couple weeks later and it is time to start a new birth control pack and I ask him does he think we should go off the pills and start down, "the path". After thinking for a few minutes he says, "We can if you want." :happydance: Of course being pragmatic, he wants to have a quick discussion about things like, what will we do if we get pregnant accidentally early, etc, but he was totally on-board.

Right now we are working on bringing some builders in to remove our kitchen, replace the floor, and re-install the kitchen, which is going to cost about $14.000 (builders are expensive in Denmark :wacko:) . . . which it will be nice to have this done before TTC. But just today DH referred to TTC as "the next project" after we are done with the kitchen :happydance: so I know he is on board, after all those years of saying, "We're not ready!" and also refusing to give me a date (he always argued that dates are stupid because there is no way to know if we will be "ready" by then). Instead he asked me to trust him that he was going to hold up his end of the deal all those years.

As I said before, I really don't have any good advice . . . but maybe you can get some new perspective from my experience. :hugs: I wish I could help more :flower:

I wish I had some good advice but I don't -- I can only say I have had similar feelings to this over the years . . . but also that I believe there can be a light at the end of the tunnel.

My DH and I got together right after I turned 20 and he was just turned 25. I was in the middle of getting my bachelor's degree and he was working (he graduated at 22 after getting a 4 year degree). We were long-distance for a few months and moved in together after about 5 months into our relationship. Those first couple of years were really rocky (in all honesty, I still had a lot of growing up to do . . . I can say that now, but I didn't see it then). But ever since we were first together, I always had a of of jealousy issues when it came to babies and would get upset that having a baby seemed always to be so far away. I guess I've just always wanted one. I knew of course that we weren't ready for one for a long time (money, not living in a place where we wanted to settle down, etc) . . . but I would still get very upset with DH that he never seemed to really want a child like I did. When we were first together, he understood from the beginning that child(ren) were part of "the deal" when it came to being with me in the long term, so he never said we wouldn't have them, or that he didn't want them, but would never talk about them in any sense other than the abstract.

Fast-forward to ~4 years ago. We've moved to a new place and I'm 25. I've started working on my career for a couple of years, but I am starting to get antsy. When I bring up the idea of having a baby, not in the sense that 'we should do it now' but 'let's make a plan', I would get a lot of very non-committal answers and the general statement of, "we're just not ready yet". We had a few pretty big fights over the last few years about this, but usually they would end up with me in tears because I felt like DH would never think we are "ready" . . . and him trying to comfort me explaining that he didn't know what reason I had to think that. Sometimes men don't understand ](*,)

But last year (when I am 28), we are living in a home we own (with room for baby), are doing well financially, etc. I start talking more seriously about it to him (but also carefully) about things related to parenthood. I also talk to my doctor, do my own research, and instead of talking about "when we will start TTC", I start talking about things related to what kind of parent I wanted to be, what kind of life I wanted to have for my kids, what kind of things I thought we should do or not do as parents. Surprisingly (or not, if I had just trusted him), he was open to these conversations (he doesn't ever talk much about things, but he didn't shut these conversations out).

Fast-forward again to this year (February), I am a couple months into being 29 and DH knows I have a lot of concerns about being able to get pregnant, because I have always struggled with my weight, which we all know can affect fertility, and because my periods were super irregular when I was younger before going on the pill. He also knows I don't want to be well into my thirties when I first start TTC (I have casually, but clearly, made all these points clear to him over the years). So in Feb of this year I go to the doctor for a regular smear and talk a bit about my history and the steps for TTC. The doctor explains that my heart and blood pressure and whatnot are all good, but of course I should lose weight (which I have struggled with for many years) . . . but also explains there are risks in waiting until well into my 30's before trying, especially if I will have fertility problems. So she explains what she thinks should be the steps to proceed (i.e, go off pill, use condoms, track ovulation and see if I settle into a cycle before TTC, so we at least know what we are dealing with). Much to my surprise, I talked about this to DH that evening and he wasn't shocked or scared :winkwink: A couple weeks later and it is time to start a new birth control pack and I ask him does he think we should go off the pills and start down, "the path". After thinking for a few minutes he says, "We can if you want." :happydance: Of course being pragmatic, he wants to have a quick discussion about things like, what will we do if we get pregnant accidentally early, etc, but he was totally on-board.

Right now we are working on bringing some builders in to remove our kitchen, replace the floor, and re-install the kitchen, which is going to cost about $14.000 (builders are expensive in Denmark :wacko:) . . . which it will be nice to have this done before TTC. But just today DH referred to TTC as "the next project" after we are done with the kitchen :happydance: so I know he is on board, after all those years of saying, "We're not ready!" and also refusing to give me a date (he always argued that dates are stupid because there is no way to know if we will be "ready" by then). Instead he asked me to trust him that he was going to hold up his end of the deal all those years.

As I said before, I really don't have any good advice . . . but maybe you can get some new perspective from my experience. :hugs: I wish I could help more :flower:

Nice to hear a positive WTT story :thumbup: really hope things all go well for you after your long long wait, exciting times :happydance:

I am feeling like it's not going to happen too. 2 years ago we set a ttc date of autumn 2014. And this was after years of even waiting to set a date because OH wasn't sure he ever wanted kids. Then last autumn we decided we were going to get married first. I was expecting a Christmas proposal then we would have plenty of time to plan the wedding and get married in autumn 2014 and ttc straight after. It's now march and no sign of a proposal, he says it will be this year though. I will be lucky if we are ttc by autumn 2015. There's nothing special about Autumn 2014 but it was a date. And now it all just all seems so far away, there's no real plan now and there's always a reason to put it back further.
My best friend got engaged a couple months ago and another friend just announced her pregnancy and I am so happy for both of them but it also reminds me that we are neither of those things! I feel horrible moaning, I know OH does want the same things as me but he is very laid back and is happy knowing that he will do it soon whereas I want them so much it hurts! And I really am happy for the other people in my life who are getting engaged and pregnant. I just want some too! Sorry for such a rant.

Totally hear how you're feeling :hugs: It's so tiring, I feel like my life is on tick over until we start WTT. We are getting married soon, but we've been getting married at some point for years lol. We've had TTC dates before, but then something always gets in the way. It's hard feeling so deflated, I just want to speed things up and get this horrible wait over with!

Totally hear how you're feeling :hugs: It's so tiring, I feel like my life is on tick over until we start WTT. We are getting married soon, but we've been getting married at some point for years lol. We've had TTC dates before, but then something always gets in the way. It's hard feeling so deflated, I just want to speed things up and get this horrible wait over with!

I could have written your post! Fingers crossed for you finally getting there. It will be so worth it when it happens! My circumstances have changed again as we are putting the wedding back and looking at getting a house sorted as we are moving soon. Renting first then buying so babies could happen once that's done. So this could be for the better but still no date and plenty of things could get on the way and push it back etc. Fingers crossed for us both :hugs:

I could have written your post! Fingers crossed for you finally getting there. It will be so worth it when it happens! My circumstances have changed again as we are putting the wedding back and looking at getting a house sorted as we are moving soon. Renting first then buying so babies could happen once that's done. So this could be for the better but still no date and plenty of things could get on the way and push it back etc. Fingers crossed for us both :hugs:

I was with my ex for 5 years from age 20 to 25 and part of the reason I broke up with him was because he wouldn't/couldn't decide if or when he wanted kids. I knew I definitely wanted them and for me it was a 'dealbreaker' I just couldn't see myself potentially spending my life with someone who didn't see eye to eye on something that was so important to me and refused to discuss it seriously. I met my OH quite soon after and we have a 2 year old DD and are expecting #2 in September.
I'm not saying you should definitely break up with your OH but I do think he needs to be straight with you. It's unfair of him to give you no real indication of when he'll be ready to TTC, especially as you've been together for 5 years so he must know that it's something you really want.

I was with my ex for 5 years from age 20 to 25 and part of the reason I broke up with him was because he wouldn't/couldn't decide if or when he wanted kids. I knew I definitely wanted them and for me it was a 'dealbreaker' I just couldn't see myself potentially spending my life with someone who didn't see eye to eye on something that was so important to me and refused to discuss it seriously. I met my OH quite soon after and we have a 2 year old DD and are expecting #2 in September.
I'm not saying you should definitely break up with your OH but I do think he needs to be straight with you. It's unfair of him to give you no real indication of when he'll be ready to TTC, especially as you've been together for 5 years so he must know that it's something you really want.

That sounds a lot like me. I couldn't date someone who didn't want children or who doesn't know when they want to have them. That's a huge dealbreaker for me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->