Losing weight before ttc?

LaurenH2B

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

Is this one reason you're waiting before ttc?

If so, would you like to join me in trying to lose some weight before trying for our babies?!:happydance:

I'm definitely overweight and I know this affects the ability to be able to conceive! I have just over a year before ttc and i'd like to lose 3 stone! (42lbs)

I'm going to try slimming world, anyone doing this or doing something else? Or anyone had any successes?

Maybe we could start a group of how long you have before ttc and how much you lose and weigh in per week and share recipes/tips/ideas!!

(sorry if theres already a thread like this, didn't see one!)

I just have no motivation so would be nice to have some ladies in the same situation who we could all motivate each other!!!

xxx

:dust::dust::dust:

Yes me! I've 16lbs left over from my second pregnancy that I would like to get rid of before adding more onto it with a 3rd pregnancy. It's so frustrating because after I had DD, all the weight was gone by month 6 after she was born, 9 months after she was born I weighed less than I did pre pregnancy. 1 year after I had DS and I hadn't lost a pound :( I am petite, so 16 extra pounds on me is noticeable. I am normally 120lbs, but I've been stuck at 136 and it hasn't budged.

I don't really have a diet plan, I just sort of cut out all soda (I drink a lot) or at least limit myself, limit chocolate (which is hard as I am a chocoholic) and in between eat healthy and drink a lot of water. I've heard drinking a large glass of water first thing in the morning is a great way to jump start your metabolism.

Other than that, DH and I go to the gym about 4-5 nights a week for an hr. I will do 15 mins on the elliptical, then do circuit training some days, or 60 mins on the elliptical on fat burning mode. I've been doing this for about a month now and I've only lost a pound, but I've noticed more change in inches

Ever since I lost 45 lbs,my periods are more regular. Before I lost weight I didn't always get my period every month and now I get it every month except if I stress out about something so much I miss it.

Yeah i think losing a little weight will help my periods return when i do decide to ttc, as i came off implanon in may and didnt start bcp until august and i had no periods at all!

I think i may try slimming world as i lost a good amount of weight on that!

I'll try the cup of water in the morning though thanks :) xx

This isn't a main reason we're WTT but it's something I'd like to do before we do TTC.

I have always struggled with my weight and before we got married 2 years ago I managed to lose about 25 lbs over 5 months by carefully portioning, increased exercise, and no alcohol whatsoever.

Well I managed to maintain that weight for over 2 years (even with more "treats" and drinking occasionally) and then even lost an extra 5-10 lbs when we were on a trip last year with a lot of walking. Well as expected I gained that 5-10 back but after stopping antidepressants and birth control this Spring I have gradually gained 10-15 lbs. It didn't help that this weight gain was mostly in my lower abdomen and I had light periods and pregnancy symptoms... wishful thinking I guess haha.

I'm so frustrated with this extra weight but I guess meds really do alter your metabolism as I haven't changed anything else. I am trying to increase fruits and veggies more, drink lots of water, and am going to try adding yoga 1-2x week (on top of daily walks with my dog) as I find it really helpful.

Yeah i think losing a little weight will help my periods return when i do decide to ttc, as i came off implanon in may and didnt start bcp until august and i had no periods at all!

I think i may try slimming world as i lost a good amount of weight on that!

I'll try the cup of water in the morning though thanks :) xx

Drinking water is one of the best things you can do for your body.

:wave:

We've gone from waiting for my cycle to return to begin TTC, to WTT Jan 2016 (maybe even Dec 2015 - sounds closer that way :haha:)

My weight is a major factor in deciding to wait. I'm giving myself just over a year to lose as much as I can. My last pregnancy wasn't the most fun so I want to enjoy what may be my last one.

I'm down about 10kg (22lbs) for far with plenty left to go lol.

I'd be careful losing too much weight because believe it or not I was 20 lbs heavier than I wanted to be when I got pregnant with my DS and ended up losing weight from morning sickness and I had a bit of trouble gaining in the last four months, so I ended my pregnancy only 4lbs heavier than I started. My son was also only 5lbs 3oz and 20 in long at birth (he was average height but underweight for 38 weeks gestation, we don't have big babies in my family though. I myself was only 5lbs 14 oz at birth and I was born at 40+2). I would leave yourself at least 10 extra pounds for just in case (so for those of you across the pond that would be just a little over 1 stone). You never know how your weight gain or loss will go when you're pregnant, so it's better to start with 10 lbs (or about a stone) that you can afford to lose rather than lose all of the weight that you want to and then not be able to afford to lose anymore weight. Right now I'm only 10 lbs away from being the absolute smallest I can be and still be considered a healthy weight for my height, so I'm trying really hard not to lose anymore weight in the meantime.

This is on my list of waiting reasons too. I'd like to lose about 15-20 pounds. So far, I've lost five in two weeks going back to one of my favorite ways of eating and the most effective for me, which is intermittent fasting. I'm excited for this thread!

Oh what's intermittent fasting???? Would you mind explaining a bit please? :)

Intermittent fasting is when you fast for a longer time than normal. There's tons of different ways people do it, but I fast for 20 hours a day and give myself only a four hour "feeding window". So, I eat from 4pm-8pm. Sounds crazy to most at first, but it makes me feel good and if you think about it, we really weren't evolved to eat so often. Most people don't fast as long as I do, usually people (especially women) do 16:8, but I'm trying to lose weight faster.

thank you for your response. And from personal experience does it seem to work for you? I am just curious because I already sort of do this, I have 2 kids and am kept so busy that I really don't get the chance to eat until around 2pm. And until the given time do you keep to drinking water? Ah, sorry for all the questions :blush:

No worries! I like telling people about it, although I mainly just get crazy looks! Yes, it works for me really well. Not only does it train my body to not need food all. the. time. but what happens physically is that come to about hour 16-18 of your fast your body doesn't have the simple carbs to take for energy, so it learns to start taking them from fat stores. At around 1pm I get reaaaaally hungry. But, if I just hold out for about 20 minutes, I can literally feel my body switching to my fat stores and I get a ridiculous amount of energy. A kind I had never felt before trying IF. Let me know any other questions :)

Also, I always get the "you need to eat breakfast! It's the most important meal of the day!" I do eat breakfast. It just so happens to be at 4pm :haha:

I don't think I would ever fast. Also, I can change my signature today. :happydance:

i have been loosing weight over the last year but i dont really have much motivation so its coming off very slowly.
some weeks i will be very good and then a bad week or two..

i would love to lose another 10 pounds before i start to think about another baby

Me me! I would realliy love to lose 20lbs before ttc number 3, 10lbs minimum. I was losing the weight steadily after having my DD (1 months) and then last November I just randomly started putting weigt on. I joined the gym, I've cut down my chocolate conumption a lot (2 bars a day to 1 a week) and cut back on other treats but I still weigh 10lbs more than I did this time last year :(. I reeeeeally want to be a better weight and be in good eating habits when I get pregnant. If we do try for number 3 it ill hopefully be from August 2015 so in an ideal world I'd lose 20lbs in 8 months and be maintaining for 2 months with the hope that I'd continue to keep a healthy weight through pregnancy.

I do feel great. Three years went by fast.

Down six pounds as of today! Finally, the second digit dropped! I haven't seen a 4 there in years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->