Losing Weight For Baby: Getting healthy to help TTC

MamaMac123

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Amanda and I've been TTC for almost 2 years. I have PCOS and am overweight. I know my weight and poor health are making ttc even harder and I've decided its time for a change. I'm sure I'm not the only one! With my future baby in my arms as the motivating picture in my mind I'm starting off on a journey to finally lose the weight I've been hauling around since high school. Would love some company! Let's motivate each other, get healthy and achieve our baby dreams!

I've been hitting the gym the past few weeks and am currently down 6 lbs! I'm changing my eating habits, good choices and portions.

I'd love to share tips, tricks, recipes, whatever!

:) Amanda

Can I join? Im not overweight..I have a bmi of around 22.7 but I have a very small frame so I am carrying a lot of weight around my middle. I want to lose around 20lbs and tone my tummy!
I wont be offended if you dont want me to join :p a lot of people get mad that I wantt to lose weight so please feel free to tell me to go away! Lol

On another note, I discovered something on sweaty betty's website called 'get fit for free ballet boot camp' that I have been doing. It's a seriously good workout and they have a video you can follow along to! Oh and it only takes 45 mins 3 times a week!

Welcome Destiny! I really don't care how much or little someone wants to lose. I just want a supportive environment to boost each other and share our successes :)

Even if someone doesn't really have weight to lose, being healthier with exercise and the foods we eat is always a good thing to work on, especially when TTC!

Some tips I've been using:

- I have an iphone app called Lose It where I can easily track what I eat, how much I exercise and my current weight. I love it! Keeps me very aware of how much I'm eating in relation to what my body needs and lets me see just how many calories each item has to decide if it's worth it or not as well as how many calories various exercises burn so I can see which exercises are the best bang for my time. Love it!

- watching Biggest Loser episodes online. For me this works. Totally motivates me!

- fitness classes at my gym: I find it's too easy to not push myself enough or quit my workout early as soon as I feel tired. If I take a class however I'm stuck for the hole workout, tired or not. Plus it adds variety!

- Changing my mind about exercise: Exercise is no longer an optional activity for me. It doesn't matter if I had a long day or I'm not feeling my best or I just want to get home to my husband or whatever excuses my brain cooks up. Exercise is like going to work now, it simply is not optional.

Hey can I join u ladies? my name is Amanda & I also have pcos. I lost 50 lbs last yr & got pregnant but sadly ended in mc then my grandpa passed away & I got very depressed & gained some of it back. We are now back to ttc & back on Metformin & clomid to help, now just to get myself motivated to work out and eat healthy again.

Welcome Amanda! So sorry to hear about your miscarriage and your grandpas death. Loss is so hard :( Good luck with your goals! What things are you doing? Diet changes? Exercise? :)

I joined weightwatchers to lose 3 1/2 stone as I also have PCOS and was overweight. I believe it helped us to conceive, or at the very least having a healthy BMI meant that the NHS were willing to start treatment with me (which fortunately we didn't need in the end).

Weightwatchers completely changed the way I thought about for and it's helped me while being pregnant, because I know I would have been a typical "eat for 2" mum, but I've managed to stay healthy and while I've put on 3 stone, it's all bump!

I'm planning on going straight back as soon as I can to lose the baby weight and I know I can do it. Everyone says don't rush to lose the weight but I know if if don't do it asap then it is likely I just won't do it at all.

Best of luck to you xxx

I also have pcos, I joined weight watchers today!
My bmi is around 36

Ladies, I was 200 lbs month ago, I lost 13 lbs this month with exercise and diet and now down to 187 and conceived! A healthy diet is really so important and I hope to maintain a healthy diet throughout my pregnancy hopefully. Hope you don't mind me commenting, but losing even just a little bit of weight can go such a long way when TTC. Good luck ladies, xoxoxo.

Ladies, I was 200 lbs month ago, I lost 13 lbs this month with exercise and diet and now down to 187 and conceived! A healthy diet is really so important and I hope to maintain a healthy diet throughout my pregnancy hopefully. Hope you don't mind me commenting, but losing even just a little bit of weight can go such a long way when TTC. Good luck ladies, xoxoxo.

That's so inspiring, thank you :)

I'm in for this challenge/thread. I need to get fit and healthy and at least keep focused this way.

I'm currently doing weight watchers. x

That's so inspiring, thank you :)

I'm in for this challenge/thread. I need to get fit and healthy and at least keep focused this way.

I'm currently doing weight watchers. x

You're welcome! Weight watchers is great, how much are you aiming to lose?

Hi,
I am obese according to BMI (currently just under 34) and weigh around 210 pounds. Over the last year or so I have lost about 100 pounds by eating a calorie restrictive diet (which I've counted using MyFitnessPal app). In the last couple of months I have started to exercise which I didn't really before.
A major motivation for the weight loss was TTC, and I have started properly trying to conceive in my last cycle basically. I have a target weight of about 150 pounds but short term goals include just getting a BMI of under 30 so I am no longer in the obese category which means getting down to about 185.
A major issue for me currently that in the week before my AF turns up I start craving all the junk food in the world and in the last few months I have difficulty motivating myself to find my willpower and ignore cravings which has ended up in me binge eating a fair bit.
I've started temping and find that eating too much increases my temperature so another motivation I am using this much is that I don't want anything to affect my temperature which will hopefully make me think twice before I eat a massive amount of junk food.

Hope this thread will stay - would love the support!

I'm glad this group is growing! I have lost 3lbs it seems in 2 weeks so yay for that! Just hope it stays off.
I still have a way to go. I weigh 12lbs more now than I did when I was 9 months pregnant...which means I'm around 45 lbs heavier than I was when I fell pregnant..ideally I want to lose another 20-25lbs! :)

Welcome Amanda! So sorry to hear about your miscarriage and your grandpas death. Loss is so hard :( Good luck with your goals! What things are you doing? Diet changes? Exercise? :)

Thank you, it was a hard end of the year but I know this one will be better..

I am going to start back on the 17 day diet, it is pretty much cutting out carbs & eating green. I am also going to get back into excercising, I'm going to start walking my dogs twice a day & riding a stationary bike again.....

Hello! My name is also Amanda, but I go by Mandie:)
I've also been using the Lose It app and my husband and I just joined a gym tonight. I'm currently in the obese category and trying to get my bmi down to below 30, not necessarily to "conceive" per say, but to be able to start infertility treatments. We've been TTC now for over 3 years and my obgyn is concerned with the condition of my tubes from two surgeries from am ectopic pregnancy and is already talking ivf with us. I'd hate to spend that much money and have it not work because I'm too overweight, so here my journey starts. Used to weigh 140 and looking to get back down to that. Lost three lbs so far...only 60 more to go! Lol

M knight and Supershewolf thanks so much for the inspiring words! I love hearing that this worked for others. Gives me a lot of hope!

Welcome Tink & Hopeful! Good luck with weight watchers! I've done that in the past and lost some weight on it. :)

Welcome Destiny, Ft108 & Mandie! I love how many people we have already!!!!

Ft108 - what sort of junk foods do you curve most? Maybe we can think of some healthier alternatives that can curb the cravings. For example, of you crave ice cream an easy swap out is to freeze a tub of low fat Cool Whip. I eat it with some berries and that covers an ice cream/sweet treat craving nicely. I also like the no sugar added jello pudding cups. Just have to limit yourself to the one! For salty treats I like to do air popper popcorn with a little Parmesan cheese or a popcorn seasoning from the herbs an spices section of the store. Another thing I just learned is to take a whole wheat tortilla and stick it in the oven or toaster over for a few minutes to let it crisp up then you can use it like a tostada or a pizza crust. I was thinking it would be so easy to cut it into triangles and bake to make way healthier chips with a little salsa. Another easy swap is instead of using sour cream for veggie dip use nonfat plain Greek yogurt. Tastes a lot like sour cream and has loads of good protein. I mix a little ranch seasoning with it and eat with carrots or other veggies. Hope some of those help!! :)

Oh I had a weird story to share too....so the last two nights I've had this really weird dream. It made no sense to me so I looked it up on a dream interpretation website. Apparently my dream means I'm seeking authority and control and feeling empowered! Totally describes how I'm feeling about my weight, my health my exercise and my ttc right now! Was a nice little affirmation :)

Mamamac I love dreams , but never take time to interpret them (mine are pretty weird!). And good for you! Take control of that and kick your weight to the curb! (As far as I'm concerned she's a bit*** anyway ;) )

If any of you have questions about supplements to help weight loss please ask me. I work in a vitamin store and we are full of info and products and diets. The paleo diet has worked for my coworker (lost 8 lbs in two weeks so far and hasn't worked out at all). Wouldn't work for me though. You can't have potatoes on that one and I love me some potatoes.

I do have a Raw Fit shake everyday though. Either for breakfast or lunch, and it definitely works in curbing my appetite. Its gritty and takes some getting used to, but I'm willing to do whatever I need to do at this point .

Mod19 - I feel the same way. Whatever it takes. Of course today is Valentines Day and there are treats galore all around me. Ugh!

So this morning I almost busted into some fruit snacks on the way to work but I stopped myself. Yay me! Than for breakfast (I work as a nanny so I eat at work with the kids) I was about to reach for a bowl of cereal but that is totally my downfall. I always eat too big a bowl and all those empty carbs first thing in the morning don't fill me up enough and I want to keep eating all morning. On days I feel strong an motivated I can have my cereal and some fruit in nice measured out portions and be fine. I could totally feel today is not one of those days. So instead I'm staring at the open cupboard trying to decide what to eat instead and one if my kiddos suggests fruit salad.

So I made a high protein fruit salad and I can't even finish it! Totally filling, under 300 calories, 16 g of protein and only 2 g of fat!

So I thought I'd share :)

1/4 c blueberries
Half banana diced
Half small apple diced
1 single serving Oikos Greek yogurt cup (any flavour, mine is rasp pomegranate)
1/2 c Kashi Go Lean protein & fibre cereal

Mix it all up! Yummy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"