Losing weight? Pregnancy raises metabolism? No morning sickness, yet. Why losing??

calm81

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I'm only 5 weeks on the dot and the weight is starting to go down on the scale. I'm eating a lot because I seem to be hungry ALL of the time since few days past ovulation. My body is bloated to the point where it's hard for me to take off my wedding ring (normally loose) and the scale is showing loss in weight.

Does your metabolism increase this much early in pregnancy? If so, any of you can explain it better for me? For instance, comparing it to calories burned if exercising, how much more calories or energy is being used right now? I don't care to lose weight, I'm a good weight right now, but curious as to know why WITHOUT morning sickness AND increase in food, why my body is losing weight.

Again, if you could, do a comparison, ex. say you eat 2500 calories today you net 2000 because your body burned 500 calories just by being pregnant and building new life. :flower:

P.S. I don't eat fast-food but I do make the occasional spaghetti and meatballs with side salads…..so it isn't because I'm eating MORE OF THE HEALTHIER FOODS because I've always ate home cooked meals with salads, not low calorie dinners but healthy in comparison to take out (take away for the UK people:)), so just to rule that out--diet hasn't changed just eating a little bit more.

THANKS!

Not sure! I lost weight before having any major symptoms with my last pregnancy. It's something you should discuss with your ob. Giving you a friendly bump as well as stalking to see how things turn out! <3

I eat like utter crap and I'm down 5 lbs. I read somewhere (don't recall where though) that being pregnant burns an average of 300 calories/day, and breastfeeding is about 500. Don't quote me on those numbers though.

Pregnancy can mess with your thyroid. I would ask to have a thyroid panel run.

Thanks, ladies.

I have my first doctors appointment next Thursday (pregnancy confirmation appt), and will ask my doctor. :)

You're not the only one! I noticed before ii even thought I might be pregnant that I was losing weight. I'm only 3 weeks and 5 days but in the last two weeks I've gone from 210 lbs to 198...

i'm not complaining but that was definitely my first symptom!

Hi Girls,

I'm also losing weight with no ms. I have cut out junk like chocolate etc, and sticking to healthy eating but yes this does concerns me too!

Just going to throw this out there...but HcG, which is obviously a pregnancy hormone, is injected into over weight men and women to trigger rapid weight loss. I actually went on this "diet" about three years ago and lost 40 pounds in a month. So, you're not crazy! In the beginning of pregnany, your HcG levels shoot up rapidly, makes sense that it would cause you to lose weight. Combine that with MS (which hit me hard from 6-12 weeks), don't be alarmed if you drop several pounds at first. I'm just getting into second trimester and I'm just now gaining back a couple of the pounds that I lost in the begining.

I completely forgot about the HCG craze people were excited about--even my mother. I never tried it but thanks for the info. Who would've thought, "get pregnant to lose weight, ladies." Haha! :happydance:

I eat constantly and I'm now 13 weeks, getting a bump and I have stayed pretty much the same which must mean if I take into consideration the baby, the placenta, the fluid, the breast growth and the added bloat I must have actually lost weight (if u get what I mean), my midwife or consultant aren't in the slightest bit concerned, plus it depends on what weight u were at the start

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I lost only 3lbs early in my first trimester. Typically the docs associate it with ms, but I never had ms symptoms. I attributed it to how hard your body is working to make that baby because all I did was eat and sleep up to my 11th week and stayed at -3 lbs. Whereas my last pregnancy was a missed m/c and I had the same appetite but I gained 10+lbs in one week! Bc my body wasn't using those nutrients for the baby.

Just this week, middle of my 11th wk, my appetite increased a TON and now I'm at 0 weight gain instead of -3. My doc told me that as long as you're not severely underweight and as long as the weight loss doesn't exceed 10% of your original body weight then you're fine.

And my doc actually told me I really didn't need to be concerned about weight gain until I entered my 12th week. Don't forget too rapid weight gain isn't good for our sticky beans either or for your body. Keep trying to eat healthy and listen to your doc and I'm sure it will work out!

Thank you all, very much. It's good to know others went through the same. Also, yes, I'll try not to freak out unless I lose 10% of my body weight. THANKS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->