lost for words..rusks @ 9 WEEKS

ouchwithNo.2

Reaction score
Venting...!
Just on facebook looking at photos of a friends LO who is now 11wks.
2 wks ago her status proudly declared that she had just given her baby her first taster of foods rusks with milk and she loved it!
9 weeks old!
This baby is breastfed, a good weight and has slept all night from 10pm since 6wks so its not like she is hoping food equals a good nigjt even!
She commented It was cute and such a big girl and 6 people liked it, I'm gobsmacked.
Feeding solids to a 9wk old, yes I was a first time mum at 22 and didn't know a babies top from its bottom but I knew food was 6mths, back in 2004, not 9wks!!!
Did she not see the age on the box?
And I do get early weaning but am led to believe that even that is 17wks on,my 2nd has reflux and we started at 22wks so I am shocked by this.
Then to cap it all off, she let her baby have first set of jabs when she had a cold/flu thing! Why not wait? It doesn't matter if you are late, LOs immune system was already underfire!
Are people really this clueless?

I don't think it's an age thing at all and think her age, whether 17 or 70, is irrelevant. Stupid people remain stupid however old they are.

It's her baby and people will do what they want with THEIR babies. Yes most of us know that a baby shouldn't be having rusk at 9 weeks old, but then what has it got to do with anybody else really?? Oh and if her Lo did have a cold then the immunisation nurse should have picked up on it and not given her them.

wow thats crazy, unless she's been given medical advice I don't understand why she would do that:shrug:

edit: as for the immunisations thing surely the nurse should of picked up on the fact her lo had a cold

Not your child, so I guess you don't need to worry about it. Who knows what her reasoning could be ..

Yep some people really are that clueless.. And it doesn't help that they usually have other family members encouraging them to wean early.

I have no idea why people are so keen for their babies to grow up so quickly. I would put weaning off forever if I could! :lol: x

I don't think it's an age thing at all and think her age, whether 17 or 70, is irrelevant. Stupid people remain stupid however old they are.

The OP didn't say anything about her friend's age? :shrug:

I don't really understand it either, I think maybe some people just go by whatever their friends/family have done without really looking into current research etc. Seems pretty crazy to me but it happens a lot.

ill just quote wat eternalrose was quoted last week re mcdonalds.

Its not your baby so why do you care, at least shes feeding him something?!

(this isnt my opinion, but i felt the need to quote what she was told last week, when she wrote a post re someone feeding their baby mcdonalds on the bus. We all know we have different opinions on it, so why bother with another thread on it, that will more than likely get locked too :dohh:

My 'friend' had a baby 3 months after I had Harrison. When I started weaning Harrison at 5.5 months, she decided she'd copy (she copies everything we do!) so a day later there was a photo of her feeding her 9 week old baby boy a bowl of rusk off a table spoon and the caption ''his first rusk haha!''. I was gobsmacked. I wrote something like ''aww cute, but I think they recommend waiting til 6 months now, or 17 weeks at the earliest :) and be careful of the sugar content, that's probably why they love it lol xxx'' she got very offended, wrote a status like ''people should shut up and mind their own'' and deleted me! I didn't want to offend her or sound up my own a** - I just wanted to let her know in case she wasn't aware of the weaning guidelines. Her son was so young and rusk is so sugary, I was just trying to help out. But in future, I'm saying nothing. People can do what they like and I'll focus on my own child. I don't understand the rush to wean, its just extra hassle :shrug:
xx

maybe she was given medical advice to start early weaning you just dont know really :shrug: i can see both sides of the argument. 1 being that its notyour child why should you care and 2 it is early to start giving rusks but like aob1013 said who knows her reasons.

<3

Some people really don't know.

I saw a similar thing on FB and asked a mutual friend who knew her better to try and help. This was a rusks in bottle thing and I was worried for them.

Generally sitting back incredulous doesn't help anyone.

There may be reasoning behind it yes, but would a medical professional suggest early weaning with a rusk?

probably not, no, but we can only assume she hasnt been told that. therefore we cant make a judgement on what she does with her own baby can we.

Hmmm! We know here that before 17 weeks is really less than ideal but it's her baby and she's probably just followed some well meant advice from her mum/MIL who would have done this when we were young. It was an accepted and done thing then.

I wouldn't worry, what's done is done and if she's your friend she could really do without your judgement xx

That's the thing when you have babies though isn't it.

Everyone thinks they know best.. Maybe we should all just get pregnant..Go back to the pregnancy boards and be in the same boat again..So much easier!!!

From what i believe, on a rusks box it actually says "for all ages" then in extremely tiny writing 4-6 months onwards. So perhaps she read it wrongly who knows. I know people who have weaned at 3 months which was advised by the HV.
I have seen Heinz cereals etc that say 4+ but contain gluten. I think the baby food market is largely to blame for people weaning early.
But who knows whats been said to this girl, you just dont know :shrug:

Wow... there was a thread on this not long back (started by rachael22 i believe) and some people sure have changed their attitude on this matter since then, funny that! :rofl:

I was in Boots on Friday in the baby milk section with Sophie, and there was a dad there looking at all the milk, and he asked if I could maybe help him. He said his baby was 3 weeks old, and having 5oz of milk every 2 hours, and his mum had told him to get BABY RICE????????? 3 weeks old!!!!!!!!! She had also told him to get milk that said for 6 months + on the tin! He was asking me if I thought this was a good idea - so I said no!! And definitely no to the baby rice! I couldn't believe that his mum had advised him to get baby rice for a 3 week old.

Yes i know its someone elses baby but im allowed to have a opinion an imo thats stupid and irresponsible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->