Lovenox vs Heparin

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by twinmomma, Nov 18, 2011.

1. twinmomma

twinmomma Member

I'm 17 weeks pregnant with twins. After 3 miscarriages we did some testing and found I was positive for lupus anitcoagulant. So.. I got pregnant again and started lovenox right away. We were so surprised to see twins! Anyway, I got really lucky and got the first 4 months of lovenox free because someone donated it to my OB office (she no longer needed it).

Now I have a problem. My insurance will only cover $500 worth of perscriptions in a year! I thought it was per each perscription. So of course, I can't afford to pay $1000 a month for lovenox. There is just no way.

I've never made it this far in any of my pregnanices so I know this lovenox is working. We also tested the last baby and she had no chromosomal problems. My option now is to start Heparin which I believe runs around $250 a month. I'm so nervous that it won't work as well as the lovenox and that I'm going to lose my babies. I understand I'm probably over reacting but after what I've been through this really scares me. I've tried doing my own research and I can't see to find any good solid information on lovenox and heparin, which is better? I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance from anyone that has had success on heparin. I'm also confused about the different kinds of heparin. I've heard of unfractionated heparin and low molecular weight heparin. I want to make sure I get the right one.

I have a Dr appointment next Monday so I plan on drilling him about it. I don't get to see my regular Dr who I really trust this next week. I'm hoping this new Dr knows his stuff! Anyway, anyone every been in the same boat?

2. swalumni

swalumni Mama of Two

Didnt want to read and run. Medical insurance is SO unfair nowadays. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope you are able to figure it out for whats best for you and the babies. *hugs*

3. Chiclet2012

Chiclet2012 Well-Known Member

low molecular weight heparin = Lovenox
    unfractionated heparin is the regular, old school heparin.

They are supposed to be equivalent for preventing clots (prophylaxis) as they are essentially derived from the same thing. (If you are actively trying to treat a clot, I believe you have to give heparin IV as opposed to subQ but I'm guessing your doses are for prophylaxis.)

This is only from my experience as an ER doc.. I would say it is best to ask your OB what his/her experience has been with the two drugs.

4. kat2504

kat2504 Well-Known Member

I believe they are just as good for preventing miscarriage, but the Lovenox might have less side effects for you. As far as the babies are concerned, I don't think the old style heparin will do any harm.

It makes me very very angry that you are in this position though. I am on Clexane (another brand of enoxoparin, like Lovenox) and I get it on free prescription. I am so very grateful that I have not had to worry about paying for this.
    Is there any way around your situation as it is very unfair that your insurance won't pay for a drug that your doctor has recommended? Does your area have any other assistance for pregnant women? Who can you complain to?

5. hoppinforbabe

hoppinforbabe Well-Known Member

with lovenox chance of fewer injections per day. If you cannot afford lovenox you can try the lovenox assitance program. try looking it up on google and fill out the application with the help of your dr. It can help!! but it all depends its worth a shot!