low and slow rising HCG...possible ectopic...struggling to deal with it

Katie_A

Reaction score
So...I'm dealing with some really bad news right now. Here's the story...

I got my first BFP on the 9th, and was completely shocked and overjoyed. It was only our second cycle TTC and we had been told to expect it to take a long time as my periods are super crazy irregular. We couldn't believe I had gotten pregnant so quickly and we were just so incredibly happy.

Then I went in the doctor to have blood drawn to confirm my pregnancy on Thursday the 11th. Got a call this Monday telling me to come back in, my HCG was only 44. They tested again and I got a call yesterday from the nurse saying my levels had only gone up to 81 (still low and definitely NOT doubling at the rate they should be), she asked me if I was having any pain, and when I told her I had been having a strong burning sensation in my lower left abdomen that had turned into sharp pain over the morning she told me to go straight to the emergency room.

So, I spent 10 hours in the hospital waiting and waiting and doing tests and pretty much freaking out. My husband was working and I couldn't get in touch with him. Thank god my mom was able to be there with me or I don't know what I would have done.

In the end the conclusion was basically that they are very concerned the pregnancy is ectopic (they saw something on my ovary but don't know if it's a cyst or could be the pregnancy growing there) but it's too early to tell for sure (I'm only 4 weeks 4 days) and they don't want to treat me for an ectopic unless they know for sure. The doctors were all really nice, but they didn't leave me with much hope. They said with my HCG low and rising so slowly (44 on the 11th, 81 on the 15th, 91 on the 17th) the chances of the pregnancy being viable are very slim even if it's not ectopic.

So now we just watch and wait. Going back for more blood work tomorrow and again next week along with another ultrasound.

Obviously my first hope is for it to not be ectopic since that's the most dangerous and also my chances of having a subsequent ectopic would be much higher. But no matter what, the thought of losing this baby is just devastating. I was so overjoyed that it happened so quickly for us, after being told it would take a long time. I know everyone says to be happy to at least know I can get pregnant at all, and it seems silly to be so attached to this little bean after only a couple of weeks, but I was really so happy about it and now just feel devastated. I hate having to just wait and wait knowing I will probably lose it. The TWW feels like the easiest thing ever compared to this.

Part of me wants to be realistic and just let go of the idea of having this baby, and part of me wants to cling to any tiny shred of hope that it might be ok. Either way I just feel so overwhelmed and sad. Getting through each day is going to be hard until I know for sure what's happening.

Anyway, any stories anyone has of similar experiences and how it turned out (either good or bad) would be helpful at this point since there's so much uncertainty. Thanks :)

I'm afraid I have no experience with this but just wanted to say I really hope it all turns out well for you. Fingers crossed for you and your little bean xx

Hiya, i just want to say I'm really sorry you are going through this right now- I've been exactly where you are right now and unfortunatly it wasn't good news.
But that doesn't mean it won't be for you.
I was 6 weeks pregnant when I started having some red bleeding, not tons but enough to worry about so I went to hrs docs and the hospital where they did an ultrasound- they couldn't see anything at all. No shadows nothing.
There is nothing that will compare to the dispare of being told it looks like an ectopic and there is no way that would be a viable pregnancy. I don't think I have cried so much in my life.
I had my bloods done over the following 2 weeks every 2 days. First one was around the 800 mark then it took a dip to 700 then started steadily going bk up again by a couple of hundred over the few weeks. But considering it didn't go up very much and still nothing on the ultrasound they eventually decided to treat me for an ectopic.

I was so gutted. They offered me the methoxodrone(or whatever. It's called) and something in me just knew to ask for surgery. So I went in for the surgery the following morning- they found out that it was actually twins and it was a really large ectopic but they couldn't spare it because it was growing along the tube rather than as a round sac.
It's now been 2 years and I am pregnant again. I spent the last two yrs desperate for a baby and crying and obsessing etc etc and eventually I went in for fertility testing. Everything came back normal and then I had a Hsg dye X-ray which cleared out a small blockage.

I forgot to say I lost the left tube with the ectopic so I only ovulate every 3 months.

Since the dye X-ray this is the first month iv ovulated and I'm pregnant again straight away.
I no this one is not ectopic coz I felt implantation and I can feel uterus doing whatever it's doing.

I know this probably does t fill you with my hope but I just wanted to tell you that I'm in such a better place now after everything that has happened. The baby now means so so much more to me because of it all and I'm a better person through it all. So as bleak as it seems right now you will have your time and your baby will mean so much more to you.

Having said that I really hope you get some good news with this one
Please keep me updated xxxxx

I also just wanted to give you support. I've had two ectopics myself, and although they are far from ideal situations, this one now means so so much. Seeing him brought tears to my eyes. Its not fun, but at least they're catching it early. I was 8 weeks with my first one (that burst) and 6 weeks with the second. The second one they were looking for an ectopic since I still had the damaged tube from my first.

Just wanted to update that I ended up miscarrying the pregnancy naturally a couple of days ago. Very relieved that it wasn't ectopic but obviously still devastated by the loss. Hopefully will be ready to move on a try again soon though. Thanks for the support ladies.

I'm so sorry for your loss hon, but I'm glad you were able to pass everything naturally. Give yourself time to heal. The pregnancy loss boards on this forum are very comforting.

So sorry to hear that...but there is a positive to this that it wasn't ectopic. I hope we see you back here soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->