Low blood platelets

Discussion in 'Gestational Complications' started by usamom, Oct 5, 2013.

1. usamom

usamom Well-Known Member

I'm interested in hearing if any of you have experience with low blood platelets. Mine have been below normal for a while and are falling rapidly. I'm already seeing a hematologist and getting weekly iron infusions for severe anemia, plus I did a week of daily b12 injections. Anemia is improving with treatment, but it does nothing for platelets.

At this point, I'm not in danger of a bleeding out- but at the rate they are dropping that could very well happen. I've gone down 40,000 in the past two and a half weeks.

They tell me nothing will help- maybe some brief steroids before induction and that's it. I know I'm facing labor with no epidural- and praying for no complications that requires a c-section.

My question is about when they will do the induction. Anyone experienced this? I clearly want baby to be safe but I also need to make sure mama is well too- I'm a single mom with another child at home.