Low declining HCG.. was told miscarriage. Now HCG is rising **FINAL UPDATE PG.17**

Shilo

Reaction score
Okay so I have been TTC for almost 4 years with PCOS. I started my first round of Femara in April. To my surprise, I got a BFP at 9DPO. Here is my timeline of events:

April 23 - Ovulation/conception
May 2 - BFP
May 4 - Period was due this day, minor spotting
May 5 - First beta came back at 20
May 7 - Second beta came back at 22 and I was told to expect miscarriage
May 9 - Third beta dropped to 20.9. Was told miscarriage was 100% certain
May 11 - Fourth beta came back at 41.
May 12 - Had an ultrasound at 4w6d. Nothing there other than a VERY thick uterine lining "picture perfect for pregnancy". This led my doctor to believe the pregnancy had been in my uterus. Was still told it was a miscarriage or ectopic. Discussed options with my doctor and was told I could do a shot of methotrexate in case it was ectopic, have a d&c or have a uterine lining biopsy to see if it had been in my uterus or not. If it wasn't in my uterus then I could do the methotrexate.
May 13 - Went back for another beta and scheduled my biopsy. My HCG came back at 111 that evening. It had almost tripled.

My doctor and everyone else is so perplexed and confused and don't know what to think. She said my rise was too healthy of a jump for ectopic. She said they've never seen numbers consistently stay in the 20s for a week and even drop and then shoot up in a matter of days. I know women can have rising HCG during a miscarriage but they said this jump was so big and not normal for a miscarriage.

For now the plan is to have another beta tomorrow and check my progesterone too this time. If my numbers are rising I will have an ultrasound on Monday to see if anything is there. If they're dropping, we'll continue as if it's a miscarriage. I was on Femara so I am wondering if this could be a vanishing twin which caused the stall and drop?

I'm trying not to get my hopes up... I had accepted I was miscarrying and this came out of nowhere. I am so emotionally drained. I hate being in limbo. Has anyone had any kind of similar situation to this who might have some insight?

Sorry, I have no experience here. I just wanted to tell you I am crossing my fingers and toes for you! Sounds like it might be promising despite the rocky start! Sometimes having too much information early on is a bad thing. Try to just go with the flow. Good luck! :dust:

I have no experience with this, but my first thought was a possible twin? Really hoping you get some answers/good news!

This is one of those wait and see kind of things! Hopefully they will continue to rule out scary things and you will see a little bean in there!

I experienced a hcg issue with my angel baby. My hcg were up then down then up then down. It began multiplying normally but when it hit about 500 it continually dropped until I miscarried. I had several ultrasounds but none showed a sac or baby, just a thick lining. My doc said a sac won't show on ultrasound unless the hcg levels are in the thousands.
Have you stopped spotting? I had brown discharge and one speck of pink blood around 4 wks and that's when my doc started the betas and scans.
I really hope this works out for you.

I also thought about a twin. But there is such thing as lab error. I believe it was here that I read a lady say her beta came back 0 cause the lab screwed up. I would not take anything until something more concrete happens. It only dropped once and only by 2 so Id wait it out. good luck hun! I hope it was a screw up somewhere

I experienced a hcg issue with my angel baby. My hcg were up then down then up then down. It began multiplying normally but when it hit about 500 it continually dropped until I miscarried. I had several ultrasounds but none showed a sac or baby, just a thick lining. My doc said a sac won't show on ultrasound unless the hcg levels are in the thousands.
Have you stopped spotting? I had brown discharge and one speck of pink blood around 4 wks and that's when my doc started the betas and scans.
I really hope this works out for you.

I haven't had any spotting since the 4th and it was only a tiny bit and only there if I wiped. It was brown with one tiny spot of red. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm still 100% prepared for this to not end well. It's just all been confusing.

Were the bloods taken at different labs? Because those should never ever be compared to one another.

Only the one that came back at 41 was taken somewhere different but they were all processed by the same lab. My OB's office takes the blood then sends it to the hospital next door to their lab. The one that came back at 41 was done at the actual hospital.

I've no advice Hun as I've never been in this situation before, I've never had hcg tests. But what I would say is definitely don't take anything until you know for sure what's going on. I hope things pick up for you and you get your baby.

Good luck il be looking for your updates xx

To be honest with my blighted ovum I never bled or spotted, and had strong pregnancy symptoms. Wait it out though, hope for something wonderful! :flower:

Well my HCG doubled to 227. My progesterone is kind of low at 8 but she said it's okay. I have an ultrasound on Monday at 9:30. If there is anything there then I'll get progesterone supplements and have a repeat ultrasound in a week or two. I'm not getting my hopes up though until I see a baby.

Well my HCG doubled to 227. My progesterone is kind of low at 8 but she said it's okay. I have an ultrasound on Monday at 9:30. If there is anything there then I'll get progesterone supplements and have a repeat ultrasound in a week or two. I'm not getting my hopes up though until I see a baby.

Glad your levels are still rising. With levels at 227 I don't think anything will show on an ultrasound yet but my fingers are tightly crossed for you dear.

So confusing! its an appropriate rise though so keeping my fingers tightly crossed. Had you gotten any progesterone numbers before this one?

If they keep doubling then my HCG should be around 1000 at my ultrasound. It's not until Monday.

No, this was my first progesterone check. They figured I was miscarrying so we didn't bother.

If they keep doubling then my HCG should be around 1000 at my ultrasound. It's not until Monday.

No, this was my first progesterone check. They figured I was miscarrying so we didn't bother.

Oh good, then that's perfect! You should be able to see a gestational sac.

Keeping everything crossed for you. Don't be freaked out if you see nothing though. I had an ultrasound when my hcg was 1960 with my son and I didn't even have a sac. Just a probable sac so its highly possible you will see nothing. But you very well could too! Just don't get upset if nothing is there yet!

With my blighted ovum, i had no spotting, nothing. I went in at 6 weeks and had blood taken when we found out was a BO. My levels were up and down then stayed up then went down. Never got over 2000

If this results in anything other than a baby, it's okay. I'm already prepared for that. It's what we thought for a week straight so having new found hope is just a plus. If it goes good then great. If not, that's fine too. But hopefully my story can help someone else looking for info in the future... good or bad outcome.

I'm really hoping for the best for you. Let us know how your scan goes Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"