Low Fetal Heart Rate?

susurrus

Reaction score
I just had my second scan (after them only being able to visualize the gestational sac on the first 10 days prior) and was able to see the yolk sac, fetal pole and heartbeat. Based on the ultrasound, I measured 6 weeks 5 days. However, the heartbeat was only 80 bpm. The tech showed me everything after she had taken her measurements but both my mom and boyfriend who were in the room said that she only took a reading for about 3 seconds right at the end. I could physically see it beating though and it was the most amazing thing. While I'm still trying to be positive, my OB (well technically the nurse) has freaked me out a little bit. She wants me to have a repeat ultrasound next week to make sure the heartbeat picks up (although she claimed not to be too concerned since its early) and cancelled my appointment today which was just to go over paperwork and take blood, I think. (This is the second time she has changed something on me and I'm starting to think she likes to make me worry.) Do you think this is really low or has anyone had any similar experiences? I keep reading things and have seen it go both ways, but in my heart I feel like everything is going to be okay although I need some reassurance while I wait yet another week.

The heart rate starts out slow. So if it's only just started this would be completely normal and nothing to worry about.

I haven't experienced this myself but I have seen a lot of women on here go through this and the heartbeat picks up. 6 weeks is still early and the heartbeat might have just started. I know some people who weren't really able to see anything on a 6 week scan and everything turned out alright. Try to stay positive. I hope everything goes well. Sorry if it doesn't make sense I have to type fast, my toddler tries to take the phone. :)

Don't worry. I went in for my dating scan at 6w4d and the tech worried the life out of me. For the report she drafted for my doctor, she wrote that the baby's heartbeat was only 70bpm! I worried and worried and worried, but the doctor said it was very likely that she caught MY heart rate instead of the baby's. He booked me another ultrasound with a more skilled tech at 8w1d. That tech found a beautiful baby, measuring perfectly and right on schedule, with a heart rate of 173. :) Like others said, it's still early and their heart is still starting out, so they can be lower, only to pick up in a week or two, but it apparently (according to my doctor) is common for the tech to pick up our heart rate instead of the baby's if they don't take their time, don't have the probe in the right spot, etc.

I'm 13w3d today and catch our baby's heartbeat every night now with our Doppler. Beautiful and strong, always right within the 140-150 range. :) Most beautiful sound in the world!

At my scan at 5+5 they told me the heart rate was low and of course, I worried too. But my second ultrasound at 7+3 it had picked right up to normal. They never told me what it was either time but just told me that it was low and then normal.
Like a pp said, it starts out slow and then picks up.

They refuse to measure the heartrate at my clinic as its "notoriously inaccurate" - they just check for a beating heart!

Thanks for all of your reassurance guys, it's been very helpful- even though I'm pretty positive on my own. I also talked to my doctor yesterday and she says that everything looked perfect otherwise and she expects that the heartbeat will pick up. She said that I can wait two weeks instead of one for the next scan so I'm going back on the 30th now. (I was a little worried about having so many early scans so close together, although I'm sure that's just in my head.) Seriously, thank you again. I'll keep you updated. Until then I just talk to myself (essentially because the baby can't hear me yet) and tell it to keep growing lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"