Low iron/ferritin: should we wait longer to try?

babytobe

Reaction score
Hi there! :flower:

I've been taking iron supplements for four months, and just got my blood retested, thinking I should be good to go. But my ferritin levels have hardly budged at all :nope:. I now wonder if it's because I was taking other minerals alongside the iron, and Google tells me that could have been preventing proper absorption.

Anyhow, I was hoping to start ttc for baby #3 next month, thinking my ferritin levels would have gone up by now. They are at 23 now, so not drastically low, but my doctor said he likes to see that number around 50. Before I got pregnant with my second, I got my levels up to above 50. I'm frustrated that I haven't gotten them up yet, and now I'm worried they're still not going to go up!

Anyhow, all that to say, should we wait another 3 or 4 months? Or just go for it? Obviously now I am taking the iron with only vitamin C and I've done my research about what foods not to eat when I take it. I'm just frustrated because we've already waited longer to try for baby number 3, as my husband and I have both had some stresses since baby #2 that we needed to work through. Our first two kids are two years a part, and if we get pregnant soon, then the last two will be 3 years apart. I don't want to wait, but I also don't want my baby to not have enough iron or me have complications because of it.

I'd appreciate your input, experience, and advice! :thumbup:
Sincerely,
The impatient mother who just wants to have a third baby already!

I think it's best to wait. As growing a life will drain your own resources and if you're already deficient it'll be harder. You can always call yoyr dr or ob to get their opinion though.

I think it's best to wait. As growing a life will drain your own resources and if you're already deficient it'll be harder. You can always call yoyr dr or ob to get their opinion though.

Thank you Flueky, for your input. I know my doctor did say I could still get pregnant but I think you are right. In the long run it will be better for my health. And I was very depleted after baby #2, so I want to be as ready as I can be.

Hiya!

Muy ferritin is 4.7 and recently had an iron infusion, I’m however thinking of TTC... the reason why is because no matter what I do my iron simply won’t go up and that’s beyond frustrating. I agree, that the best is to have it at normal levels :)

Your doctor should know best, but I know many women who previously never had issues with their levels become low during pregnancy, so I would think if you're starting out low it would be even worse.

Hiya!

Muy ferritin is 4.7 and recently had an iron infusion, I’m however thinking of TTC... the reason why is because no matter what I do my iron simply won’t go up and that’s beyond frustrating. I agree, that the best is to have it at normal levels :)

Hi Katzie,

I could totally understand why you want to TTC in your situation and not wait any longer. I still really want to try starting now, but I'm going to go see my doctor and just see what he says. That must be frustrating for you that your iron won't go up! 4.7 is very low! Big hugs to you and good luck. :hugs:

Your doctor should know best, but I know many women who previously never had issues with their levels become low during pregnancy, so I would think if you're starting out low it would be even worse.

Yes, that is what I'm concerned about. I'm just going to go see my doctor on Friday and see what he says. In the meantime I will continue taking my iron supplements and hope they are helping! Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->