Low iron levels: querie

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by i_am_amy, Sep 3, 2009.

1. i_am_amy

i_am_amy New mum to Abigail.

Hi all.
    Hope you are all well :)

I was told that I have really low iron levels and have been put on 3 tablets a days to hopefully get my levels back up. I'm now at 32 weeks and if this does not sort itself out I was wondering if anemia can have any effect on labour? Are there any additional risks or can this cause any complications?

Any help would be fab.
    Thanks ladies, Amy. xx

2. princess_t

princess_t Proud mom of 1

Thanks for asking this ?, Id love to know aswell as im also anemic.

3. jackiea85

jackiea85 Mum of 2 boys

I wasn't told I was anaemic until I was 37 weeks and I had very little energy in labour. I don't think it causes complications as such but it can be a bit more risky if you have a PPH if you are already anaemic, but in my case I just needed a blood transfusion xx

4. lexy604

lexy604 Sleeps through the night!

I was put on 300mg of iron a day because i had stopped my prenatals cause they made me sick. Well iron isnt much better but doc pretty much just told me she didnt want me to be dead tired from losing all the blood during labor so that was the only concern she showed about it.

5. letia659

letia659 mom to Jacob and Zander!

I was very anemic with my son and am again this time Im on 3 a day also. I had no complications due to it during my labor with my son. I was induced due to low fluid but other than that nothing came of being anemic and I ended up not being able to take the reccommeded amount of iron meds becuase it made me throw up and gave me diareah to take that many so I was still low of iron when I went in to have him. I did get an epidural too as some have asked if you can while anemic and it didnt affect me getting one.

6. KaeRit21

KaeRit21 Guest

ive been on iron tablets since 19 weeks, and ive asked the midwife the same questions about three times, shes reassured me that there normally isnt and im still on track for a water birth :)

xxxx

7. i_am_amy

i_am_amy New mum to Abigail.

This is all excellent help ladies.
    Looks like we'll all be fine :D

Thanks a bunch.
    And hope you're all enjoying all the steak and green spinach :o
    xx

8. AtomicPink

AtomicPink Well-Known Member

Helps with the babys iron levels too - which is importantant for the oxygen carried about in their own blood!

9. bana

bana Mummy to Tristan

The MW said that without taking the iron supps this will increase the bleeding whilst giving birth. So get yr iron levels up! Ive just been given tablets for this too! x

10. vineyard

vineyard Mom of twin girls!

Anemia can cause low birth weight. I, too am anemic. But, my babies so far are good weights so I think we caught it early enough to correct it. I've been on iron supplements for 2 weeks and can feel a bit of energy coming back which is nice.

11. KJunkie

KJunkie Guest

I was just recently told I was anemic and put on iron tablets. My midwife basically told me that it could cause problems with blood loss during labor and I might need a blood transfusion if my levels do not get back to normal.

12. lexy604

lexy604 Sleeps through the night!

Im just curious as to why doctors are prescribing so much when the recommended dosage is only around 30 mg is it because were so low we gotta make up for it all?

13. vineyard

vineyard Mom of twin girls!

It depends on the form of it. Not all of it absorbs. Plus, if you are taking it at the same time as your prenatal, calcium decreases the absorption rate. I also think they are trying to dose up big to catch up as well.