low placenta?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by emsie_123, Oct 2, 2013.

1. emsie_123

emsie_123 Well-Known Member

Had my mid pregnancy scan yesterday, on team blue this time :thumbup:

The doctor did however say that baby was low and the placenta was blocking cervix. She said that I will have a second scan in two weeks to see if it expanded upwards or not.

Anybody with experience in this? :wacko:

Last pregnancy I had thr contractions in the cervix and that was terrible. Will it be same this time thinking baby is low down?

2. mama2connor

mama2connor Baking baby number 3.

I did with my DD and it never moved up. It caused quite a few problems through the pregnancy too with very heavy bleeds constantly from 21+ weeks. I was in and out of hospital constantly. I ended up having an emergency c section at 37 weeks with her. I have however heard of people who have experienced no problems, and they have moved on their own. Good luck!! :)

3. wtbmummy

wtbmummy Well-Known Member

I have low lying placenta too. I dont think mine is as servere though as I dont have another scan until 34weeks. They said it can cause bleeding.

Today I saw my consultant who said I should avoid having warm baths as this can make the water settle inside causing complications and that I am not able to have sex again until they find it has moved as again it can cause bleeding n complications. If it doesnt move up then I was told I have to have a c-section.

Hope it moves for u, good luck :thumbup:

4. RunningMomOf3

RunningMomOf3 Well-Known Member

If it doesn't move up, then baby cannot be born vaginally. It may move so try not to worry until your next scan.

5. shiseru

shiseru Well-Known Member

I had low lying placenta with my last pregnancy, it did not move up so i had a Csec.

Most move up after the 2nd trimester.

6. AJnJJ2008

AJnJJ2008 Pregnant At Last!

Mine was low, but not blocking the cervix. They said 98% of the time, it moves up and isn't a big deal and that they will check again at 28 weeks.

I read if it stays blocking the cervix you will have to have a c-section.

7. CharCharxxx

CharCharxxx Well-Known Member

Mine was slightly low lying at my 21 weeks scan so I have to go back at 32 weeks for another scan just to check its moved all the way. She seemed confident it would move up so fingers crossed ay! X

8. emsie_123

emsie_123 Well-Known Member

Thanks all :) I will put worrying on hold until next scan :hugs:

9. STL_Fan

STL_Fan Mother or Many :)

This is my 3rd baby... no probs with first 2.. but had to have a 15 week scan due to pain. mine also showed a low placenta and have a rescan on mon. they told me that as the baby grows it can pull the placenta up. but if not then a csec will have to be the way of delivery. (im not much help buuuut thats all i know :dohh:)