Low platelet count - anything to worry about?

hanrh

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am 11 weeks today and had my bloods done on Monday. Just got a call to say my platelet count is slightly low and I need to have another blood test in 4 weeks. Should I worry? Has anyone else had this? Is there anything I can do?
Thanks all - I'm a born worrier so your reassurance is always appreciated :)

Yes my platelets were crazy low with my son, I can't remember the actual number but they were low my entire pregnancy last time. There was another part to the platelets which should've been at the lowest 4. Something, I had zero! :haha: I have no idea about this time as yet. I didn't have to do anything different, they just monitored it x

That's good to know they just monitored and nothing too serious! In panicked as soon as they told me thinking it meant something was wrong!

Yeah so did I lol. The thing is they tell you these things and don't go into any detail to put your mind at rest! I'm sure you'll be fine lovely. You'll have to come back an update when you have your next lot! I'll have a dig around and see if I can find what my numbers were for you for comparison x

Ah that is so kind of you! I have done some research and it says that it can be a common sign of preganncy. And yes, annoying when u r told sonething over the phone but not explained it properly! Fingers crossed all will be fine x

Hi, I had low platelets in my first pregnancy and they monitored it by taking regular bloods. Mine dipped below the level they were watching for (can't remember what it was!) I got referred to a consultant which just meant going to hospital once and he went through all the things they wouldn't be able to do during the birth. Main thing being no epidural. Also said no forceps etc but in the end I needed vontous delivery which they had previously said they wouldn't be able to do! I think platelets to go seriously low for them to really change how they manage your birth.

I tried healthy eating but it had no effect and the platelets continued to fall. Then when I gave up with the healthy eating they went back up so I don't think there's much you can do to affect them!

Hi pusscat, thank you for your advice and for sharing your experience. It does seem that the thing it could affect is the birth more than anything else!
I did wander about healthy eating as my biggest craving at the moment is anything sugary!

I cannot for the life of me find any record anywhere!:dohh: its strange how you say about what can and cant be done during the birth, I was never told that at all! I ended up with an extended episiotomy, pretty much forced to have an epidural (which in hindsight im glad of!) and forceps last time due to an exploding placenta! wonder if its related somehow. :shrug:

I was told I had low platelets in third tri! I had to be monitored and come into hospital almost every week for appointments and blood tests! They did scare me and tell me I would need extra monitoring during labour etc and that I may not be allowed the epidural but everything turned out fine x

That's okay chicky, I had no idea what my numbers are at the moment anyway so would have nothing to compare! That's really interesting about you having an epidural. I have read lots of ladies saying they were advised against an epidural!
I'm glad you birth was all good babyjan. That makes me feel a lot better x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->