low platelets?! dont help my anxiety

mummynummy

Reaction score
Got a call today from the hospital saying I have low platelets 135 normal range is 150 I need to get another test done but now I'm even more pooing myself about labour that I will bleed to death, please say that one of you ladies had this and still okay after

Hiya, my platelets were just over 150 at booking, then dropped to 135 or similar at 34 weeks. They just monitor it by taking blood samples and make a plan with the hospital if they drop to below 100. When mine were re-tested they'd actually gone back up to 152.
From what I read about it, it's normal for pregnant women to have less platelets. They are renewed more often and are larger to prepare for birth. They can fall without any cause and my midwife said there's nothing you can do to improve them (not linked to diet, like iron).

That sounds like what mine were the first time around. They were low but not low enough to warrant any significant changes in the birth plan. I just had to have it re-tested close to my due date to make sure it hadn't gone down and it was about the same if I remember correctly. I was checked on a few extra times after she was born for excessive bleeding, but it didn't turn out to be anything serious. Don't worry, it sounds like your drs are on top if it, they wont let you bleed to death.

thank you ladies, i finally got a appointment with the mental health team for my anxiety, took them long enough to get back to me, waited 4 months!!
its nice that they checked my platelets and have my records now which is good, just need to sort this anxiety out and the flat before he comes

I suffer from low platelets prior to pregnancy, my first pregnancy I had a natural delivery with platelets of 86. Unless they go under 50, its not an issue, They will just keep an eye on it!

I had a c-section with platelets of 73 in 2012, no issues what so ever.

My platelets are currently 93, again as long as they stay over 50 I won't need a transfusion. If they go below 70, I will need to be put to sleep for my section as they can't do a spinal/epidural with platelets below 70

Don't worry, over 100 isn't alarming at all. I've lived with low platelets all my life and i've never been near to bleeding to death ;)

I was just browsing this section and came across your post. :)

I had low platelets in my last pregnancy, and like you it panicked me a little bit. I had a c-section with platelets at 103, don't worry your levels sound ok and if it's anything like my pregnancy they will keep an eye on your levels.

Best of luck x

Thank you ladies, its nice that they check it. I'm so grateful that I had my bloods done. Xx

I have this too as I'm anemic and I was also worried about the whole bleeding to death thing! I was told they will manage it by giving me fluids throughout labor and a pitocin shot after birth.

Hmm I might ask what they do during labour when I see them next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->