Low progesterone on "day 21" test

Joybell

Reaction score
My husband and I have been TTC #2 for almost a year now. I had an early loss (around 5 weeks) in January this year and nothing since then.

I've been in to see my doctor and recently had the "day 21" blood test. It was on the correct day- 7DPO.
I track my cycles by BBT & ovulation kits so i'm fairly confident I ovulate and have regular periods every month like clockwork. My luteal phase is normally 11-12 days. Some months my BBT isn't particularly high after ovulation by high enough for fertility friend to confirm ovulation.

Anyway, my test results this month at day 21 say my progesterone levels are 19.4 which my doctor's notes say was "too low to confirm ovulation" and suggests I retest again next month at 7dpo. I'll do this of course. I'm also due to go in for my CD3 bloods shortly.

My question is, is there anything I can be doing myself for the next cycle to increase my progesterone. Creams? Vitex? I'm not that knowledgeable on these but see people using these regularly. Any suggestions?

Why would my progesterone be low anyway? What's the cause of that?

Thanks for any input! Feeling positive that they've found "something" but unsure...

19.4 is a great number...unless you're using different units? From what I understand, REs look for anything over 10 unmedicated, anything over 15 medicated. My level was 3.7 ng/ml and my ob says that was even enough to confirm ovulation but it is super low 😞

I think the NHS guidelines in the UK are over 30? I've been doing some reading and they seem to have different guidelines in US which is weird and confusing!

Oh actually it turns out there is different units between US and UK. UK I think measure in n/mol and US in ng/ml. Mine was 19.4 n/mol which is equivalent to 6.4ng/ml

If I were you, I wouldn't start a progesterone supplement this cycle because I think your doc is wanting to confirm whether ovulation is happening or if your progesterone levels are naturally low! With all things TTC related it's a "wait and see" game.

I'm getting my CD 21 blood draw in about a week and a half. I'm pretty nervous because I worry I have low progesterone too!

I just wanted to wish you luck and let you know you're not alone!

My recent CD21 indicated a level of 6.4 and I was told this indicates that I didn't ovulate. Based on this I was diagnosed with Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) which means I don't ovulate regularly. Fortunately there is lots that can help with it so if for some reason that is what they find in your case, its not hopeless. I agree with Belle about not recommending any supplements as yet. Let your gynae guide you in this initially...good luck with your CD3 bloods!

Thanks to everyone. I'd be super surprised if I didn't actually ovulate due to regualr cycles, OPKs and my BBT every month on fertility friend showing ovulation. It's just some months like this one the temp rise isn't massive and doesn't go particularly high.

I think you're right to not take progesterone cream now and wait to see my next blood draw.

Nice to know I'm not alone. Thanks everyone.

My period started today, a day early. Would that effect it?
Is it 7dpo or 7 days before your expected period youre supposed to test? I did it at 8dpo (mon 25th) and seemed to have had an 11 day luteal phase this month...so that would be 4 days before my period

Thanks to everyone. I'd be super surprised if I didn't actually ovulate due to regualr cycles, OPKs and my BBT every month on fertility friend showing ovulation. It's just some months like this one the temp rise isn't massive and doesn't go particularly high.

I think you're right to not take progesterone cream now and wait to see my next blood draw.

Nice to know I'm not alone. Thanks everyone.

My period started today, a day early. Would that effect it?
Is it 7dpo or 7 days before your expected period youre supposed to test? I did it at 8dpo (mon 25th) and seemed to have had an 11 day literal phase this month...so that would be 4 days before my period

7 days past ovulation.

Heres a link to my charts if anyone wants to take a look. Just getting back to tempting after taking a break during and after my hols. This month's chart is partial too. Will be back to consistent from tomorrow due to today's news

https://fertilityfriend.com/home/3759cd

Hey. Just wanted to chip in. I had low progesterone too. I would really advise against self medicating. Vitex really messed my cycles up. It can do more harm than good if you're fairly regular. I took progesterone cream one month, it turned me into a crazy lady and didn't work either. I did just get pregnant on my own eventually (5 cycles ttc) and my early pregnancy progesterone levels were fine. Trust your Drs, they know more about this stuff than we do!

Thanks broody. It's so.tempting to try to 'fix' yourself as months seem to crawl by and you feel you are wasting chances.

I'll see what comes of my CD3 test and my next CD21 test and go from there

Ah that makes sense on the units then. I have super regular cycles too. They're just short. They test at 7 DPO because that's when progesterone is supposed to peak...but that's only if your LP is 14 days. I tested at 7DPO, but I bet if I went in earlier around 4 or 5 DPO (halfway through my LP) my levels would have been high enough to confirm O. My temp always starts dropping by 6 DPO so my levels were already falling by the time they tested. I bet you, like me, are Oing...your levels were just dropping already. I tried b6 on my own but it didn't do a thing. My ob put me on progesterone after O, but the cause can be related to egg quality...so if this cycle is a bust I'm going to ask about cycle monitoring to see if my follies are growing to a good size. If not, they might put me on Clomid or Femara.

Oh yeah I did take vit b complex, omega 3 oil, coq12, vit d and iron while ttc. I did get a couple more days on my lp with these

So my doctor surgery phoned about my CD 3 blood tests. Said "one of my hormone levels was a little low" and the GP wanted them repeated. She also wanted a telephone appointment with me on Monday to discuss. They refused to tell me on the phone which hormone which has obviously sent me into overdrive.

I'm wondering whether the level they are talking about may be indicative of PCOS. I put on a massive amount of weight round my middle in the past year or two and I have thinning hair on my head with no explanation. Periods are regular though and I think I ovulate. Ovulation tests are reliable too.

Any ideas?

I just got back from my Obgyn and asked about getting my progesterone tested. She said they no longer do that testing as the research "doesn't pan out" in terms of its effects on pregnancy. I found that surprising after everything I've read.

Here's a link to the study that shows that supplementing with progesterone does not reduce the chance of miscarriage... https://www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk/information/research/the-promise-trial/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->