Lucas James Marsh - 16th April 2009 - My Birth Story

mama2b

Mummy & TTC
Reaction score
Well this will probably be quite short and sweet as I wasn't actually in labour for that long and I was that out of it I can't remember bits and the rest is still pretty hazy !

I started off getting period pain type cramps in the afternoon and that lasted until early evening when I got in the bath and they went into overdive, I could barely get out the bath it was that bad but at this point I was thinking it was just a sign baby might be coming soon (as in next few days) I called the labour suite as a precaution, even though i felt like i was overreacting ! I could tell they were thinking I was as they kept saying to wait an hour then think about coming in but even as I was on the phone to them the pain was getting worse and worse.

So we made our way to hospital, thank god we live literally around the corner as I don't think I could of actually made the journey if it had been any longer than a few minutes, I struggled to walk into hospital and the delivery suite and then when we got there a student midwife showed me into the room. This is when I started panicking as I specifically asked for no students and this was in my notes, she was completley useless, apart from asking me a few questions she did NOTHING !!! Didn't offer me any pain relief. I was in a lot of pain at this point, threw up in the toilet twice and I was relying on her as a professional to help me......which she didn't. Thankfully the night staff came on at 8.30pm so I was only stuck with her for about 30mins.

This is when things get a bit hazy as I really was in so much pain and most of the stuff I know is what oh told me, I remember getting started on the gas and air which was about as much use as a chocolate teapot it really didn't make any difference for me at all, some of the contractions were so painful I had to stop sucking the gas.

Im not sure if the next bit is in the right order but I remember asking for an epidural, no begging and screaming for one would be right and being told I didn't need one i could do it without and the doctor busy anyway so would have to wait a while. Then at some point they checked my cervix and I was 8cm so couldn't have one anyway. Ended up having pethadine which I had never considered having at all whilst i was pregnant but in all honesty I was in that much pain Id have considered selling my soul to the devil to take it away, it was indescribable ! Unfortunately the pethadine didn't work in the way i would of hoped either, it didn't take the pain away at all it just made me sleep inbetween contractions and start talking gibberish. Oh said I was screaming I need a poo at the top of my lungs then started crying about it ! :rofl:

I remember my waters broke or being broke as mw had her hand up there at the time and that really hurt, I screamed at her to take her hand away !! Once they broke I think I then started pushing him out, again the pain indescribable burning and stinging doesn't even come close !! It took me a few pushes to get head out then after a few more he just slivered out, that was probably the least painful of everything when the rest of his body came.

There were other things that happened but its still really hazy and my oh will tell me something that I can't even remember happening.

I had him at 11.57pm and was in full labour for just under four hours apparently that is really quick for a first time mum, don't know how anyone copes with a labour double that i really don't.

I didn't get my dream birth, which was in the pool as they didn't have time to fill it up and I was in so much pain I doubt id of been able to move rooms to get in. Next time I will be asking for an epidural to be ready before I even get there, there is no way I could do that again without something stronger !!!

I also tore inside from I think lucas fingernails, at least thats what i remember them saying so had to have that stitched up and that was more agony to, I had a local anastetic and gas and air but again made no bloody difference. It has been getting more painful everyday and is pretty swollen ! Sorry tmi !

It was worth it all just to have him in my arms but I think next time (if i ever pluck up the coverage to have more!) I would not be so naieve to think it wouldn't be as painful as I imagined and I would do a more straightforward birthplan that I could just hand over straight away and hopefully everything would be clearer - ie no students, although having said that one of the mws that took over was a student and she was a lot better than the first, but it still made me a bit apprehensive !

When he was born and oh told me he was a boy all i remember them saying is that he was such a 'big' boy, i couldn't understand it at all as when I saw mw at 40wks she seemed to think I was looking at just over 7 lbs so to be told my baby was 8lbs 6 was a bit of a shock !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading and hope I haven't put you off to much !

Congratulations hun. Hope that you recover soon.....
You forgot to give us more pics to oggle over :rofl:

WELL DONE
XXXXX

oops here you go xxx

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 52
Well done sweetie, i am now officially scared lol :hugs:
but i am sure now he is here, it was all worth it xx

Awwwwwww have to post again now there are pics!! He's sooooooooooo cute, he's hair is adorable.
Tell me, did you have a lot of heartburn? I have and everyone tells that that the baby is going to be hairy, which is one myth I want to believe as they are soooo cute with hair!
XXX

Never had heartburn at all ! I don't think ive ever had it in my life lol

Congratulations he is beautiful x

Congratulations! he's gorgeous! cant believe you refered to 'next time' twice already lol! least its all over now and you get to enjoy your baby xxx

Now THIS is why i have EPIDURAL written in big capital letters all of my birth plan! lol! you did so well on what little pain relief u did have!!! x congrats!

Congratulations, he is beautiful! xx

Aww looking at him just screams 'I was worth it!' - he's so cute!
Congrats on getting thro it and glad it doesn't seem to have completely put you off more lol! xx

aww bless him hes gorgoues :) and well done you :) congrats to you and OH :hugs:

Gorgeous :happydance:

pethadine had same affect on me too apparantly with the wierd stuff i was saying :blush: lol

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"