lungs mature at 37 and a half weeks?

brunette&bubs

Mommy to James
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was just wondering if any of you have given birth at 37 and a half weeks or earlier and if your baby's lungs were mature?
I'm getting induced at what my OB believes is 38 weeks, although there is a chance I'm 37.4 weeks if the dating is off. I'm getting an amniocentesis beforehand to make sure his lungs are mature.
So, I'm trying to figure out the likelihood that his lungs will be mature.

i should image so hun because surly they wouldnt risk it otherwise x

Baby is considered full term at 37 weeks.

i understand that a baby is full term at 37 weeks but that doesn't mean their lungs will be mature.

I'm wondering, from women who have had babies at 38 weeks or earlier if their baby's lungs were mature.

my consutltant says it depends on the child, and she gives steriods to mums expected to deliver before 39 - she did mention thnis was due to new resarch and that c-section babys have more of a chance of having a few issues..

sorry not sure if thats helpfull

My 1st daughter was born at exactly 36 weeks & she was fine, breathing with no problems straight away. My 2nd daughter was born at 35+4 & also was breathing absolutely fine, but I had had steroid injections to mature her lungs as I'd had a bleed at 34 weeks & I was given them beacuse of my history of pre-term delivery. I didn't have the steroid injections with my 1st daughter x

Can't really say babies are full term at 37 weeks if one of their major organs isn't mature, can we? If you google, there's alot written on this subject - vast majority of babies don't need any help if born after 37 weeks unless they have specific weaknesses. There are ladies on here who give birth at 30 weeks and babies do great.

Hope that helps put your mind at ease.

I would say don't worry! If your OB thought the lungs weren't mature enough he wouldn't induce you! xx

And they know best not us!

Hi...I am still technically in 2nd tri but am sneaking a peek over here...My son was born at a little over 37 weeks and I was scheduled for the same amnio u r having on a monday so they could see if they should induce me. I never made it to that appt as I went into labor on saturday night. However...my sons lungs were not developed enough and his first breath caused him to have a pneumothorax (sp?) Which is basically a tiny pinhole in his lung. And he was in the NICU for 6 days. It healed on its own within 24 hrs with just oxygen as a treatment but they kept him longer to make sure he hadn't gotten any infections. He is a perfectly healthy 2 year old now, but that was a very scary time! I thought since I was over 37 weeks that I wouldn't have to wory about anything like that. It is good that your doc is doing the amnio then they will know for sure if its safe to induce. Like I said, I never made it to that appt so we didn't know. Good luck to you and I hope everything goes wonderfully for your labor and delivery. :)

my son was born 5 weeks early and his lungs were fine no problems at all, he wasnt planned to come that early he was a premmie, hope this helps xx

The likelihood is baby should be fine.

I had my first at 35+6 and her lungs were absolutely fine. They made us stay in for 1 night just to be safe but there were no problems at all.

Best of luck with your LO's arrival.
x

It depends on the baby, but I think there's a higher chance he will be fine.

yes baby will be fine!!! my!! i was born at 36 weeks and waas home the next day my mom said!!

I had my 3rd baby at exactly 37 weeks and he didn't have any problems at all, we were home the next day.

I'm sure your baby will be fine. Like others have said they would not put you or your baby at risk. I had both my kids at 37wks (naturally went into labour)and they were both perfectly healthy babies. My MW has told me that this one will probably come about the same time. :)

My twins were born at 37 weeks and both were perfect and went home in less than 24 hours after delivery. But I think each baby is different.

Wishing you a healthy baby!!

Sahrene

Wow thanks for all the encouraging words.
This has made me feel so much better.
I'm so stressed about getting this procedure and I will be gutted if his lungs aren't mature and I had to go through all of this

DS was born at 37+1. He was absolutely perfect (if a little skinny) and we were all home before he was 5 hours old! He's now a cheeky 19 month old.
Sure your baby will be fine too. Best of luck.
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->