Lupus Anticoagulant and MTHFR

TriChick

Mom-Wife-Triathlete:)
Reaction score
I just got the call from my doc on Thursday that my labs showed both Lupus Anticoagulant and MTHFR A1298C (she runs the tests for all of her patients, not just after suffering a MC). I was surprised, as I have never suffered a loss and my pregnancy with DS was pretty smooth. I started on Lovenox on Friday, along with daily aspirin and folate/B vitamin supplements in addition to my regular prenatals. I have an appointment to go in next week to go into detail with her regarding everything (she tried to explain everything on the phone but it was a TON of info to take in!). Just wondering if any other ladies out there have been diagnosed with both of these disorders, and how it affected your overall pregnancy? Thanks in advance!

I was diagnosed with lupus last year , I had my son before I was diagnosed and had no issues during pregnancy and no issues so far with this one, can't help as I know they arnt the same but im at risk for getting the same thing you have but was told that's the outcome for my pregnancy of it occurs is very good if its caught and treated . :)

Hello!

My first son was a micro preemie due to severe IUGR - the placenta never formed properly, probably due to high blood pressure (unknown to me at the time) and the antiphospholipid antibodies (called lupus syndrome though you have have one without the other).

I'm pregnant with number 2, being treated like royalty (ie high risk pregnancy care) and taking daily heparin shots, blood pressure medication and of course aspirin.

Just the aspirin would probably have made a difference with my son... glad to have bases covered this time round

I haven't been diagnosed because my insurance requires 3 losses in a row and I had 2 losses, but my doctor thinks I may have a clotting disorder. My first baby had IUGR and was induced early due to severe pre-eclampsia and HELLP Syndrome. My second baby died in 2nd tri and the cause was blood flow problems to the placenta, so my OB started me on aspirin therapy after that because she suspected a clotting issue. I lost my next pregnancy early and we think that was likely an unrelated loss, and then using aspirin I had a perfectly healthy baby with a textbook-perfect pregnancy in 2011. I am on aspirin therapy with this pregnancy, and so far, all is well.

I am really grateful that my doctor prescribed aspirin, but certainly wish I had the option of having the testing done to know for sure what I have. What a wonderful doctor you have for testing automatically! It sounds like your doctor has prescribed what you need and you are in good hands!

Are you taking regular folic acid/ B vitamins or the bioavailable form (Metafolin/ Metax)? With MTHFR just increased folic acid is not enough. It does need to be the correct form.

A little confusing, but a positive lupus anticoagulant test does not mean you have lupus and generally is part of the second round of testing for anti-phospholipid syndrome/Hughes syndrome.

I have posted a link which explains it better than I can:

https://www.hughes-syndrome.org/about-hughes-syndrome/blood-tests.php#.UbyA5r-9Kc0

As someone that had recently been diagnosed with aps, the names of the tests and purposes is baffling. I would wait and definitely don't jump to conclusions until your consultant explains themselves.

All the best xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->