• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Maca Root

AK1981

Reaction score
Hi ladies... I'm currently 3 dpo, but my husband bought me a bottle of Maca root capsules because someone had suggested it for fertility. I can't find much information on them as far as dosage (they're 525 mg each) and I have no idea if I should start taking them now or wait until I start a new cycle (unless of course we get a BFP this month!) Does anyone here have experience with Maca root? I'd appreciate any insight!

Hi ladies... I'm currently 3 dpo, but my husband bought me a bottle of Maca root capsules because someone had suggested it for fertility. I can't find much information on them as far as dosage (they're 525 mg each) and I have no idea if I should start taking them now or wait until I start a new cycle (unless of course we get a BFP this month!) Does anyone here have experience with Maca root? I'd appreciate any insight!

Hi, i was reading about Maca and decided to try it next cycle if i don't get my bfp next month. They recommend 1500-3000mg a day. You can start taking it when ever you want, because it's a whole food :)

I actually started taking 2000mg per day the day after I posted this originally. Fingers crossed that it helps! Also thinking of putting my husband on it, I've heard that it really helps to boost sperm count.

I actually started taking 2000mg per day the day after I posted this originally. Fingers crossed that it helps! Also thinking of putting my husband on it, I've heard that it really helps to boost sperm count.

Yes i have heard it too, but there's NO WAY i can make my husband take anything lol. Are you taking pills or powder?

I'm doing pills because I don't think I could stand the powder. Luckily, my husband is willing to take whatever I give him. We got matching pill boxes for all of our supplements a couple of weeks ago. Like a couple of old folks. :p

I have been eating maca root powder as a food for ages. So I am just going to tell you everything I know : )

The powder form with yoghurt, goji berries, and chia seeds. It is so yuuuum, can barely taste the powder, with the yogurt it has a very very slight malt taste and berries (any will do) take away any bitterness- you wont be able to taste it.

As for dose it is important to work your way up. I eat it a couple of times a week as a superfood, and alternate the powder with other foods on the off days.

My partner eats it daily with yoghurt- he cant taste it at all. It is amazing for men, it gets testosterone levels high, estrogens from the environment plastics etc etc can do serious damage to male hormone levels. If a guy doesn't have a decent sex drive, or has man boobs (haha) he is almost def low in testosterone and high in estrogen.

It is as simple as good testosterone levels means very high sex drive, this is why young men have the highest sex drive- their most fertile stage in life is the stage with the most efficient testosterone process. As testosterone levels drop and estrogens rise with age, this is when many cancers manifest, men become less fertile. (Thank you biological anthropology degree).

I do believe that the benefits of maca for women are strictly diet related, in that maca is super nutritious, healthy rounded diet changes can almost more than anything lead to a quick bfp. I am not a fan of taking it at theraputic doses, because there is a lot of correlation between high doses of maca effecting testosterone levels in women. You def don't want that!

I just wanted to suggest here- regarding it being a whole food, I think you it could possibly have negative effects if taken too much at say mid cycle. It is a medicinal food, so it does not act subtly on the body, and can be as extreme as other medicines. Simply, there has not been many studies on it from a scientific point of view, so it is very hard to be sure exactly what it may do.

I would go as far as to bet that if you took say three table spoons of the powder after never having it before you would at the least experience fever. And it really could effect your usual hormone process.

Do you know about how many milligrams there are in a tablespoon of the powder? Just out of curiosity.

Sorry, I am really not sure, it doesn't specify just says up to three teaspoons. But I am assuming that the capsules contain the same powder, I have heard of people putting their powder into gel caps to take it that way. Say its 500mg per cap, and you can take 1500 to 3000mg, that would be between 1 and 3 teaspoons? I take a tablespoon at a time, and started by having a teaspoon at a time. It would be about the same.

I really just hate taking heaps of capsules, for some reason having things in smoothies etc seems much less disturbing.

Good info there lolasmith :thumbup: I want to take powder too, the one i want to buy has extra stuff in it besides maca root https://www.iherb.com/Maca-Magic-Maca-Magic-Lepidium-Peruvianum-1-1-lbs-500-g/6559

Do you think i could take this one? Maybe extra protein and stuff would help me gain weight. Or should i take the one that has just maca root in it?

Well, in light of all this new info I've scared myself to death by researching this stuff the past couple hours. I'm glad a have a good supply of it as I think it will be good for my husband, but I think I'm going to take myself off of it. I'm too afraid that it will mess up my cycles. I already O reliably, and normally have fairly regular period (2 or 3 days variation in each cycle.) In fact, I'm due for AF either tomorrow or the next day, but so far no sign that she is coming on, yet I had got a BFN the past 2 mornings. I'm betting the Maca is to blame, as I've has 2000mg the past 10 days.

Good info there lolasmith :thumbup: I want to take powder too, the one i want to buy has extra stuff in it besides maca root https://www.iherb.com/Maca-Magic-Maca-Magic-Lepidium-Peruvianum-1-1-lbs-500-g/6559

Do you think i could take this one? Maybe extra protein and stuff would help me gain weight. Or should i take the one that has just maca root in it?

I think that one would be absolutely fine. I am lucky to have a wholefood store really close to my house that has all of this stuff.

A couple of tablespoons of this stuff a day is also fab https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica, and sooo good in smoothies.

I get all of my nutrients with daily serves of superfoods, check this site https://www.oracvalues.com/ some of the foods are expensive but so totally worth it!! Are you trying to gain weight???

I am a complete nutrition geek, I can make a few suggestions if you like?

Well, in light of all this new info I've scared myself to death by researching this stuff the past couple hours. I'm glad a have a good supply of it as I think it will be good for my husband, but I think I'm going to take myself off of it. I'm too afraid that it will mess up my cycles. I already O reliably, and normally have fairly regular period (2 or 3 days variation in each cycle.) In fact, I'm due for AF either tomorrow or the next day, but so far no sign that she is coming on, yet I had got a BFN the past 2 mornings. I'm betting the Maca is to blame, as I've has 2000mg the past 10 days.

The maca could well be to blame, especially given the amount you were taking. I started at a teaspoon (not heaped) of the powder, and took that much for well over a month before I started to heap it, I was advised by the ladies at the health food store to take it very slowly. I think there is always a risk when taking things therapeutically... But in saying that, it is a highly nutrient rich food, and I think it works great if you consume it casually, that way it isn't a supplement.
There is no adverse effects when eating it say once a week. Like anything considered a superfood it can cause your body to go into a type of detox which can mess with cycles temporarily as well.

I really hope you still use it casually, as it is an excellent food-- I sometimes wish ladies taking all these supplements would eat highly nutritious foods instead- that way they would be getting everything they need as well as having a great diet!!

I just have to give this example- my fav food ever, chia seed
--1 serv is 18% of your calcium needs- could easily take 5 serves a day, it is a tiny seed! 6x more calcium than milk
--Turns into a gel in your stomach which slows food to energy conversion (basically really low gi), if you eat it and then eat refined foods or chocolate you don't get insulin spikes! amazing for people with insulin resistance or pcos or diabetes.
--67% omega 3- the highest form known to man in a food. AMAZING for cm
-3 times more iron than spinach

I could go on and on.

I hope this helps someone!

I think that one would be absolutely fine. I am lucky to have a wholefood store really close to my house that has all of this stuff.

A couple of tablespoons of this stuff a day is also fab https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica, and sooo good in smoothies.

I get all of my nutrients with daily serves of superfoods, check this site https://www.oracvalues.com/ some of the foods are expensive but so totally worth it!! Are you trying to gain weight???

I am a complete nutrition geek, I can make a few suggestions if you like?

Yes i would love that, i have been trying for years to gain weight, 3 big meals a day, 5 small meals a day, stopped working out cos i was scared to lose the last 2mg of body fat i have LOL :haha: Because i'm sure you know that if i don't have enough body fat then i won't ovulate. I'm naturally skinny and have fast metabolism. But i would love to gain like 3-4 pounds then i think i would have a normal BMI. I want to start working out again, it's good for body circulation and that's good for ovulation. SO what do i need to do? :D

Oh, that seems like such a pain- Although I am sure a lot of people are crazy jealous haha. I think you are right about getting extra protein, but the best ever thing for weight gain it's lots of healthy fats

You probably know all this already, but I think the best way to do it is push up the number of nutrient dense calories you are having- without a complete diet it may never happen. And isolated strength training will help loooooads. I know it seems like it helps to burn fat, but it really will help.

From what I gather, empty carbs that make most of us gain weight, well, they don't do the trick for speedy metabolism your body will burn them up like it is nothing. Low gi is always the way to go.

So nutrient dense and lots of calories- Nuts! lots of peanuts, almonds brazil nuts, especially walnuts- Very high calorie, lots of good fats and oil- and no saturated fats. you cant go wrong

Things like avocado and dried fruit. Full of good fats, high calories, but so healthy.

Same with fish, salmon is amazing for weight gain. If you switch to high calorie wholefood you will find you don't have to eat quite as much, all of this is excellent for ttc as well!

Also do you count calories to make sure you are going over what is needed- you probably need at least 3000 a day? The main problem is that if you eat say 2200 one day then 2400 the next and so on, you are almost certainly causing your metabolism to speed up. Even 200 cal difference will make it harder to gain. I would make my intake 3000, and make sure I hit exactly that number everyday with wholefoods. you probably already use some kind of tracker but I love this site because it calculates it all so easily www.mynetdiary.com

I hope this helps atleast a little bit!

Yeah a lot of women always make comments how they wish they were skinny like me, so that skinny jeans would look good on them etc lol

Anyways i have to gain 9lbs!!!!! to be in normal weight with BMI 18.5, it's 17.1 right now. There's no way i can make it happen LOL :haha: Few times i have gained 3 pounds and few days later it was gone. One time i tried to count my calories and stuff (2-3 weeks), it's so much work and of course i lost my few extra pounds again :growlmad:
For my workout i was thinking to do weights, like squats and stuff with weights ( to make that booty more round) lol.
What kind of dried fruits are the best? Can i eat red meat and potatoes and pasta and stuff like that? I'm not very good at picking out the foods what would help me gain. I don't know which are good or bad fat and stuff :blush:

Oeh it sounds like mission impossible. Too bad you are not my neighbor LOL.
Checked out the website..looks totally awsome! I will have to go and look around there now...

One maca question too.. i have some left over protein powder at home could i mix maca in that? It's chocolate flavor :)

Yeah a lot of women always make comments how they wish they were skinny like me, so that skinny jeans would look good on them etc lol

Anyways i have to gain 9lbs!!!!! to be in normal weight with BMI 18.5, it's 17.1 right now. There's no way i can make it happen LOL :haha: Few times i have gained 3 pounds and few days later it was gone. One time i tried to count my calories and stuff (2-3 weeks), it's so much work and of course i lost my few extra pounds again :growlmad:
For my workout i was thinking to do weights, like squats and stuff with weights ( to make that booty more round) lol.
What kind of dried fruits are the best? Can i eat red meat and potatoes and pasta and stuff like that? I'm not very good at picking out the foods what would help me gain. I don't know which are good or bad fat and stuff :blush:

Oeh it sounds like mission impossible. Too bad you are not my neighbor LOL.
Checked out the website..looks totally awsome! I will have to go and look around there now...

One maca question too.. i have some left over protein powder at home could i mix maca in that? It's chocolate flavor :)

haha yeah I know what you mean, it is as difficult, if not more, as trying to stick to a very difficult diet! And most people fail at them!

For exercise, totally use weights. That is pretty much the only exercise I do other than going for walks. I do squats and all that with 3 kilo weights on each hand, had to build up to that though, i love it.

All dried fruits are good apricots (these are about 300 calories a cup) etc, although much of them are mostly high calorie from sugars. All the red meat you can handle will do you well, pasta is good if it is wholegrain- white is just the empty calories which do more harm than good, both for weight loss and weight gain. Potatoes are excellent too-- sweet potatoes even better (way more nutritious).

If you can bare it I say go crazy on nuts, haha, there is about 1000 calories per cup of macadamia, or pecan, if you can work through a cup over the course of a day you will have bumped it right up! Even adding these to your existing meals will be great.

Trick is gain weight by building muscle, gain weight by adding high calorie good fats to high protein foods, and avoid junk food! (even though it makes people gain, this unfortunately doesn't work for people underweight- payback! lol).

Yeah add the maca to the protein powder! with chocolate it tastes fine. It's bitterness is equiv to coffee, it might give a hint of taste but not a lot at all.

haha yeah I know what you mean, it is as difficult, if not more, as trying to stick to a very difficult diet! And most people fail at them!

For exercise, totally use weights. That is pretty much the only exercise I do other than going for walks. I do squats and all that with 3 kilo weights on each hand, had to build up to that though, i love it.

All dried fruits are good apricots (these are about 300 calories a cup) etc, although much of them are mostly high calorie from sugars. All the red meat you can handle will do you well, pasta is good if it is wholegrain- white is just the empty calories which do more harm than good, both for weight loss and weight gain. Potatoes are excellent too-- sweet potatoes even better (way more nutritious).

If you can bare it I say go crazy on nuts, haha, there is about 1000 calories per cup of macadamia, or pecan, if you can work through a cup over the course of a day you will have bumped it right up! Even adding these to your existing meals will be great.

Trick is gain weight by building muscle, gain weight by adding high calorie good fats to high protein foods, and avoid junk food! (even though it makes people gain, this unfortunately doesn't work for people underweight- payback! lol).

Yeah add the maca to the protein powder! with chocolate it tastes fine. It's bitterness is equiv to coffee, it might give a hint of taste but not a lot at all.

You sound like a professional :D I will do my best to try to eat all that plus i found out that bagels are very good for gaining weight, so i'm gonna bake some today! lol Few years ago i tried junk food diet and didn't even gain 1 pound LMAO! What a waste. Anyways..I'm gonna use 2.5kg on both sides, with these i can feel how it works on my body. You got me all excited here i might even start today :haha:
I was browsing around on that website you gave me and i totally love it, the best one i have seen ( for exercise you have to mark down BD too :haha:)
I'm glad i met you here, now i can concentrate on gaining weight and don't have to stress about ttc.
Thank you for all the good info!!!! I can feel the energy and excitement rushing through my veins LOL...

I see your Af still showed up :thumbup: Are you planning to continue Maca?

From what I was *warned* Maca root can boost fertility- I say warned because I was actually taking it in a pill form from GNC for other reasons but I stopped only because I felt like it was making AF heavy but from what I understand too is that it actually helps with AF by making it lighter and she recommended taking it every other cycle. I just never ttc with it. Im not really ttc either just kind of taking 1 month at a time ; )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"