makes me so mad

amelia222

Reaction score
A friend sent me this link about not having any animals at all if you have kids under 5:

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27035470/

What a bunch of crap, unless the child had severe allergies I see no reason to not have pets. Especially caged ones, all you need to do is wash your hands and use common sense!

These recommendations are so silly and unrealistic I can't just believe it

-Those who already have these pets should contact their veterinarians about specific risks and possible new homes for the animals, he said.
-For example, about 11 percent of salmonella illnesses in children are thought to stem from contact with lizards, turtles and other reptiles, Pickering said
-Also, kids that young should avoid contact with these animals in petting zoos or other public places

That is stupid... pets are a necessity of life.

And actually, alot of research has shown that shielding children too much from disease and germs etc is causing children to become more sick and for super bugs..

Ive seen familie's who follow all the "rules" for not having sick children etc end up with children who are more sick as a result because they are sheilded from too much... going outside to play in the dirt, not being allowed not so healthy food, not being allowed around animals etc.

Ha! My sis has baby chicks, reptiles,amphibians, cats, all sorts of poultry.. I mean, they live on a farm.. and all her kids have managed to survive.

Baby duck did get a poke in the eye though. I think the cat suffered worse abuse.

I think it best to have young kids around animals personally, they get used to certain situations better when they are younger, including animals.
I got my cat when my son was a couple of weeks old, and now my cat is just like one of the kids, he even plays with them in the back garden.

Theres so many kids scared of animals where I live. Kids (and adults) literally jump out of the way screaming when Mowgli walks past, hes not even a foot tall! He also more interested in what he can eat off the floor rather than eating them alive. My OH was scared of dogs when we first had him as well because he never had so much as a hamster. Its important for kids to learn how to look after something and not be afraid. And anyway I thought that having pets in your house strengthened their immune system?!

I agree that kids should have pets as it does help build their immune system as well as the more ethical teachings about how to treat animals with respect. However the article opens with children couldn't keep hedgehogs as pets. Well no! Nor should anyone else! It is referring to 'exotic pets'. Perhaps their thinking is that our immune systems have evolved alongside having certain pets tht are usual, such as dogs, horses, whatever, but perhaps rarer things we are not so accustomed to? I dunno... I could loko more into it but I can't be bothered! lol

I have got a cat , A hamster .. And 2 Kids do they constitute as animlas ???? YEP . Lol .

lol so what do we do wrap our children in cotton wool put them in sterile bubbles.
i grew up on a farm with horses and spent all the time at the greyhound track, we had chickens, rabbits, goats, cats.. nothing wrong with me or my bro.
just craziness imo.
i'd have thought it'd be best to expose younsters to animals earlier, if they allergic they allegic no matter what age they come into contact.
in fact i know its become a popular worry of parents cos my mum bred some cockerpoo's which are working cocker spaniels crossed with poodles, as they are anti allergy dogs that don't malt....talk about madness, she sold all 6 puppieswithin a week lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"