Making purees vs Buying purees

wtbmummy

Reaction score
I always said I would make my own purees for ds and I have been doing so. We have also been buying 100% fruit pots and 100% veg pouches.

I am just wondering if anyone else does a mixture. I ask because ds will eat an entire shop bought pot/pouch 100/120grams.

When I feed him homemade purees it takes a lot less to satisfy him (only 50grams)

This evening I gave him shop bought and stopped at 60g (which is how much he had last night of my homemade) and he just started crying and crying until I gave in and fed him the rest of the puch :dohh:

Has anybody else found thisto be the case? If so, do you know why it is???

Thanks

Store bought stuff tastes bland and all the same, bought very little of the stuff for my LO.

She's had 95% homemade and much prefers it. Now at 11m I'd not even comprehend buying a baby ready meal, no point.

I do a mix of both, he has a bought jar for lunch and home made for tea. I only do the jars because I havent got the time or storage for making lots of home made foods. I agree with previous comment about jars being bland. My only concern with jars is that you have to watch for them bulking the jars up with cornflour or water- I think Heinz tend to do this which is probably why they taste bland.

The expensive brands i.e Ellas kitchen pouches are pretty good though- but so pricey!!

Is it certain veggies or all veggies? The first thing that comes to my mind would be depending on the vegetable, some have certain parts that have a milder flavor that babies prefer, like broccoli. Babies tend to prefer the stalk part as its not quite as strong/bitter a flavor (not that its really bitter, but to a baby just learning flavors, it can be), until they are more used to the flavor. Just an example, but wondering if it could be something like that? Also, is the puree you make the same consistency as the pouches? Could it be too thin/thick for your lo compared to the pouch that your lo is seeming to eat more of? Just some thoughts, not sure if any of them could be an issue.

I did a mix of both with my boys, but never really noticed them preferring one over the other. They both ate homemade just as well as store bought. The only time I think I ever noticed a fuss was when I first started off making it, and it was the consistency/thickness being too much for lo, compared to the thinness of 1st foods purees. But beyond that, no problems.

It doesn't matter what vegtable it is he isjust more satisfied with homemade. I posted this thread in two sections and in the other thread someone said they use a lot more water in the shop bought hence why they eat more. That actually made sence to me so I am now going to go completely homemade andbuy a few for emergencies. I buy ellas kitchen vegtables at 99p a time and him having a whole pouch twice a day, its mounting up. :haha:

This way I also know 100% what ds is eating. No added this or that :thumbup:

It doesn't matter what vegtable it is he isjust more satisfied with homemade. I posted this thread in two sections and in the other thread someone said they use a lot more water in the shop bought hence why they eat more. That actually made sence to me so I am now going to go completely homemade andbuy a few for emergencies. I buy ellas kitchen vegtables at 99p a time and him having a whole pouch twice a day, its mounting up. :haha:

Yes, this could be too. But you may need to add some more liquid to your homemade at first to make it easier for lo to eat it, and then can serve it as a thicker puree over time once lo gets more used to it. I used to puree it by itself, freeze it that way, and then add either water or breastmilk to thin it some before serving, if needed. SOme veggies, especially, were really thick by themselves before adding some water/breastmilk before serving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->