Making up bottles...?

xxxjacxxx

My Eggo is Preggo!
Reaction score
Im wondering how everybody is doing this for their babies?

5 years ago with my dd we used to make up 6 bottles with hot water, allow them to cool and put them in the fridge ready for the days/nights feeds and there was never a problem with this.

Now a few weeks back my health visitor came and told me that policies on this had changed and that you now have to boil the kettle for each feed, allow it to cool for 30 mins, then make up bottle and allow that to cool/run under cold water...??? None of this making up feeds in advance anymore!!!

I mean, Ive done that for all 3 of my kids before Leo and to start doing this is a total pain in the ass! Try telling a 2 day old that he has to wait 30 + mins for his bottle!

Anybody else been told this and if so, are you following it or doing it the old fashioned way?

:hugs:

It's on the label for us to do it the 'new' way that you described. However, it's rediculous. Claire goes from happy to HOLY CRAP FREAKING FEED ME NOWWWWWW in about 3 mins. There's no way I'm waiting 30 mins for the boiled water to cool. I use the condensed stuff, and I make up about 6 bottles at a time and leave them in the back of the fridge.

Some people preboil the water and leave it as is, then add the powder to it when you are ready to feed. I personally think it's fine to pre make up some bottles. I just try to not make more than 24 hours worth.

:)

It's on the label for us to do it the 'new' way that you described. However, it's rediculous. Claire goes from happy to HOLY CRAP FREAKING FEED ME NOWWWWWW in about 3 mins. There's no way I'm waiting 30 mins for the boiled water to cool. I use the condensed stuff, and I make up about 6 bottles at a time and leave them in the back of the fridge.

Some people preboil the water and leave it as is, then add the powder to it when you are ready to feed. I personally think it's fine to pre make up some bottles. I just try to not make more than 24 hours worth.

Do you mean condensed water??

I guess we're doing it the "old fashioned way" over here LOL. The nurse told us that we can actually make up as much as we want as long as it gets used within 48 hours and is stored in the refridgerator! (Though I don't even have enough bottles to last 48 hours)

Elyse also goes from happy to screaming starving baby within minutes!! :)

I guess we're doing it the "old fashioned way" over here LOL. The nurse told us that we can actually make up as much as we want as long as it gets used within 48 hours and is stored in the refridgerator!

This is how it used to be done over here too but for s ome reason it was changed a while ago now, something to do with 2 babies dying from some sort of germs due to pre-made feeds...wasnt really listening:blush: I wish I had now though1

We make feeds up in advance and store them in the fridge, reheating as needed. No way would I make them up as we go

Thread moved for you :)

By 'condensed stuff' I mean the concentrated cans, where you add equal parts water and liquid formula.

I make up 4 bottles at a times, put water in after 30mins of it being boiled, leave bottles too cool then refridgerate them and when she's ready pop in micro but with her feeding every 2-3 hours it's just easier for me to do it this way! My midwife told me to do it way u got told too, took megan out today to OH work and waitress went to heat her bottle as I had screaming baby and when she came back I had to wait 40 mins for it to cool down as she done it too hot my poor baby was starving serves me right tho fir going to a place that's not very family friendly not even baby changing room

I put bottles of boiled water in the fridge for the day, heat them when i need them then add the powder. Most people I know do this. I thought it was bottles made up with powder then stored in the fridge you werent supposed to do? Who knows, it always changes! x

I make each bottle as needed..I have cooled boiled water ready always and heat that as needed..

It takes 30 seconds and then i add the formula, and i know bub is getting the freshest meal...

Im probabloy way off mark but ive always made the bottles up with cool boiled water and stored them in the fridge for up to 12 hours, if tey were not used they were chucked.

I will do the same for any other children i have too - it never hurt or made my kids ill - but i cant speak on behalf of every one.

It is actually use water that has been boiled for no more than 30 mins but not use it straight away.

I make them up as I go along and have a good little routine sorted. I have in the fridge 4 oz boiled water ready. I then boil the kettle, set an alarm for 15 mins and then use 4 oz boiled water, add my 8 scoops and shake. Then add the pre cooled water from the fridge, thus having bottle at a drinkable temp and no need to wait for it to cool. Then from same kettle I replace the 4 oz and add back to fridge ready for next feed. Luckily Liss most of the time sticks to her routine and bottle is ready and waiting for her when she requests it. I make sure bottle is ready on time but if she sleeps longer than 45 mins past it being made, I start over (Thats rare though!!!)
This works for me, but I know it would be harder for most ppl.

The way I do it is to:
Boil the kettle
Leave to cool for 30 mins
Add the formula
Put in back of fridge
Heat up when needed

It changes constantly, the HV prob wont be happy with it but its the easiest and quickest way. I make up 4 or 5 bottles at a time and bin anything over 24 hours

we have always made up 6 bottles at night with just boiled water, then added formula and heated when needed. for us this always seems the easiest way :) x

we have always made up 6 bottles at night with just boiled water, then added formula and heated when needed. for us this always seems the easiest way :) x

If I could actually like using powder then I'd totally go that way. I've found though that the concentrated liquid is actually cheaper for us than the canned powder stuff. Weird, no?

Things have changed so much with all my kids I think its crap.From my eldest at 11 years old down to my 5 month old.It winds me up so much.I do what I find is best and what suits my baby.I make 8 bottles at 5pm at night and put them in the fridge.If they are unused by 5pm the next day then I pour them away.I also do a fresh bottle of boiled water each morning so it's to hand if needed.

Why should things be different now to what it was 11 years ago.A baby is a baby.they dont change much.still have 10 fingers,10 toes etc

I was told a different way by the hv to the mw. So I boil the water and put into bottles leave on side and add powder as needed then serve at room temp (as told by mw) I only make up 3 bottles of water at a time thou. Don't like thought of it been stood on side all day

I was told a different way by the hv to the mw. So I boil the water and put into bottles leave on side and add powder as needed then serve at room temp (as told by mw) I only make up 3 bottles of water at a time thou. Don't like thought of it been stood on side all day

This is how my HV said to do it as well.

I put bottles of boiled water in the fridge for the day, heat them when i need them then add the powder. Most people I know do this. I thought it was bottles made up with powder then stored in the fridge you werent supposed to do? Who knows, it always changes! x

we do ours this way aswell,
at first it was a pain but seem to be in a routine now. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"