Male or female doctor?

Leafy

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

Been TTC for nearly a year after next month and getting irregular cycles so will be booking in to speak with the doctor after Christmas...

When/if you went to the doctor to discuss matters, did you see a male or female doctor? does it matter? do you find male doctors just as understanding as females? I only ask because i'm quite nervous about the whole process. I know theyre all professionals but just wondered if any of you had a preference from your experiences.

Hey ladies,

Been TTC for nearly a year after next month and getting irregular cycles so will be booking in to speak with the doctor after Christmas...

When/if you went to the doctor to discuss matters, did you see a male or female doctor? does it matter? do you find male doctors just as understanding as females? I only ask because i'm quite nervous about the whole process. I know theyre all professionals but just wondered if any of you had a preference from your experiences.

I honestly don't like male doctors as much as female. I am not saying that there aren't phenomenal male doctors out there, but in my experience, the women I've seen are more understanding. I think that male doctors I've seen were desensitized to seeing women problems constantly, and because they've never experienced it, they would just write off any problem I had. Even though women doctors also see constant women problems as well, they know what it's like.

I think it often comes down to the individual. I found my doctor (female) through online reviews of doctors in my area. She had the highest review, but also the highest waiting room time due to her popularity. But so far, WORTH IT!!

I think its down to you hun, and who you feel most comfatable talking to.

My GP was Male, and a Gynaecologist! So he was pretty clued up on all the pregnancy talk.. but i felt he was trying to Hold me back.. Which really did annoy me. Didnt give me proper answers to questions i was asking! (im a married Women of 24 for god sake..) I find GP's much more Judgemental..

Although, I did go up to discuss things at my Local Sexual Health Clinic (Hospital) All Female, All SO lovely, not judgemental WHAT SO EVER.
Most hospitals have Sexual Health Clinics, you just call, make an app, and go! All free!
They test you for things that could be holding you back from getting pregnant, answer as many questions as u need, and there not pushed for time like the GP's are.

I highly recommend it.

GOOD LUCK xxxxxxx

Well I like my male doctor much more than my female Dr. He took time to sit and listen to me. We developed a plan together. His bedside manner is much better. My female Dr. did not listen to my complaints during my last pregnancy and had I not known what was happening would have very likely suffered a stroke or miscarried my baby at 31 weeks due to preeclampsia. I think it really depends on the doctor. some suck and some don't.

I just feel like all gp's just dont have the time these days, i feel like if you dont have something serious wrong with you there not really interested.. Im hoping to get answers from the gyno ive been referred to

thanks for all your replies, i think i'll just ring the doctors, and see whoever i am given (like usual) and if im not happy after the visit change for another opinion or something if need be. xx

I love my OB/GYN and he is male. I have never seen a female OB/GYN, but I have seen a couple different NPs who were female and I don't feel like they listened to my concerns as much. I feel like my male Dr. is much more sympathetic to my problems because he can't experience them first hand, the females I have seen have always been more dismissive.

But I really think it is just about finding a Dr. who will listen to you and you are comfortable with.

I think it mostly depends on who will make you feel more comfortable, and theres good male and female doctors out there.
I personally like females better, sometimes I find male doctors don't understand female issues at times :haha:

I'd ask around - my female GP is fantastic; I saw a consultant ob/gyn pre-IVF (got pregnant naturally) and he was very kind and sympathetic, so it depends!

best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->