Mamas and Papas Bedding - and bumpers debate...

Swanny

Reaction score
Is anyone else getting bedding from M&P?

Most bedding sets from other shops seem to come with bumper and quilt but the quilts from m&p say for use from 12 months up.

What will you make the cot up with when baby is not sleeping in it?

I was thinking bumper, fitted sheet and then maybe the m&p fleece blanket or something?

x

You shouldnt have any quilt or bumper hun on a cot until baby is 12months plus..its not just M&P stuff its all stuff that say 12months plus..
I my set from a massive baby shop its kidsline the make and that isnt to use till 12months plus.

I was going to have mine all set up and then once baby is moved to the cot remove them really..
And then replace once baby is 12months
x

I am getting Mamas and Papas bedding too and i thought that about the covers, I have decided to just get the bumpers (got fitted sheets the other week) and the matching fleece blanket to make it look nicer while he isnt in it. Going to get the matching mobile, changing mat and lampshade etc to try and make it a theme in there.
x

I didn't realise you weren't supposed to have bumper?

I've got for the millie and boris and they have a matching fleece blanket and star blanket so I've got those to decorate bed when baby isn't in there.

Just when you see cots made up in shops they always have a quilt in there don't they. Bit silly if you can't even use them at first.

i didnt now this if you cant use these for 12 month what will you use until then or will you jst have it in the mosis basket until then? xxx

Well I was thinking moses basket in room for first 3 months, then maybe moses basket in cot from 3-6 months, depending on size of baby. Then after that in cot with sleeping pod and cot bumper?

May have to re-think now.

I am sure on my set it says not to be used till 12months plus which includes the bumper too. ( well i thought that anyway)
I may have to check maybe you can use the bumper sooner???? I will find out, do some searching!!

x

I just keep reading conflict options.. some ladies use them from day 1 some dont, so unsure which to advise, suppose its ALL DOWN to your OWN personal choice ladies.
x

I think on some of the bedding sets the use after 12 months of age is referring to the quilt rather than bumper.

I mean they sell crib sets in some shops that include a bumper (m&p) do these and you wouldn't put a baby over 12 months in a crib...?

When I had my daughter I was told that they should just have gro-bags or cellular blankets, a bottom sheet and nothing else due to some sort of advice on cot death.
That was 3 years ago so I'm not sure what the current advice is?
I think the idea is that you can layer cellular blankets according to their needs. They get too hot in quilts- something to do with not being able to regulate their body temp properly until they're 1.
The bumper thing I think is do do with them getting caught up in it and suffocating.... they can't even roll over to start with so a) that seems silly as they won't roll into it. And b) If they can't roll over they won't bang their head so don't need it anyway-- Confusing or what!
Anyway, it is silly that the shops do all those displays as you can't do them yourself until the baby's older :( They should set a better example lol!!
Like someone said, it's down to you at the end of the day, you're the mummy! Personally I'm too scared of cot death to use quilts and bumpers too soon but it's really up to you xxxx

I just reading re the bumper and someone finding there baby tucked up in the bumper when he was few months old struggling to breath and then one lady saying she used them from a young age and had no problems..

Thats why i say its personal choice as there are so many ladies saying its a good idea and some saying it isnt using bumpers from when you put baby in the cot..

I meant cot before not a crib. Unsure on rules of a crib as these are used in very early days arent they like moses basket.. I am referring to a bumper being used with a cot it seems to be down to PERSONAL choice.. If your unsure check with midwife but i thought you couldnt use them for the reason of getting stuck under. I always thought they were seen like the quilt anything that can cover there face may cause breathing issues.
x

its not recommended using a cot bumper from birth as it blocks ventilation they can become overheated which can cause cot death also they move around alot in thier sleep and babies have got thier heads stuck between the bumper and sides of the cot suffocating them same goes for quilts they become overheated or could suffocated as they cant move the quilt off thier face like we can its better to layers cotton blankets and add or remove to keep them warm but not too hot some people say wait til 12+ months to use those things and some say when baby can sit unaided like 6 months x

I've brought a set with cot bumper & quilt & from Next & it recommends not using the quilt till 12 months as babies can over heat?
& the bumper it says check the ties reguarly to make sure it remains fitted securely but remove once baby can sit unaided?
I've never used either with my previous 3 but i don't see what harm the bumper can do at first ventilation wise as the whole of the top of the cot is uncovered & all through the bars plus they will be in the feet at the bottom of the cot position so really far down from it for the first few months?

Thats what I find confusing about bumpers- we still sleep them 'feet to foot' right? The bumper goes at the top.... My brain hurts!
There's so much conflicting advice when you're preggers it's a wonder we haven't all gone mad by the time the baby comes! xx

Yep still feet to feet as far as i'm aware & they're so tiny in a big cot (i don't have a crib)
so surely that can't affect the ventilation & also u can buy alot of cots that are solid wood at the head & feet surely that would be seen to cut out alot of ventilation?
Mine has bars all the way round i think if i had a wriggly abby & i caught her right snuggled up under it i'd take it off but if she's a pretty still sleeper i don't see the harm at first? x

You could put the bumper at the top leaving a gap at the bottom of the cot for ventiliation this is one of the ideas a lady suggested on one of the sites i came across when searching about bumpers..

My advise from mothercare was that i could use a bumper till 6 months then you have to stop as baby can pull it off and get tangled up in it. The quilt is a big no no. Baby cant regulate there own temp. And also it could end up on there face. Also baby can kick it oiff. When you just get your Lo off to sleep and its taken ages. The last thing you want is them waking up cold. Research into gro bags ladys. Most sets probably have amatching one. It moves with the baby and they cant kick it off or kick it over there face. I out one of kacey as she kept kicking her blankets off and waking up cold at 3am. The 1st night she went in a sleeping bag she slept through the night. Obviously she was ready at this point and was just waking up cold. I still use a bumper on her cot cause she kept getting her arms and legs stuck in the bars then waking screaming. I was scared that she was going to bruise or really hurt herslef. But i have weaved the bumper in and out the cot bars and tied it tight.

Though they look cute the risks from bumpers seem to outweigh the benefits.

https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/legislation/pol/bumper-bordure-eng.php
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070918165353.htm
https://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/29/1/28-a

https://www.amazon.com/BreathableBa...s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1295901754&sr=1-2

These seem really nice and the reviews are nice. They also come in different colors.

i bought that M&P bedding set - bumper, quilt, pillowcase, mobile etc. Had it all set up with duvet for looks before LO was moved in, she's always had her bumper but still not used her quilt cos she wriggles so much she'll end up freezing! I keep her in a sleeping bag x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->