Managed to bring maternity leave forward a week

Lysal

Reaction score
I spoke to my headteacher today and asked if I could leave at the end of this week instead of next and she said yes. She actually said she had already written in the diary this week as she didn't think I'd make it another week. Now the reason I have moved it forward is simply that I have been getting bad heartburn if I hadn't I'd be fine to go another week so am a bit annoyed she just assumed I'd be going earlier - even more annoyed she was right.

Then she asked when I was coming back and I told her I was planning on taking 26 weeks and would be back a week before the xmas holidays. Then she said from the schools point of view it would be better for me to start after the holidays. Of course it would because then I'd only get SMP for the holidays instead of full pay. I also said I'd like to come back before the holidays so I can find out what I'm doing after so in january I can just get back into work without the first few days being wasted sorting timetables etc (I'm a special needs support teacher so have to spend a lot of time at the beginning of each term negotiating my timetable with class teachers).

She then said I could have up to a year off. I said yes but I wouldn't be paid for all of it. To which she said well baby comes first. It's ok for her as when she had her children her husband earned enough to support her and the cost of living was much lower so she could afford the full year off. Now I need to go back to work as , although baby needs his mum, he also needs food, a place to live, nappies etc. She actually made me feel guilty for wanting to work.

Glad to hear you can take your leave a bit earlier if you feel like you do with the heartburn.

Don't feel guilty about having to go back to work as you do what you have to to take care of your baby :). It's probably easier and cheaper for them to pay you less, but like she said: Baby comes first and in your case that means you'll go back to work to take care of the baby!

:hugs:

Great news that you're able to finish up a bit sooner but sounds like she likes to dictate exactly what you can do!!! I've found everyone has an opinion as to what they *think* is best, best to ignore them and do things your way xx

Thanks she does like to have control over everything. She is generally a nice woman but very domineering. It's not even like I'll be away from baby much when I am back at work as my mum is having baby while I'm at work and she lives in the same road as my school so I go there for lunch as it is.

Don't let her make you feel bad- everyone's circumstances are different and you have to do what is right for you. I'm a teacher as well and have a few ideas that may help you. Firstly, we are entitled to 39 weeks of maternity leave with pay- contractural then SMP. Also, any holidays that fall during your leave accrue and you should get full pay for them at the end of your leave- just clarify this with your hr rep. You can also take what are called Kit days- keeping in touch days. So you could officially start back after Xmas and still claim full pay for the holiday and go in a couple of days before the holidays to sort out your timetable so you feel ready to go back. Hope this helps, lucky you going on mat leave early too- I'm working up till 37 weeks and with a year 4 class I can't wait for it all to be over! Good luck x

I'm a teacher as well and working until next Friday (almost 36 wks) and I'm counting down the days now! It's none of her business to tell you when to go back. My head wanted me to leave at this half term as it would have been easier for her, but I want longer after with the baby. I will only be having off until the money stops, but like you will then have to go back. Don't let her make you feel guilty, just do what's right for you and baby. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->