Manual or Electric Breast Pump.

sue_88

Reaction score
I'm going to be breast feeding my daughter (all being well!) and I wonder what pump type would be better for my situation.

I don't have a partner so the need to express isn't great but it would be nice on occasion when they visit (1 time a week) to have my little sister or parents give her a feed.

I was thinking about getting an electric (well after she's born, won't be needing it sooner) but now I'm wondering if getting a manual would be better for my little use of it?

What do you think? Any good reviews for a manual pump?
:flower:

I have just bought an electric Avent comfort. Was going to go manual but all my girlfriends who have had babies told me that electric was best ( some of them had gone manual & ended up having to get their partner to go out and do a mad dash to the shop to buy electric as manual wasn't great).

We got an electric as I heard the manual ones are hard work. With the electric one you can just sit back and read or listen to music or whatever you want to do :)

I've always had an electric breast pump, Medela mini electric pump...I was given the first pump from SIL and used it for DD and DS, bought one from a lady on here this time round...second hand is better than buying new IMO as you may not use it much...as long as you wash all parts and sterilise before use it will be fine.

Oh and just to add, my sister had a manual pump and it took her forever and she never got on with it and ended up giving up BF as her little boy was unable to latch due to tongue tie and she had to pump constantly, I reckon if she had an electric pump she would of been a lot better, who knows though really, I think she maybe just never had enough milk as baby wasn't suckling and stimulating supply? :shrug:

X

I bought a manual advent with my DD, and I found it to be incredibly frustrating and useless. I actually threw it out and brought a Medela manual. Sooo much better... Having said that though, in hindsight, I wish that I had bought an electric. I'll see how I go with this LO with my existing manual, but if it sh!ts me too much, I'll buy an electric.

I had a manual medala last time which was great but really made my hand ache!!! This time if I get a pump I will get an electric one. It's a lot of hassle to get 6oz out by hand and its always nice for everything to be easy as poss :)

I started out with a manual and after a week gave in and got an electric one. The manual one took forever and leaked. Plus like others have said my hands were killing me by the time I got a few ounces. You cant do anything else while pumping and witht the manual it took so long and then had to switch sideds and start again. With the manual I got two breast done in half of the time. NOW with this pregnancy I am going even a step further...I ordered one of the breast pump bras that hold the pumps onto you so you have both hands free because even it the electric ones you still need to hand hold in place for the 20 + minutes. This way with the new bra I will still have both hands free to do whatever I need to do for baby and toddler while being pumped :)

For occasional use manual is fine for many women and some women find they respond better to a manual pump than an electric one, there was even a lady on here once who was using a manual to exclusively express as she found she responded best to it. I think many have only tried the Avent manual which works fantastically for some ladies but is terrible for others. There are a lot of other alternatives out there. The first years manual pump gets excellent reviews and I also have an NUK manual which has a very powerful hydraulic pump to it so one pump of that handle is like doing ten on another brand and adjustable suction and cycling. Have also heard the Medela manual is great and I am sure there are others. I have in the past had an Ameda lactaline and found the suction and cycling just wasn't adjustable enough to properly simulate a let down of milk and so getting 1-2oz of milk out took over 40 minutes. The hospital grade pumps are better though to be honest I can't get anything more out with those than with a manual and it takes longer. I'd personally say but the manual and then see. If you're someone who doesn't respond too well to any pump then an electric one isn't going to make a huge difference and you will have ended up wasting money xx

For occasional use manual is fine for many women and some women find they respond better to a manual pump than an electric one, there was even a lady on here once who was using a manual to exclusively express as she found she responded best to it. I think many have only tried the Avent manual which works fantastically for some ladies but is terrible for others. There are a lot of other alternatives out there. The first years manual pump gets excellent reviews and I also have an NUK manual which has a very powerful hydraulic pump to it so one pump of that handle is like doing ten on another brand and adjustable suction and cycling. Have also heard the Medela manual is great and I am sure there are others. I have in the past had an Ameda lactaline and found the suction and cycling just wasn't adjustable enough to properly simulate a let down of milk and so getting 1-2oz of milk out took over 40 minutes. The hospital grade pumps are better though to be honest I can't get anything more out with those than with a manual and it takes longer. I'd personally say but the manual and then see. If you're someone who doesn't respond too well to any pump then an electric one isn't going to make a huge difference and you will have ended up wasting money xx

Thank you :thumbup: :)

I really only be expressing once a week - or even once every two weeks, depends how often I see my family....other than that - no one else will need to (or want to) feed the baby. Cuddles will surfice for friends.

So I think I will start with a manual and see where we get too......if I am still breast feeding by March 2014 when I return to work, and know I response well to a pump, I will invest in a good electric.

Thanks everyone! X

Sounds like a good plan. I really don't think it's worth buying electric for the moment if its going to be a once a week thing xx

I had tommee tippee manual which i could hardly get any out with... like 2oz in 45 minutes. Bought a tommee tippee electric and the only difference was my hand didnt hurt! lol. As summer rain said some women dont respond well to either

I had a medela swing first time and just bought one for a bargain on amazon thanks to another members link.

It was so easy to use and offered relief when my breasts felt heavy and full. I'm gonna be less anal about expressing this time round as I ended up throwing so much frozen away because it just smelt sour when defrosted. I plan to breast feed and if I am too tired or my nipples are sore that I can't bear ds to latch on, I'll express (I may even top up with ff this time)

I got a manual myself, just in case I need to express a little milk to avoid engorgement. An electric is good if you are going to use it everyday , going back to work and need to build a stash of breast milk etc. I'm not working at the moment and I'm going to give natural breast feeding a really good try.
If it doesn't work at all, BF and manual bump, I'm simply going to formula. I'm not willing to have to deal with a machine everyday/all day.

I'm one of those people who respond better to a manual pump. I actually ditched my double electric pump for a single manual when my LO was about 4 months old, and I've been pumping with it nearly every day since. I don't find it to be hard work, really. I actually find it easier to use because you're a little more free to move about, I felt like I was attached to a machine with my double electric.

For occasional use I would definitely just buy a single manual to start out with. In my case I spent the $150 on the electric first and only get use out of the manual I spent a third of the price on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->