Mastitis advice please help!

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Central Perk, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Central Perk

Central Perk Well-Known Member

Hello there! My daughter is just over two weeks old and breastfeeding has been going brilliantly, last week she gaine 15 ounces!

Thursday I came down with infectous Mastitis and was very poorly I've still been nursing and always start with that breast but the milk flow is very slow and she just gets sleepy on that side and when I swap her to the other side she gulps and gulps.

How do I increase the flow? I'm pumping after her feeds to try and stimulate it. I'm really panicky that she isn't going to gain weight and I'm not going to get the milk flowing again in that breast.

I breastfed my son for 11.5 months with no problems and would be devasted if I couldn't do the same for my daughter:nope:

2. freckleonear

freckleonear Crunchy mummy

You're doing exactly right, keep putting her on that breast and keep expressing for a while too. It's quite common for mastitis to temporarily reduce supply in the affected breast but once you've completely recovered it should start to return to normal. Make sure you look after yourself and drink plenty of fluids too. :hugs:

3. Kaites

Kaites Well-Known Member

you could take some ibuprofen too- it'll help reduce the inflammation and that might make things flow better too :flower:

Try to get some rest too :hugs: