Maternity Allowance Help - so stressed :(!

nicolefx

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone here can maybe put my mind at ease a little as after speaking to 4 different people from different departments today no one has been able to give me a definate answer :nope:. Basically my situation is this. Last year I was a student and got enough money from college and grooming the occasional dog without really needing a job. However, I was employed at Christmas from the 12/12/10 to the 31/12/10 by Next. It was a temporary job for the festive season. I was then employed by Home Fundraising from the 22/02/11 to 01/04/11. After I left college I started looking for a full time job and started with Sky on the 8/08/11. I am still employed by Sky but I am currently on maternity leave - a bit earlier than expected as I was working 11 hour shifts and travelling 1 and a half hours to work, thought I would be able to cope till 38 weeks but I gave up LOL! My question is this - my test period where I would have had to have been employed for 26 weeks is from September till the 19th of December - so because I have went on maternity leave will I still be classed as employed? If I am still classed as employed then it will be fine as overall I will have worked about 28/29 weeks ... but if not and they view it as my employment stopping on the day I went on maternity I won't have worked enough weeks and won't be entitled to it :nope:. Which is terrifying me because I have no idea how we are supposed to get by on just OH's wage which is only 800/900 a month. I called today, spoke to 4 different people and they all just 'yeah I duno I think you should be okay' - not one of them could just tell me yes or no and it's really worrying me - I don't want to have to go through the next couple of weeks or however long it will take them to get back to me worrying about the fact I don't know if I will have money or not. I know you have to earn at least 30 pounds a week over the 26 week period and I have earned more than that on average. Just looking to see if anyone has any idea or has been in a similar situation :(. x

Ps. Posted in third tri too but just thought I would see if anyone in here had any advice.

Sorry, I don't know but I wouldn't have thought they can count you as unemployed just because you took maternity leave during your trial period, I would think that would class as some sort of discrimination? Have you called the Citizens' Advice Bureau?

my maternity leave started while i was still in my trial period and i get full pay if that helps you at all hun. i started work in nov 2010 with this company before that i have benn employed since april 2010 before that i had a couple of months between jobs but was employed continuously for a year or so before that never earning less than 10k a year
all work have said is when i return to work i will have to restart my 5 month trial again but im nt going in bk shh lol :-/

I would suggest going down to the Job Centre and speaking to someone. Why not apply for it and see what they say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->