Maternity bras? Please help

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by emz_x, Jun 2, 2011.

1. emz_x

emz_x Well-Known Member

Hi, I know I'm a bit early for this because I've been told I can't have a maternity bra fitting until I'm 38 weeks. However, I'm a bit worried about the type of bras I'll be able to wear whilst breastfeeding.

I had a bra fitting at Marks and Spencers a few days ago and all the woman seemed to do was criticise me because I was wearing an underwired bra. :dohh: She fitted me in some non-wired bras but these ones are absolutely awful They were the only ones they had in my size and they make my boobs look droopy and give me absolutely no support. I can even still see my nipples through them when I'm wearing a white top! They also come up way too high so they show above my tops and I think they look bloody awful tbh. I didn't realise all this until after I'd spent 40 pounds on them! :haha: I think I'm going to have to take them back.

I'm now back to my old bras, but have made it so they're looser at the back, and they feel fine for now. I think they'll be able to do until my proper bra fitting at 38 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone knew anywhere that do any good maternity bras? I also heard that underwired bras aren't necessarily bad to wear whilst breastfeeding as long as they're fitted properly. I have no idea what size I am now but I was a 32D pre pregnancy.
    Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

2. RebeccaG

RebeccaG Well-Known Member

Can't believe that lady in M&S! I have got through soooo many bras, can't believe it! I used to be 28DD and am now 30F! Is a nightmare getting bras. I found debenhams good, but it needs to be one of the bigger stores as the small ones don't do maternity. I have got quite a good shaped maternity bra and it def wasnt £40! Can't afford to spend that when I'm going through bras every few weeks! Hope you find a good bra soon hun! Underwear not fitting is the worst! x

3. Lilli

Lilli Well-Known Member

I've been wearing normal underwired in a bigger size and have a few non-wired maternity bras, but they are quite ugly! Mothercare is a bit more reasonable price wise...
    I think as long as the under-wiring isn't digging into your boobs, it's fine.
    And there are special bras for sleeping in if you need to have breast pads in after birth, they have no seams down the front and no wires... You could always go to M&S for measuring then buy them on line from a cheaper shop?
    I'm just finding it hard to find anything maternity on the high street!

4. emz_x

emz_x Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot. I definitely think I'll check out one of the bigger Debenhams and Mothercare :)

5. xcharx

xcharx Well-Known Member

I'd say try debebhnams :) there prob more reasonable price... have u tried mammas & pappas online?? Xx

6. emz_x

emz_x Well-Known Member

No, I haven't! Another great idea :) I've had a look at ASOS but they don't really have a great selection, and of course, Marks and Spencer :haha:

7. MrsF

MrsF My Little Miracle Man

i was a 34 dd, and am now 36f/g - and whne i was fitted at bravissimo, they said underwire is fine if it's not on the boob, or just under tight. i went to debenhams (and i hate bra shopping with a passion) and grabbed a few nursing bras in a variety of sizes. i was so surprised at the comfort and support especially as though i have some big puppies to support!!! i honestly cant remember the size as i went for comfort as well as support. there is enough room for stretch and they were £20 for 2. i then splashed out and bought a soft cup one to wear when i'm out (so you cant see the cup seams). sack m&s off, i hated how old and frumpy their bras made me feel. good luck x x

8. earthangel26

earthangel26 Well-Known Member

I think you must have gone to the same shop I did lol. I had a bra fitting at
    M+S yesterday and the lady who fitted me had a go at me for wearing an underwired bra too. I finally got a pack of 2 which fit reasonably well for £25. They aren't the most flattering of bras, but I figured that maternity bras aren't supposed to be. If I see some better ones elsewhere then I'll take them back.

9. leahsbabybump

leahsbabybump Mummy to 3

the reason they advise against under wired bras during pregnancy and breastfeeding is because the wires pressing down on you can causeyour milk ducts to get blocked
    i have been wearing a proper maternity bra since around 28 weeks due to pain from normal bras its nursing bras you cant be fitted for until you are 38 weeks pregnant
    this is all what a lady told me in mothercare :-/ i just got fitted for my nursing bras the other day i only bought a couple as you are supposed to get remeasured 2 weeks after baby born as your size could change again x

10. emz_x

emz_x Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone :) I'm definitely going to check out Debenhams. I had a look online and they seem to have a really good selection.

And that's pretty funny earthangel26 :haha: I'm going to take the ones I got back because they seem quite pointless. What's the point in having a bra if it doesn't hold your boobs up? :rofl:

Did anyone do much growing in the last eight weeks by the way?

11. emz_x

emz_x Well-Known Member

2 weeks after baby is born as well? Oh no.. I'm going to have no money left at this rate! :dohh: I don't think the woman in M&S knew what she was talking about. She definitely said maternity bra fitting at 38 weeks rather than nursing bra. For the time being, she just gave me regular underwired bras.

I found this article as well:- https://www.askbaby.com/is-it-safe-to-wear-underwired-bras-during-pregancy.htm

I think it's ok to wear underwired bras, if they're special maternity/nursing bras, because the wiring appears to be softer.

12. Ruby x

Ruby x Well-Known Member

im 30+3 and I dont think my boobs have even gone up half a size their just harder. I havent brought any new bras yet and their all underwired. If they get uncomfy I'll think about getting some new ones...